Regional Boards > Southeast

North Carolina

<< < (925/965) > >>

architect77:

--- Quote from: wriddle082 on January 19, 2022, 02:04:21 AM ---
--- Quote from: architect77 on January 19, 2022, 01:51:39 AM ---
--- Quote from: Dirt Roads on January 18, 2022, 07:45:37 PM ---
--- Quote from: wdcrft63 on January 17, 2022, 06:22:52 PM ---Backing up another half mile from Page Road (that is, about one mile from the I-540 exit) we have the Miami Boulevard exit. There must be some way to get an I-540 advance notice on this signage: https://goo.gl/maps/fkw3qgGWi2kUYraE8.

--- End quote ---

The bigger problem here is that the Durham Freeway has a left-hand onramp prior to Miami Boulevard.  Now that you've pointed out the lack of advance signs for I-540.  I'm wondering if NCDOT has intentionally omitted the advance signage to discourage movements from the Durham Freeway to the northern leg of I-540 (now it's simply I-540, as the southern leg has long been reposted as NC-540).  It is typical in North Carolina to give a lot of advance notification of an upcoming major interchange, at least 2 miles for arterials and usually 5 miles for freeways.  One of the main issues is when too much traffic crosses from the far left lanes to the far right lanes too soon (or vice versa, like the move on the Capital Beltway from the Cabin John to I-270), all of the traffic flow models predict the need for a flyover.  And that is not always the best solution.

--- End quote ---

I've never seen any 5 mile advance notice of an upcoming interchange in NC. But the one I always think of when Eastbound I-85/I-40 split apart approaching the Triangle. There's something grandiose about that interchange because over the years I had several people from Atlanta call me up saying they thought of me while passing the Raleigh exit off I-85..

I hope the diagramatic arrows were removed when the European style split signs became the norm a few years back.

--- End quote ---

On I-85 in Charlotte, approaching I-77 from either direction, the first guide signage occurs at either 1 mile or 3/4 mile, and on northbound 85 the guide signs list US 21 first!

I think itís an appropriate metaphor about how NCDOT feels about I-77 versus how they feel about I-85, as well as the mere existence of the I-77 Express Lanes and the horrible stretch b/w I-485 on the south end and I-277 Belk freeway.

--- End quote ---

architect77:

--- Quote from: wriddle082 on January 19, 2022, 02:04:21 AM ---
--- Quote from: architect77 on January 19, 2022, 01:51:39 AM ---
--- Quote from: Dirt Roads on January 18, 2022, 07:45:37 PM ---
--- Quote from: wdcrft63 on January 17, 2022, 06:22:52 PM ---Backing up another half mile from Page Road (that is, about one mile from the I-540 exit) we have the Miami Boulevard exit. There must be some way to get an I-540 advance notice on this signage: https://goo.gl/maps/fkw3qgGWi2kUYraE8.

--- End quote ---

The bigger problem here is that the Durham Freeway has a left-hand onramp prior to Miami Boulevard.  Now that you've pointed out the lack of advance signs for I-540.  I'm wondering if NCDOT has intentionally omitted the advance signage to discourage movements from the Durham Freeway to the northern leg of I-540 (now it's simply I-540, as the southern leg has long been reposted as NC-540).  It is typical in North Carolina to give a lot of advance notification of an upcoming major interchange, at least 2 miles for arterials and usually 5 miles for freeways.  One of the main issues is when too much traffic crosses from the far left lanes to the far right lanes too soon (or vice versa, like the move on the Capital Beltway from the Cabin John to I-270), all of the traffic flow models predict the need for a flyover.  And that is not always the best solution.

--- End quote ---

I've never seen any 5 mile advance notice of an upcoming interchange in NC. But the one I always think of when Eastbound I-85/I-40 split apart approaching the Triangle. There's something grandiose about that interchange because over the years I had several people from Atlanta call me up saying they thought of me while passing the Raleigh exit off I-85..

I hope the diagramatic arrows were removed when the European style split signs became the norm a few years back.

--- End quote ---

On I-85 in Charlotte, approaching I-77 from either direction, the first guide signage occurs at either 1 mile or 3/4 mile, and on northbound 85 the guide signs list US 21 first!

I think itís an appropriate metaphor about how NCDOT feels about I-77 versus how they feel about I-85, as well as the mere existence of the I-77 Express Lanes and the horrible stretch b/w I-485 on the south end and I-277 Belk freeway.

--- End quote ---

No, I-77 isn't the ugly stepchild that's neglected.

It was the local (Albemarle office) NCDOT division's choice many years ago on whether to spend a huge amount of funding on completing I-485 as a full circle when using I-85 would have made it a loop like Raleigh's beltline uses I-40,

or using that funding to widen I-77 which is the #1 or #2 most heavily travelled freeway in the state.

They chose to use years and years of allocated funding on I-485. I-77 would have to wait for many years.

You have to remember they try to be fair with the funding and spread it thinly across the whole state. McCrory improved the way funding is divvyed out. Projects are now scored on how much benefit comes to the most people which steers more towards urban areas.

VTGoose:

--- Quote from: architect77 on January 20, 2022, 10:20:19 PM ---

--- End quote ---

Quite the opposite. For as long as I have been traveling on I-77, it seems that there is always some section under construction. I wondered if there was something in the state constitution that required this almost continuous work.

architect77:

--- Quote from: VTGoose on January 21, 2022, 01:11:50 PM ---
--- Quote from: architect77 on January 20, 2022, 10:20:19 PM ---

--- End quote ---

Quite the opposite. For as long as I have been traveling on I-77, it seems that there is always some section under construction. I wondered if there was something in the state constitution that required this almost continuous work.

--- End quote ---

It does need more lanes though from teh SC line to at least where the HOV lanes begin. That will be a herculean task though involving land purchases and staging that will complicate and slow the rebuild. Probably $3-5 billion I would estimate.

Mileage Mike:
I don't think they "hate" I-77. The issue is that 77 mostly just serves the Charlotte Metro while 85 serves all the major metros in the state and is by far the most important highway in the state overall. It was also cheaper and easier to expand 85 rather than 77. The part specifically from the SC border to I-277 in Uptown Charlotte will be a project in scale and cost that NCDOT has never done before.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version