News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Covid vaccination status?

Started by hbelkins, March 04, 2021, 09:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your covid vaccination status?

I have taken the first shot, but not yet taken the second one.
22 (16.4%)
I have taken both shots.
74 (55.2%)
I plan to take the one-dose shot when it's available in my area.
4 (3%)
My priority group is not yet eligible, but I plan to take it when I can.
16 (11.9%)
I have not had covid and I don't plan to take the shot at all.
14 (10.4%)
I've already had covid so I don't need to/don't plan to take the shot.
3 (2.2%)
I've already had covid but I do plan to take the shot.
7 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 134

vdeane

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 17, 2021, 02:52:38 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 17, 2021, 02:29:00 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on April 16, 2021, 10:54:04 PM
First shot done. Second shot May 7th. Right after a physics exam.

I also have to drive an hour and twenty minutes (to York) to get my shots. Pleasant.

A colleague who lives in Weehawken is driving to Oneonta today for his second shot–around three hours each way.

What's up with that?  That's a hell of a long way just to have to likely wait again upon arrival at the vaccination site. 
NY tends to have more appointment availability in the rural areas (specifically, Oneonta, Utica, Syracuse, Potsdam, Plattsburgh, and Corning tend to nearly always have appointments available; other areas often don't).  As such, someone who just wants to go to the site, get the first available appointment they can, and then wait for it, will likely be going to one of those sites.  Appointments open often at the other sites, even on relatively short timeframes, but people often don't want to keep checking to see when NY opens up the next appointment batch.

That said, there's not much waiting around for a vaccine in NY.  Getting the appointment is the process.  Once you have it, things go very efficiently.  When I got my first dose at SUNY Albany*, I was in and out in just 20 minutes, including the 15 minute observation period after my shot.  I've seen photos of people waiting in line in other states like people trying to buy a PS5 on Black Friday and just shake my head.

I've even heard of people making the Long Island-Potsdam drive... now that's a long trip!

*I do wonder about the move to Crossgates Mall that was just done yesterday.  When I was there, it was like an assembly line - one door in, everything was one-way, separate door out.  I do not see how a similar setup could be made at Crossgates, especially if one wants to allow transit access.  Plus that area is always a zoo with shopping traffic, and they're adding vaccine traffic on top of it.  :ded:  I wish they could have waited a month so that I could get my second shot at SUNY Albany instead of there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Ketchup99

I also have to drive an hour and twenty minutes (to York) to get my shots. Pleasant.

I'm getting my second shot... on May 7... right after the physics exam... an hour and a half from here. Have I cloned myself accidentally?

dlsterner

Quote from: Ketchup99 on April 17, 2021, 11:36:10 PM

I'm getting my second shot... on May 7... right after the physics exam... an hour and a half from here. Have I cloned myself accidentally?

It was a side effect of the first shot.    :-D

Max Rockatansky

Punch a hole through Space Time by way of gravitational waves to get to your appointment on time. 

hbelkins

Quote from: vdeane on April 17, 2021, 11:18:06 PM
I've even heard of people making the Long Island-Potsdam drive... now that's a long trip!

I wouldn't walk across the room to take that shot.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 17, 2021, 06:04:50 PM

A colleague who lives in Weehawken is driving to Oneonta today for his second shot–around three hours each way.

What's up with that?  That's a hell of a long way just to have to likely wait again upon arrival at the vaccination site. 

I didn't ask him because he only mentioned it shortly before 5:00 Friday afternoon when it was time to sign off for the weekend. I did suggest he stop at the barbecue place Mapmikey recommended in Oneonta, though.

Quote from: Rothman on April 17, 2021, 03:53:31 PM

Isn't Weehawken in NJ?  Sounds like they're inappropriately crossing state borders for the vaccine.

He's eligible in New York because of his employment there. No issues at all on that front.
Why not get it in NJ?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on April 18, 2021, 12:50:16 AM

I didn't ask him because he only mentioned it shortly before 5:00 Friday afternoon when it was time to sign off for the weekend. I did suggest he stop at the barbecue place Mapmikey recommended in Oneonta, though.

Isn't Weehawken in NJ?  Sounds like they're inappropriately crossing state borders for the vaccine.

He's eligible in New York because of his employment there. No issues at all on that front.
Why not get it in NJ?

Isn't NJ all screwed up with their vaccination process right now?

jmacswimmer

Road observation related to vaccines: While heading north on I-83 just outside I-695 yesterday, I noticed that exits 16A, 16B, & 17 all had ramp traffic backing up into the right lane of I-83.  I'm almost certain this traffic was all heading to the Maryland state fairgrounds in Timonium, which recently became a state-run mass vaccination site. The overhead variable message signs on I-695 & I-83 in the area are encouraging all fairground traffic to take exit 17 (probably an attempt to take pressure off exit 16), but at least yesterday they were all borked anyway.

Has anyone observed anything like this anywhere else?
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

dlsterner

Quote from: jmacswimmer on April 18, 2021, 09:53:41 AM
Road observation related to vaccines: While heading north on I-83 just outside I-695 yesterday, I noticed that exits 16A, 16B, & 17 all had ramp traffic backing up into the right lane of I-83.  I'm almost certain this traffic was all heading to the Maryland state fairgrounds in Timonium, which recently became a state-run mass vaccination site. The overhead variable message signs on I-695 & I-83 in the area are encouraging all fairground traffic to take exit 17 (probably an attempt to take pressure off exit 16), but at least yesterday they were all borked anyway.

As far as Maryland goes, I was at the Waldorf site yesterday, and no lines until you entered the stadium parking lot, then only about 15 minutes start to finish.  Makes me glad I opted for Waldorf rather than one in a more urban area like Timonium or M&T Bank Stadium.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 18, 2021, 01:12:20 AM

Why not get it in NJ?

Not that I know of. It's pretty easy to get an appointment now in NJ

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 18, 2021, 10:24:16 AM

Why not get it in NJ?

I think it was more about age groups being released to get shots or something?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 18, 2021, 10:32:27 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 18, 2021, 10:24:16 AM

Why not get it in NJ?

I think it was more about age groups being released to get shots or something?

16+ starts Monday.

STLmapboy

Took my first shot of the Pfizer vax (only one approved for 16 year olds) on Friday, April 16. Got it at the St Luke's vaccine clinic at Chesterfield Mall (in the old H&M). Will get my second dose on May 7.

Had to sit out a water polo game due to a sore arm. Our star player also showed up with a hangover; he got his second jab of the vax the night before and decided to celebrate with his girlfriend. Bad idea. So we lost pretty dismally.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

1995hoo

Why not get it in NJ?

I haven't asked him, but I presume he probably got his first shot in New York when he did that in late March, so he likely went back to the same place. My brother did that–he lives in New Orleans and got his two shots in Biloxi. Shorter drive than my colleague made, though.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

noelbotevera

If you're referring to the AP Physics exam, then I take that on May 7. I also have family in State College right now...is this some kind of conspiracy?

I'm taking the SATs on May 8, the day after the second shot. Driving with a sore arm will be awkward.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

TravelingBethelite

Got my first shot of Pfizer yesterday at MU Health Care's clinic at Faurot Field - I'll get my 2nd same place on May 8th.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

bandit957

I just love it when a news outlet runs a story about when we can do certain things that almost everyone has been doing since last May. "When can you go to the movies? When you can go to the beach?" Their answer is always that it's a long way off even if you're vaccinated.

It's been more than 2 weeks since my second dose. (I was in one of the first tiers because of underlying conditions.) So who cares what I do now that I've been vaccinated? And why should I care what anyone else does, especially if they've been vaccinated? Even unvaccinated people have been doing all this stuff for 11 months.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

dlsterner

Quote from: noelbotevera on April 18, 2021, 12:15:08 PM

If you're referring to the AP Physics exam, then I take that on May 7. I also have family in State College right now...is this some kind of conspiracy?

Starting to wonder here ... has anybody ever seen noelbotevera and Ketchup99 together at the same time?  No?  Aha!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: dlsterner on April 18, 2021, 02:19:54 PM

Starting to wonder here ... has anybody ever seen noelbotevera and Ketchup99 together at the same time?  No?  Aha!

Maybe they are clones and are on the verge of discovering the horrible truth finally?

Also, I'm a couple days the since the second dose of a mix/match 1st shot Pfizer and 2nd shot Moderna vaccine regime.  No abnormalities to report, not even soreness.  Apparently the reason it went down like that is due to the vaccination site (a military base) receiving Moderna vaccines this time instead of Pfizer.  I have no idea if I had went at the four week interval like I was scheduled instead of five if that would have netted a second Pfizer shot.

Duke87

Quote from: bandit957 on April 18, 2021, 01:35:52 PM
I just love it when a news outlet runs a story about when we can do certain things that almost everyone has been doing since last May. "When can you go to the movies? When you can go to the beach?" Their answer is always that it's a long way off even if you're vaccinated.

It's been more than 2 weeks since my second dose. (I was in one of the first tiers because of underlying conditions.) So who cares what I do now that I've been vaccinated? And why should I care what anyone else does, especially if they've been vaccinated? Even unvaccinated people have been doing all this stuff for 11 months.

That's because those articles are inevitably written by some of the most neurotically risk-averse people out there, or the types who are beside themselves that we haven't adopted the Australia model of "one case is too many, lock everyone in their basement until the virus is domestically eliminated".

There is no single appropriate answer to "When can I do X?", since it depends both on your own underlying health and your level of risk tolerance. And of course, people being people, decisions are made based on perceived risk... not actual.

And that perception gets muddled because, well... lots of people in the US definitely underestimate the risk of covid and don't take it sufficiently seriously. But at the same time, lots of people also tend to overestimate the risk and take it more seriously than is really necessary. I suspect that many of the latter are, consciously or unconsciously, attempting to compensate for the former.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

J N Winkler

Quote from: jmacswimmer on April 18, 2021, 09:53:41 AMRoad observation related to vaccines: While heading north on I-83 just outside I-695 yesterday, I noticed that exits 16A, 16B, & 17 all had ramp traffic backing up into the right lane of I-83.  I'm almost certain this traffic was all heading to the Maryland state fairgrounds in Timonium, which recently became a state-run mass vaccination site. The overhead variable message signs on I-695 & I-83 in the area are encouraging all fairground traffic to take exit 17 (probably an attempt to take pressure off exit 16), but at least yesterday they were all borked anyway.

It has been locally, but not on freeways AFAIK, since none of the local vaccination centers is especially close to a freeway.

*  When I got my first shot at a one-day vaccination event on March 27, I had to sidestep congestion on neighborhood roads from people looking for places to park.

*  The main county-run vaccination site is the old downtown library, which had sat largely vacant since it closed in May 2018 (the new building opened the following month).  Even when it was still in service as a library, the parking lot to the south was like the surface of the moon, with potholes hardly ever repaired.  Now that much of this very auto-dependent city is filtering in and out for shots, there is an outcry for resurfacing.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

US 89

Traffic was pretty bad on Northside by the Mercedes-Benz stadium in Atlanta when I was over there a couple weeks ago, since the stadium is now a FEMA/Fulton County mass vaccine distribution site. It did not extend more than a few blocks away though.

tolbs17

2 days later, now i don't feel anything. My dad and brother gets their second ones tomorrow morning.

Ketchup99

That's the one, AP Physics... very much looking forward to my 2 on that right before my second dose. :biggrin: And is that a sibling at PSU or something? Perhaps this is some kind of vast conspiracy that neither of us have been cued into... I'm beginning to be concerned.
(And good luck on your SAT! I'm a senior so I'm happy to be done with all that crap  :) )

1995hoo

Poll updated since I got my second Pfizer shot this morning. Barely felt the needle at all. No side effects so far, but then it's only been just under an hour since I got the shot.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.