AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: I-73 & I-74 in S.C.  (Read 134757 times)

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

• Last Login: August 27, 2020, 03:56:45 PM
I-73 & I-74 in S.C.
« on: October 23, 2013, 09:39:42 AM »

Here is a link to NCDOT's I-74 Feasibility Study for this area (click on the I-74 Feasibility Study Report pdf link toward the bottom of the page):
http://www.ncdot.org/projects/I74feasibility/
There are maps on pages 31/46 and 32/46  of the above pdf which shows how I-74 would fit into North Carolina's looooong-term transportation strategy.  The maps include an extension of I-20 from Florence, SC to Wilmington; I-74 and I-20 multiplex for a relatively short distance, and then I-74 branches off and I-20 continues into Wilmington.  Also, the maps assume I-74 will have a terminus in Myrtle Beach; I-74, after leaving I-20, goes down to the US 17 corridor and follows it to Myrtle Beach.
(above quote from Interstate 73/74 thread)

Here is a snip of one of the above-referenced maps that shows the recommended extension of I-74 to Myrtle Beach:

North Carolina is waaaay ahead of South Carolina in regard to I-73 and I-74.  The "Interstate 73/74" thread primarily receives posts about North Carolina developments.  I decided to start this thread in order to have a separate place for South Carolina's early stage developments (it should be similar to the "I-73 in VA" thread in that developments will be relatively few and far between).

Above said, this Oct. 22 article caught my eye.  It primarily has no real news about I-73: a governor running for re-election tells Myrtle Beach constituents that she supports I-73 as long as the feds pay for it (dog bites man).  However, the article also mentions that the governor had to field a question about "a connector with Interstate 74 in North Carolina.":

Bringing Interstate 73 to the Grand Strand would help increase business opportunities and jobs, Gov. Nikki Haley told constituents in Myrtle Beach on Monday ....
Connie Starner of Murrells Inlet said she told Haley that many people don't even want to vacation on the Grand Strand because they don't want to drive here on the smaller roads.
"We really need an interstate," she said.
Starner said Haley told her that while she supports the construction of I-73, funding the project is something that needs to be done by the U.S. Congress, something she also told those at the Realtors conference about the suggestion of constructing a connector with Interstate 74 in North Carolina.
Starner was one of about six constituents who scored one-on-one meetings with the governor Monday in Myrtle Beach. Those interested in sharing concerns with Haley had to schedule appointments Friday at 9 a.m. and the spots were filled within 10 minutes, according to callers who weren't able to get an appointment with Haley but showed up to the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce for a chance to share a word with the governor.

I know an extension of I-74 comes up every so often in roadgeek circles, but I was surprised that the governor received a question about it.

Since both I-73 and I-74 were mentioned in the article, so begins a new thread (unless the mods want to merge it into the larger thread).

Or, maybe this post should somehow be merged into the recent Status on Interstate entering Myrtle Beach area, with that thread being moved to the "Southeast" page (although the intent of this thread is to cover both corridors throughout their entirety in South Carolina).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 02:13:55 PM by Grzrd »

DeaconG

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:01:52 PM
Re: I-73 & I-74 in S.C.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 03:57:27 PM »

Is that a multiplexing with I-20/US 74 I see on that map?  Is SC down with that (I'm sure Wilmington would be)?
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 04:05:19 PM »

Is that a multiplexing with I-20/US 74 I see on that map?  Is SC down with that (I'm sure Wilmington would be)?

http://people.duke.edu/~rmalme/i74seg18.html

As part of Gov. Easley's 2003 proposal (see text and map link above), US 74-76 from Whiteville to Wilmington would be upgraded to an interstate, and be designated as part of an extension of I-20 from Florence, SC to the Wilmington Outer Loop (I-140) (As of now there is no proposal for I-20 to take over I-140's route to I-40, I-20 may continue, however along US 74-76 to downtown Wilmington as shown on a Strategic Highway Corridors map of the area). I-20 would total about 60 miles in NC and I-74 and I-20 would be routed together for 22 miles from just west of Whiteville to near Bolton. There does not appear to be much support for this plan in South Carolina, however. On March 22, 2004 Rep. Mike McIntyre held a series of "I-74/I-20 Rallies" in his district, which includes Wilmington, to help jump start lobbying efforts for building I-20. According to an article written covering the event, the I-20 proposal was losing steam due to SC's determined efforts to get funds for I-73, a road that would parallel much of the proposed I-20 routing. An SCDOT spokesman is quoted in the same article as confirming I-73 is the top priority and saying "(t)here are no plans or thoughts of the I-20 extension." (13) NCDOT at the SCDOT I-73 Summit in February 2005 gave in on having I-20 be part of the discussions about final routing for I-73 and I-74, allowing for an agreement on border routings to occur, see I-74 Segment 19 and I-73 Segment 13. (14) Though some officials are still optimistic. (17) The new SAFETEA-LU transportation act signed by President Bush in August 2005 contains $5 million for NC to study extending the I-20 route to Wilmington. SC did not request similar moneys, however. As it looks now, I-20 will not be routed east of Florence any time soon.

Molandfreak

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:57:29 PM
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 04:17:16 PM »

Why don't they just truncate U.S. 74/76?
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Strider

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:31:52 PM
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 08:13:17 PM »

I don't know. this is NC we are talking about.

But, I am glad SCDOT is focusing on I-73 first as they should be doing. I-74 is not going to get extended through southeast NC anytime soon due to its proposed routing goes across awfully a lot of wetlands (as you see on the proposed routing map).

But Myrtle Beach doesn't need 2 interstates going there. I would keep I-73 and forget I-74. I also heard they are planning to have another road built going west of SC 22 and US 501 interchange as "SELL" which it will form a beltway around the Myrtle Beach area.

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 09:56:54 PM »

Here is a snip of one of the above-referenced maps that shows the recommended extension of I-74 to Myrtle Beach .... this Oct. 22 article ... mentions that the governor had to field a question about "a connector with Interstate 74 in North Carolina".

This TV video report is primarily about Gov. Haley's support for I-73, but it also includes a map that shows US 74 ending in Wilmington:

Although the map does label the route to Wilmington as US 74 instead of I-74, maybe the mapmaker intended an I-74 label and this map explains why Gov. Haley had to field a question about a "connector" to I-74 instead of I-74 itself (I-73 is not expressly labeled in South Carolina, either)?

english si

• Last Login: July 02, 2022, 05:33:16 AM
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 08:16:48 AM »

But Myrtle Beach doesn't need 2 interstates going there. I would keep I-73 and forget I-74.
I-74 is a crappy number, and the route in NC is stupid, but a freeway along the coast towards Wilmington, while not as important as I-95 to Myrtle Beach, is probably more important for SC than I-73 north of I-95.

I-20 to Wilmington via Myrtle Beach! I-73 can just end at I-95 when it's done.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 08:31:33 AM »

But Myrtle Beach doesn't need 2 interstates going there. I would keep I-73 and forget I-74.
I-74 is a crappy number, and the route in NC is stupid, but a freeway along the coast towards Wilmington, while not as important as I-95 to Myrtle Beach, is probably more important for SC than I-73 north of I-95.

I-20 to Wilmington via Myrtle Beach! I-73 can just end at I-95 when it's done.
Yes, a freeway along the coast is important. That's US 17, not I-74.

english si

• Last Login: July 02, 2022, 05:33:16 AM
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 08:36:55 AM »

However the US17 freeway project in SC is currently called I-74.

Also, I'm pretty sure I stated that the number is crap, and the I-74 route in NC is stupid, and that I'm thinking of a freeway from Myrtle Beach towards/to Wilmington...

That I didn't use the phrase US17 is neither here nor there - I described a US17 freeway in all but number (I gave it I-20).

Strider

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 12:08:10 PM »

Which is not needed really. just US 17 works just fine. SCDOT can build a expressway along SC 31/US 17 and move US 17 to replace SC 31.

I agree that despite me from NC, the routing of I-74 is stupid. However, I don't see I-74 being extended east of I-95 officially anytime soon (despite NCDOT already updating exit numbers near Whiteville area).

I care more about SCDOT finishing up I-73 as it is their important route (it should still have extended I-20 at the first place).

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 01:20:40 PM »

just US 17 works just fine.

FWIW I checked the National I-73/I-74/I-75 Corridor Association website to see what version of I-74 they are currently promoting.  In looking at their South Carolina map and their North Carolina map, it looks like they are not promoting the notion of I-74 in South Carolina.  Instead they have the eastern terminus of I-74 being at US 17 approximately halfway between Wilmington and the state line.

South Carolina:

North Carolina:

So, maybe the "I-74 Connector" would simply be an upgrade to US 17?

edit

This TV video report is primarily about Gov. Haley's support for I-73, but it also includes a map that shows US 74 ending in Wilmington

It looks like the map in the story is the National I-73/I-74/I-75 Corridor Association's North Carolina construction progress map.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 03:44:45 PM by Grzrd »

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 09:00:25 PM »

I checked the National I-73/I-74/I-75 Corridor Association website ... they have the eastern terminus of I-74 being at US 17 approximately halfway between Wilmington and the state line.

On the other hand, this October 12, 2013 article reports on a local Brunswick County N.C. official's description of "current plans" for the I-74 corridor as having I-74 go "into South Carolina":

Jim Bradshaw, executive director of the Brunswick County Economic Development Commission, said a new I-74 would "make it easier and less expensive for new and existing industries from other parts of North Carolina" to truck freight to and from the Port of Wilmington ....
One of the goals of the 74 Economic Development Corridor Alliance is to enlist state and federal officials and all counties along U.S. 74 to promote building of the interstate.
Current plans are to route I-74 through Whiteville east to Bolton, and then south toward Supply running along N.C. 211. From there it would go southwest through Shallotte and on into South Carolina.
Bradshaw said he would like to see the interstate continue east from Bolton to the new Wilmington Bypass first, and later go southwest to South Carolina.

According to the state Department of Transportation, there is no funding or construction date for any additional work on the I-74 corridor.

Lots of plans and not a lot of money..................

Strider

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 12:00:17 AM »

Which is why SCDOT should just focus on I-73 first. Building a connection to Myrtle Beach from I-95 is the most important section that needs to happen. I-74 can come in later.

WashuOtaku

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 04:23:49 PM
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 09:14:35 PM »

I-74 southeast of Bolton is currently on ice, but the plan is to connect with South Carolina along or parallel to US 17.

There is no plans to extend I-20 to Wilmington, NC; the map at the top of the thread is nearly a decade old, NCDOT has no projects or maps currently on site that mention I-20.

Yes, I-73 is a main focus for South Carolina, it has an obvious impact to the state compared to I-74.

roadman65

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:37:30 PM
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 08:04:04 PM »

However the US17 freeway project in SC is currently called I-74.

Also, I'm pretty sure I stated that the number is crap, and the I-74 route in NC is stupid, and that I'm thinking of a freeway from Myrtle Beach towards/to Wilmington...

That I didn't use the phrase US17 is neither here nor there - I described a US17 freeway in all but number (I gave it I-20).
Welcome to the real world of roading!  Many of us here in other posts detest the number I-74 altogether, but we do appreciate the freeways being created by it. 

For example the US 52 freeway from Winston- Salem to Mount Airy could have been a x77 or x40.  I-28, I-32,..., up to I-38 could be used from Rockingham eastward.  Yeah you are right about it being stupid as the whole master plan has I-73 or I-74 meeting and intertwining several times. Considering that one road is N-S and the other is E-W as well is very strange.  Then both ending up at Myrtle Beach to boot! 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 08:35:02 AM »

This article reports that SCDOT may be soliciting proposals for a new I-73 toll study in the relatively near future:

It appears the state Transportation Commission will again study whether to use tolls to pay for building Interstate 73 through northeastern South Carolina.
Transportation Commissioner Mike Wooten represents the state's 7th Congressional District where the interstate is planned and says he will ask for a study next month. The Department of Transportation staff is preparing a request for proposals for the study expected to cost as much as $200,000.
Wooten said tolls would probably be combined with other funding to pay for the road.
"Tolling is not going to be enough to pay for it,"
he said.
A smaller, less extensive study of using tolls was done in the last decade.

Two other articles:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2014/03/26/4123172/dot-to-study-impact-tolls-could.html

http://www.wbtw.com/story/25094159/transportation-officials-consider-study

Strider

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2014, 01:36:29 AM »

If it is any means to get I-73 built in SC, I am for it. I know we all hate tolls, but sometime in the future every road might be tolled. We might as well have to get used to it.

I think they would save money if they build the road, then add jersey barrier median instead of grass median. that's my opinion. (for example, look at I-76 in PA (the turnpike), but of course in modern interstate standards.

WashuOtaku

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2014, 10:55:15 AM »

I think they would save money if they build the road, then add jersey barrier median instead of grass median. that's my opinion. (for example, look at I-76 in PA (the turnpike), but of course in modern interstate standards.

Well, for various reasons (like safety and ease of expansion) they don't build them like that anymore.  Today, regardless the funding model, they have to follow interstate standards defined by AASHTO.

Strider

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 03:10:41 PM »

Well, for various reasons (like safety and ease of expansion) they don't build them like that anymore.  Today, regardless the funding model, they have to follow interstate standards defined by AASHTO.

Yeah I agree. Which is why they should have various alternatives listed for building interstates. I-85 is being widening to 8-12 lanes near Charlotte (between the Northeast I-485 interchange and exit 55) that uses jersey median..  I-73/74 through Asheboro is already done using jersey median and is already widening to modern standards. Look at I-40/85 between both splits (Greensboro & Hillsborough). Many places are doing it. I don't see what's the issue of having different options. A interstate doesn't have to be "shoulder, road, shoulder, (wide grassy median), shoulder, road, shoulder."

WashuOtaku

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 03:42:00 PM »

Yeah I agree. Which is why they should have various alternatives listed for building interstates. I-85 is being widening to 8-12 lanes near Charlotte (between the Northeast I-485 interchange and exit 55) that uses jersey median..  I-73/74 through Asheboro is already done using jersey median and is already widening to modern standards. Look at I-40/85 between both splits (Greensboro & Hillsborough). Many places are doing it. I don't see what's the issue of having different options. A interstate doesn't have to be "shoulder, road, shoulder, (wide grassy median), shoulder, road, shoulder."

Goes back to ease of expansion, because the median is already on by NCDOT, allowing them to widen those freeways like in I-85.  The section in Asheboro pre-dates I-73/I-74, which is why it is what it is and simply widen it enough to give it real shoulders and such; if they decide one day that Asheboro needs six-lanes there, they would have to buy a lot of right-of-way and possibly rebuild the bridges.

What I am getting at is that it allows future expansion, if needed, at a lower cost.

Strider

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2014, 09:31:16 PM »

What I am getting at this one is that it does not have to be grassy median, whether it is for future expansion or not. There should be choices. If we are keen on one choice for modern interstate design, the cost is going to increase and it is going to be awfully expensive to build a new interstate. There is always a choice.

If it is up to me, I'd build it just like an turnpike.

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 10:03:55 PM »

this Oct. 22 article caught my eye ... the article also mentions that the governor had to field a question about "a connector with Interstate 74 in North Carolina."
This article reports that contracts will soon be let for "the final phase of S.C. 31", which is an extension of the southern (non-N.C. state line) end of S.C. 31 :
S.C. 31 will be extended from its current stopping point at S.C. 544 to S.C. 707 just north of Moss Creek Road, covering almost four miles .... The cost for this segment will be close to $230 million
(bottom quote from South Carolina thread)

This article reports that savings resulting from construction on the "southern end" may allow for an extension of S.C. 31 to the North Carolina state line, which may in turn encourage North Carolina to build the final piece of an eventual "link" to I-74:

S.C. 31 could be extended to the North Carolina line if Horry County leaders can use proposed surplus funds from the current extension project on the south end of the county.
Horry County leaders are hoping to convince State Infrastructure Bank officials to let them use a planned $50 million savings from the southern extension of S.C. 31 on a proposed project to extend the road to the North Carolina state line.
A North Carolina transportation official said that move just may bump up North Carolina’s plans to connect that highway to U.S. 17 near Shallotte, N.C., creating a highway connection from Georgetown County to the middle of Brunswick County, N.C.
Construction is underway to extend S.C. 31 by 3.8 miles from its current south end to S.C. 707, which will include a bridge over the Intracoastal Waterway, was estimated to cost $237 million. Most recent cost estimates have come in between $187 million and $197 million, a savings of $39 million to $49 million.
It was music to Councilman Harold Worley’s ears. Worley has been working to get S.C. 31 extended to the north — which officials say will eventually link into Interstate 74 in North Carolina — since 1994. ....
Patrick Riddle, division 3 planning engineer for the N.C. Department of Transportation, said the S.C. 31 connector project is currently listed as a Priority 3, which means it’s unfunded. However, he said, if South Carolina were to get the ball rolling, there’s no telling how quick the project can move up the priority list.
“If South Carolina were to come up with the money, what would happen in North Carolina? Who knows,”  Riddle said. “North Carolina may be able to move to do something and vice versa. It’s a very wide open plain. There just so many different options out there. You could free something up, but who knows. It’s just broad.”

Henry

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:22:35 PM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2014, 02:38:06 PM »

The question remains, will this become I-74 or a spur off it? I've read about arguments that I-74 should go to Wilmington, but this will be interesting.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

WashuOtaku

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2014, 06:02:52 PM »

The question remains, will this become I-74 or a spur off it? I've read about arguments that I-74 should go to Wilmington, but this will be interesting.

The law, written by the U.S. Congress, states that I-73/I-74 goes into South Carolina; there is also a compact between the two states agreeing where the interstates will cross and both DOTs have documents and maps showing the possible routing of Interstate (NCDOT even has it ranked on its new fund model, which doesn't look good for it).  There is no official documentation that say contrary to this routing.  So there is no argument here, except with the people in Wilmington that want a second interstate to the city.

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 07:31:07 AM »

Going back to this argument from a couple weeks ago, Interstate standards (which are actually defined by FHWA, not AASHTO) do allow for a paved median with median barrier.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.