Regional Boards > Southeast

North Carolina

<< < (859/893) > >>

Strider:

--- Quote from: Strider on September 13, 2021, 08:06:25 PM ---
--- Quote from: Love2drive on September 13, 2021, 07:37:23 PM ---The widening project on interstate 40 between mile markers 180 and 182 is wrapping up.  The extra lanes are now open in that stretch.

--- End quote ---

Is it now 6 lanes or 8 lanes through that stretch towards Exit 180?

--- End quote ---

Six lanes
[/quote]

I will have to check it out one day. With I-40/I-77 interchange under construction in which I believe it will be 6 lanes on I-40, they should just extend the 6 laning of I-40 from Yadkin River Bridge to I-40/I-77 interchange area, IMO.

ARMOURERERIC:
Traffic on 40 is so heavy that they need 6 lanes to exit 94 now and 8 between 121 and 130, and possibly 103 to 105

cowboy_wilhelm:
Widening I-40 from Bermuda Run to Statesville would be overkill at this point as it's less than 40,000 AADT until you get to Statesville. There's more traffic on the other side from Statesville to Hickory, and from there to Morganton.

It's unfortunate that the current widening on I-40 at Statesville falls a bit short on the west side of the interchange since the lanes begin and end on the east side of Exit 150. They should have taken the opportunity to widen and improve to Exit 148. Those are some crappy and outdated interchanges. Nearly every bridge on I-40 between Hickory and Statesville lacks shoulders. Many of the ones between Morganton and Hickory are being replaced or are scheduled to be in the next several years. That has to be one of the oldest sections of I-40 in the state.

Last I saw, one section of the widening project in Hickory is still in the STIP, but scheduled for "post-year" and will probably be subjected to reprioritization. I think there is/was going to be a feasibility study for widening between US 64 in Morganton and Hickory, but I wouldn't expect that to happen in the next 30 years at the current rate we're going.

Nice view from Google of the huge fly-over under construction from I-40 WB to I-77 SB.

Strider:

--- Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on September 14, 2021, 08:23:24 AM ---Widening I-40 from Bermuda Run to Statesville would be overkill at this point as it's less than 40,000 AADT until you get to Statesville. There's more traffic on the other side from Statesville to Hickory, and from there to Morganton.

It's unfortunate that the current widening on I-40 at Statesville falls a bit short on the west side of the interchange since the lanes begin and end on the east side of Exit 150. They should have taken the opportunity to widen and improve to Exit 148. Those are some crappy and outdated interchanges. Nearly every bridge on I-40 between Hickory and Statesville lacks shoulders. Many of the ones between Morganton and Hickory are being replaced or are scheduled to be in the next several years. That has to be one of the oldest sections of I-40 in the state.

Last I saw, one section of the widening project in Hickory is still in the STIP, but scheduled for "post-year" and will probably be subjected to reprioritization. I think there is/was going to be a feasibility study for widening between US 64 in Morganton and Hickory, but I wouldn't expect that to happen in the next 30 years at the current rate we're going.

Nice view from Google of the huge fly-over under construction from I-40 WB to I-77 SB.

--- End quote ---

Not overkill. It is to prepare for possibly increasing capacity in the long term. It is probably one of the last stretches to be widened anyways. But yeah I do agree that I-40 needs to be 6 laned from Statesville and going west towards Hickory area. Isn't I-40 scheduled to have the interchange with US 64 in Morganton rebuilt anytime soon?

RoadPelican:
I-40 is slated to get widened to 6 lanes from Greensboro to Winston Salem but construction is not scheduled to start until 2027.  Number one priority for I-40 in NC is getting the widening done in Johnston County (under construction) then Orange and Durham Counties (should be done in 2025), then the triad and finally out west.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version