Regional Boards > Southeast

North Carolina

<< < (836/868) > >>

bob7374:

--- Quote from: Mapmikey on August 04, 2021, 04:08:37 PM ---
--- Quote from: LM117 on August 04, 2021, 03:13:25 PM ---The 2021-2022 state map is now available.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2021/2021-08-04-state-map-release.aspx

--- End quote ---

Of note is the dotted line for the remaining 540 loop is "Future I-540" in the inset.

US 70 has not been moved High Point to Greensboro (Rand McN already did this one).

I-885 not labeled nor shown as open.

--- End quote ---
Meanwhile. the Wilson inset has still not been corrected. It still lists US 117 as being concurrent with US 264 from I-95 and shows I-795 exit numbers for US 264 that were never changed. On the Triad inset they also list I-840 on the eastern section of the Loop with I-785.

sparker:
Any thoughts about the new (HPC #92) corridor designated along US 421 from Greensboro to I-95 near Dunn?  Seems to have emerged "out of the blue", so to speak.  If it had been intended as an intercity connector, the rational route would simply continue south along NC 87 to Fayetteville rather than turn east to the Dunn area -- unless the location of the I-95 interchange can be "massaged" so it's closer to the I-95/40 junction, so the new corridor could serve as a "relief route" for I-40 while avoiding the Triangle.  Nevertheless, I for one would have thought that any number of NC corridors would have gotten this treatment before the one that actually did -- namely US 74 between I-26, Charlotte, and Rockingham; NC 11 between US 70/I-42 and US 64/I-87, and even US 17 from Williamston south to the SC state line.  In-state politics probably has a large part to play here.   

RoadPelican:
NCDOT is supposed to start widening US 421 from Sanford to Broadway in 2022.  However, there are no other projects on the horizon for this corridor from Sanford to Dunn.  US 421 is just 2 lanes from Sanford to Lillington.  Also, US 421 goes right thru the center of Dunn and it is quite dangerous as it is just a 4 lane street with NO center turn lane or right turn lane and plenty of driveways!!!!   A lot of money would be needed for this to be an effective HPC.  It would provide better connectivity between Sanford and ENC and Wilmington, but money is better used on finishing I-74 between Asheville and Wilmington.  Also before US 421,  I would widen NC 11 to 4 lanes and finish the gap between Kenansville and Pink Hill, then one could travel between Greenville and Wilmington and never have to use any 2 lane roads.

Dirt Roads:

--- Quote from: sparker on August 06, 2021, 08:21:02 PM ---Any thoughts about the new (HPC #92) corridor designated along US 421 from Greensboro to I-95 near Dunn?  Seems to have emerged "out of the blue", so to speak.  If it had been intended as an intercity connector, the rational route would simply continue south along NC 87 to Fayetteville rather than turn east to the Dunn area -- unless the location of the I-95 interchange can be "massaged" so it's closer to the I-95/40 junction, so the new corridor could serve as a "relief route" for I-40 while avoiding the Triangle.  Nevertheless, I for one would have thought that any number of NC corridors would have gotten this treatment before the one that actually did -- namely US 74 between I-26, Charlotte, and Rockingham; NC 11 between US 70/I-42 and US 64/I-87, and even US 17 from Williamston south to the SC state line.  In-state politics probably has a large part to play here.   

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: RoadPelican on August 06, 2021, 08:54:17 PM ---NCDOT is supposed to start widening US 421 from Sanford to Broadway in 2022.  However, there are no other projects on the horizon for this corridor from Sanford to Dunn.  US 421 is just 2 lanes from Sanford to Lillington.  Also, US 421 goes right thru the center of Dunn and it is quite dangerous as it is just a 4 lane street with NO center turn lane or right turn lane and plenty of driveways!!!!   A lot of money would be needed for this to be an effective HPC.  It would provide better connectivity between Sanford and ENC and Wilmington, but money is better used on finishing I-74 between Asheville and Wilmington.  Also before US 421,  I would widen NC 11 to 4 lanes and finish the gap between Kenansville and Pink Hill, then one could travel between Greenville and Wilmington and never have to use any 2 lane roads.

--- End quote ---

Not finding NHS High Priority Corridor 92 on the radar yet.  But I'm certain that there will be a few corridors added to the NHS as part of the 2021 Infrastructure Bill, since earmarks are back on the table.  Oddly, the eastern part of this HPC-92 is contrary to NCDOT Strategic Transportation Corridor K that is just like the one sparker described (US-421 Greensboro -to- Sanford, NC-87 Sanford -to- I-95 Fayetteville) except that it continues to Southport along NC-87 staying south and west of the Cape Fear River.

Mapmikey:
I also believe going to Fayetteville makes more sense, unless the idea is to continue it along US 421 to Wilmington someday.

Number this and replace I-785 with I-83? :-|

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version