News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-73 & I-74 in S.C.

Started by Grzrd, October 23, 2013, 09:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WashuOtaku

Quote from: The Nature Boy on March 14, 2015, 10:18:41 AM
The way that South Carolina is treating I-73 is a crock of BS.

The whole Pee-Dee/Grand Strand area usually gets screwed when it comes to roads and infrastructure by the state.

Grzrd

This article reports on possible Presidential candidate Donald Trump providing some political theater (theater of the absurd?) regarding I-73 in South Carolina by quoting him saying that I-73 needs to be built and that "environmentalists' concerns" have delayed the construction of I-73:

Donald Trump swept through the Grand Strand Saturday showcasing his signature repertoire of barbs and bluster.
The real estate tycoon, who says he's considering a bid for the White House next year, blasted President Barack Obama, environmentalists and the Chinese — among other targets — during stops at the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce and the Horry County Republican Party Convention, where he was the keynote speaker ....
Trump blamed environmentalists' concerns for delaying the construction of I-73, a proposed interstate that would run from Myrtle Beach to Michigan.
"China's building islands in the middle of the sea,"  he said. "You think they did an environmental impact study? They just dumped the [expletive] right there."  ....
Trump said Myrtle Beach has a bright future but needs to improve access to the area, specifically by building I-73.

"Everything that I know about Myrtle Beach is that it's very hard to get to,"  he said, though he noted the community has some natural assets. "When you have ocean, you have a big advantage over everybody. I always say I've never lost money on an ocean, a lake or a river and oceans would be best."  ....
On environmentalists: "Nobody believes this, but I get awards all the time for good environment deeds. ... I have a great relationship with some [environmentalists]. But a lot of these people are bad people. A lot of them are phonies. They make money off the environment. They fight you just to make fees."
On Myrtle Beach: "I always liked Myrtle Beach. ... I always had a great feeling for Myrtle Beach. And actually I feel that you don't get your just due. You're a little bit underrated. You really have a great place. You have incredible weather. You have some really good courses, not all. Because nobody has all good."

Henry

Quote from: Grzrd on April 12, 2015, 12:42:45 PM
This article reports on possible Presidential candidate Donald Trump providing some political theater (theater of the absurd?) regarding I-73 in South Carolina by quoting him saying that I-73 needs to be built and that "environmentalists' concerns" have delayed the construction of I-73:

Donald Trump swept through the Grand Strand Saturday showcasing his signature repertoire of barbs and bluster.
The real estate tycoon, who says he’s considering a bid for the White House next year, blasted President Barack Obama, environmentalists and the Chinese – among other targets – during stops at the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce and the Horry County Republican Party Convention, where he was the keynote speaker ....
Trump blamed environmentalists’ concerns for delaying the construction of I-73, a proposed interstate that would run from Myrtle Beach to Michigan.
“China’s building islands in the middle of the sea,” he said. “You think they did an environmental impact study? They just dumped the [expletive] right there.” ....
Trump said Myrtle Beach has a bright future but needs to improve access to the area, specifically by building I-73.

“Everything that I know about Myrtle Beach is that it’s very hard to get to,” he said, though he noted the community has some natural assets. “When you have ocean, you have a big advantage over everybody. I always say I’ve never lost money on an ocean, a lake or a river and oceans would be best.” ....
On environmentalists: “Nobody believes this, but I get awards all the time for good environment deeds. … I have a great relationship with some [environmentalists]. But a lot of these people are bad people. A lot of them are phonies. They make money off the environment. They fight you just to make fees.”
On Myrtle Beach: “I always liked Myrtle Beach. … I always had a great feeling for Myrtle Beach. And actually I feel that you don’t get your just due. You’re a little bit underrated. You really have a great place. You have incredible weather. You have some really good courses, not all. Because nobody has all good.”
Those environmentalists need to be fired, and I-73 built ASAP.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on May 12, 2014, 09:20:43 PM
Quote from: Henry on April 15, 2014, 02:38:06 PM
The question remains, will this become I-74 or a spur off it? I've read about arguments that I-74 should go to Wilmington, but this will be interesting.
This May 1 article does not definitively answer Henry's question because it reports that the Carolina Bays Parkway/S.C 31 may become part of the "I-74 system" in the foreseeable future and that it, not I-73, would be Horry County's first interstate highway:
Quote... with more than $50 million left from the latest ride projects Horry County Council Chairman Mark Lazarus, Councilman Harold Worley and Representative Tracy Edge are calling for the surplus to be allocated to extend the Carolina Bays Parkway northward into North Carolina to link with Interstate 74.
As a result of Edge's legislation the Carolina Bays Parkway would become part of the I-74 system thus giving Horry County it's first interstate highway as well as provide traffic congestion relief for the Little River area ...

This April 9 article reports that Horry County's RIDE III committee has allocated about $89.8 million toward the 4 1/2-mile project to extend S.C. 31 to about Hickman Road in North Carolina if a sales tax referendum passes in 2016:

Horry County's RIDE III committee allocated its final $203 million toward road projects its committee members would like to see done if a sales tax referendum passes in 2016.
Now that list is sent to a six-member commission which will review the projects, prioritize them and send them to the full county council for a vote before it is sent to the voters. ....
The committee voted to allocate about $89.8 million toward the 4 1/2-mile project to extend S.C. 31 to about Hickman Road in North Carolina, but is riding on a 2005 commitment from the neighbors up north to do their part in connecting to S.C. 31, which worries Eddie Dyer, chairman of the committee.
"I still have reservations, as chair,"  Dyer said. "I believe that [commission] needs to get real serious to do everything they can to get North Carolina to make some kind of commitment before we put that on the ballot and roll the dice."
Departments of Transportation for South Carolina and North Carolina have an agreement dating back to the mid-2000s that states North Carolina will not participate in an I-73 project, which is a proposed interstate that would connect Myrtle Beach to Michigan, unless it sees progress on I-74.
The committee decided to place a caveat on S.C. 31 that if the commission realizes it cannot be done, the committee endorses replacing that project with widening S.C. 90 to four lanes from S.C. 22 to Robert Edge Parkway.

wdcrft63

The present NC administration might be willing to talk about a connection between SC 31 and US 17 north, I think, although not necessarily as an I-74 project. I have a different question for SC folks: what, if anything is going on with the I-73 segment between I-95 and US 501 around Latta?

WashuOtaku

Quote from: wdcrft63 on April 17, 2015, 06:56:34 PM
The present NC administration might be willing to talk about a connection between SC 31 and US 17 north, I think, although not necessarily as an I-74 project. I have a different question for SC folks: what, if anything is going on with the I-73 segment between I-95 and US 501 around Latta?

State wants to build it, but needs money.  State wants to raise taxes to get the money, but not on I-73.  So nothing is being done.

Grzrd

This May 1 article ... reports that the Carolina Bays Parkway/S.C 31 may become part of the "I-74 system" in the foreseeable future
Quote from: Grzrd on April 14, 2015, 01:33:20 PM
This April 9 article reports that Horry County's RIDE III committee has allocated about $89.8 million toward the 4 1/2-mile project to extend S.C. 31 to about Hickman Road in North Carolina if a sales tax referendum passes in 2016

This June 19, 2015 article reports that a committee of the Grand Strand Area Transportation Study has committed at least $779,000 to cover any shortfall in the environmental study to extend S.C. 31 into North Carolina and that Shallotte and Sunset Beach, N.C., have passed resolutions supporting the extension of S.C. 31 into Brunswick County, N.C.:

A committee of the Grand Strand Area Transportation Study pledged at least $779,000 Friday to partially or fully cover any shortfall in an environmental study needed to complete the northern extension of S.C. 31 into North Carolina.
The money comes from federal funds received since Brunswick County, N.C., moved into the metropolitan statistical area the includes the Grand Strand and is covered by GSATS.
The statistical area is a demographic area used to assess regional growth and needs ....
Walter Eccard -- mayor of Shallotte, N.C., and chairman of GSATS transportation advisory committee for North Carolina ....
Shallotte and Sunset Beach, N.C., have passed resolutions supporting the extension of Carolina Bays Parkway, or S.C. 31, into Brunswick County. North Carolina has a provision to provide about $2.25 million over the next three fiscal years for the study, said Mark Hoeweler, assistant executive director at GSATS.
In 2016, Horry County plans to ask voters for a one-cent sales tax to fund $530 million in road improvements, including nearly $90 million for the northern extension of S.C. 31 to the North Carolina state line.
That price tag includes potential land acquisition and construction.
The environmental impact study will provide options and help define the exact paths both states can build on. The southern extension of S.C. 31 is being built to extend to near the Georgetown County line, and if the northern extension is built, it would connect southern Horry County to the Shallotte area and allow north/south traffic that typically clogs U.S. 17 to flow more smoothly.
North Carolina recently released its State Transportation Improvement Program for 2016-2025, which does not include the S.C. 31 extension project. Eccard said he's not too discouraged because that document is updated frequently.
"You always like to have everything buttoned up. That's the ideal thing,"  Eccard said. "I think, however, once we spend 4, 5, $6 million, that creates its own momentum... South Carolina, depending on this referendum, is making a pretty significant statement. We've got to keep the momentum on the North Carolina side and work with our legislators."  ....

Also, this May 29, 2015 article reports on construction progress for the S.C. 31 southern extension:

The S.C. 31 extension project is on schedule and construction into the summer includes continued progress on the Intracoastal Waterway bridge, beginning work on other bridges for the project, and more soil work on the east side of S.C. 707 for the new interchange.
"The project is progressing well and is on schedule,"  said Lisa Bourcier, spokeswoman for Horry County ....
The nearly four-mile extension will be a multi-lane highway that includes a bridge over the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway. Construction is slated to be completed by the spring of 2017.

Here is a snip of a photo accompanying the article:

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on September 07, 2015, 05:49:59 PM
This May 1 article ... reports that the Carolina Bays Parkway/S.C 31 may become part of the "I-74 system" in the foreseeable future
Quote from: Grzrd on April 14, 2015, 01:33:20 PM
This April 9 article reports that Horry County’s RIDE III committee has allocated about $89.8 million toward the 4 1/2-mile project to extend S.C. 31 to about Hickman Road in North Carolina if a sales tax referendum passes in 2016
This June 19, 2015 article reports that a committee of the Grand Strand Area Transportation Study has committed at least $779,000 to cover any shortfall in the environmental study to extend S.C. 31 into North Carolina and that Shallotte and Sunset Beach, N.C., have passed resolutions supporting the extension of S.C. 31 into Brunswick County, N.C.

This September 10 article reports on the prioritization of projects that would be covered if the RIDE III sales tax referendum is approved by voters and it also describes the S.C. 31 extension project as linking S.C. 31 to "the I-74 network" in North Carolina; however, only $89.9 million of the $120+ million cost of the project would be covered by the sales tax increase:

How should $530 million of taxpayer money be spent?
For the six members of the RIDE III Sales Tax Commission, that's the question they will spend the next eight months answering.
The commission, which held its first meeting Thursday, must decide which infrastructure projects should be part of RIDE III, the county's next road building program. Once commissioners develop a list projects – their deadline for doing this is May 17 – Horry County Council will give an up-or-down vote on the list. If approved, the projects will then go to the voters, who have the final say on whether the one percent sales tax should pay for that work. Should the referendum pass, the tax collection would begin on May 1, 2017 ....
Here's a snapshot of those discussed Thursday ....
S.C. 31 extension to North Carolina
Description: RIDE III would not pay for the full cost of this construction, though it would cover most of it, officials said. The nearly 5-mile extension would take S.C. 31 to the North Carolina border. Dyer said local leaders have been in talks with North Carolina officials about what that state will do on its side of the line. The overall project tops $120 million. Officials said additional funding would have to be identified.
Cost: $89.9 million
Why it's needed: Leaders in northeastern Horry County insist this project could help alleviate traffic problems in Little River and North Myrtle Beach by linking S.C. 31 to the I-74 network in the Tar Heel state.
Commission members also said fairness is another reason the project is a finalist for the list. "Everybody is in favor of that as the project for North Myrtle Beach,"  Dyer said. "We need to make sure that we try to make it happen for them."

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on April 18, 2014, 05:13:33 PM
This article reports that SCDOT has approved going forward with the I-73 toll study and that supporters of tolls anticipate that the study will show that tourists will pay most of the tolls:
The South Carolina Department of Transportation Commissioners agreed unanimously Thursday afternoon to move ahead with a study to see if Interstate 73 should be a toll road to help pay for the interstate.
The tolls would be collected where the new interstate would intersect with I-95, so supporters say it would be mostly tourists who pay the tolls ....
Brad Dean with the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce says I-73 has been a top priority ....
One criteria of the approved study will show how much the tolls should be.
"Presumably this would be tolls paid for people coming down I-95 who would connect with I -73," said Dean ....
Dean wanted to be sure to point out, the tolls would only be on I-73 and would not affect traffic on I-95.

This September 19 blog reports on an "incomplete" version of the I-73 toll study that estimates $5.2 million raised by a toll in 2025 and approximately $32.7 million per year by 2050 (2015 dollars):

S.C. Department of Transportation Commissioner Mike Wooten sent an email on Aug. 14 to Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce head Brad Dean requesting a private presentation Aug. 25 on the results of an Interstate 73 study.
The study analyzed how much money a toll on vehicles using the interstate, which would lead to Myrtle Beach, would raise over a 26-year period to help pay for the proposed road.
In the email, Wooten wrote he "really would like this to remain confidential until the final report is published."  ....
Wooten said he requested the meeting be private because people read into reports what they want and the study was incomplete.
The minute the report is complete, it will be published, he said, adding it is a public document because it is being paid for by money for Interstate 73.
Last week, the state Transportation Department made a copy of the more than 250-page report available to The Buzz.
The study shows a toll would generate an estimated $5.2 million for the interstate in 2025, its first year, and produce $32.7 million a year by 2050. (Those figures are in 2015 dollars.)
South Carolina's portion of the Interstate 73 project is expected to cost about $2.4 billion.

The toll would be a tool in the toolbox to pay for the interstate, Wooten said, adding the study was conducted to find out how big that tool could be.
However, the study found a toll would not raise enough money to pay the state's portion of the interstate's costs. But the toll money could help offset some of those costs, Wooten said.

The Nature Boy

I remain utterly confused as to why SC is not trying to connect the Grand Strand to the interstate highway system.

Mapmikey

Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 21, 2015, 03:00:08 PM
I remain utterly confused as to why SC is not trying to connect the Grand Strand to the interstate highway system.

South Carolina has a really long history with this...

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=18.msg189609#msg189609

Mike

The Nature Boy

Extending I-20 to Myrtle Beach honestly seems like the best option. Multiplex it with US 501 east of Marion.

Rothman

Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 21, 2015, 03:22:01 PM
Extending I-20 to Myrtle Beach honestly seems like the best option. Multiplex it with US 501 east of Marion.

I thought the idea was to get the Appalachian hillbillies a better way of getting to Myrtle Beach through I-73. 

I suppose there were already good enough connections to the Redneck Riviera of the Florida Panhandle from Coal Country. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 21, 2015, 03:22:01 PM

The Feds aren't supporting that, they support I-73.  :awesomeface:

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on September 11, 2015, 03:32:48 PM
This September 10 article reports on the prioritization of projects that would be covered if the RIDE III sales tax referendum is approved by voters and it also describes the S.C. 31 extension project as linking S.C. 31 to "the I-74 network" in North Carolina; however, only $89.9 million of the $120+ million cost of the project would be covered by the sales tax increase

This November 10 article reports that the RIDE III sales tax is now projected to bring in $60 million more than previously expected, that the S.C. 31 northern extension to North Carolina topped the list of projects that could receive some of the extra money, and that North Carolina leaders have given their South Carolina counterparts assurances that they'll "find the money" when South Carolina is ready to build its section:

The cost of extending S.C. 31 to North Carolina could be completely covered in Horry County's next road-building program.
The RIDE III Sales Tax Commission on Tuesday discussed several options for paying for the project, including using some of the additional $60 million identified in the latest projections for the one percent sales tax proposal.
Until last month, the six-member commission was developing plans for $530 million worth of road work in RIDE III, including nearly $90 million for the extension of S.C. 31 to the I-74 network in North Carolina.
The problem was the 31 project would likely cost $120 million, and commissioners weren't sure where the final $30 million would come from.
But the most recent revenue projections show the tax should bring in about $60 million more than previously estimated. On Tuesday, commissioners talked about what to do with the additional money.
The northern construction of 31 topped the list.
Local leaders insist this project could help alleviate traffic problems in Little River and North Myrtle Beach.
Commission Chairman Eddie Dyer stressed that North Carolina leaders support the project as much as their Horry counterparts do.
"The reason that all of us are so committed to figuring out everything we can about 31 is to make sure that the public going to the polls to vote knows that 31 is not going to dead end at the North Carolina line,"  he said. "We need to reassure people that 31 is not a loose end. It's going to happen."

Several local leaders met with Tar Heel officials last week to find out about their willingness to build the necessary infrastructure on that side of the state line.
"They don't have the same challenges getting highway money that we do in South Carolina,"  said state Sen. Greg Hembree, R-North Myrtle Beach. "All along they've said, "˜If you give us the green light, we'll find the money.'"
Steve Gosnell, the assistant county administrator for infrastructure and regulation, said there will be money leftover from the county's most recent road-building program, RIDE II. Horry County Council plans to use $16 million of that extra cash on a new radio system for public safety officials, but there could be millions more than that available for other road projects.
Dyer said he would speak with council members about using the leftover RIDE II money for 31.
Gosnell also said the southern extension of 31, which is underway now, may come in under budget. That project is being paid for with money from the state's Transportation Infrastructure Bank and any unused funding is required to go back to the bank. However, officials could request that money for the northern end of 31.
"There's nothing preventing them from giving it right back to us,"  Dyer said. "That money was already committed to 31 anyway. It's just a matter of moving it from the south end to the north end."

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on October 23, 2013, 09:39:42 AM
Quote from: Grzrd on May 01, 2011, 03:17:30 PM
Here is a link to NCDOT's I-74 Feasibility Study for this area (click on the I-74 Feasibility Study Report pdf link toward the bottom of the page):
http://www.ncdot.org/projects/I74feasibility/
There are maps on pages 31/46 and 32/46  of the above pdf which shows how I-74 would fit into North Carolina's looooong-term transportation strategy.
(above quote from Interstate 73/74 thread)
Here is a snip of one of the above-referenced maps that shows the recommended extension of I-74 to Myrtle Beach:
Quote from: Grzrd on October 24, 2013, 01:20:40 PM
FWIW I checked the National I-73/I-74/I-75 Corridor Association website to see what version of I-74 they are currently promoting.  In looking at their South Carolina map and their North Carolina map, it looks like they are not promoting the notion of I-74 in South Carolina.  Instead they have the eastern terminus of I-74 being at US 17 approximately halfway between Wilmington and the state line.
North Carolina:

This November 4 TV video reports that the extension of S.C. 31 into North Carolina would end on U.S. 17 near N.C. 904 in Brunswick County:

The northern end of Carolina Bays Parkway, or Highway 31, ends at Highway 9 in Little River. The fourth and final phase of the project would pick up there, and take the highway into North Carolina through Brunswick County for about 12 miles.
"It would end on Highway 17 near North Carolina route 904 in Brunswick County," explained Mike Barbee with SC DOT ....
it's expected to be between eight and ten years before the ribbon on the fourth phase is cut.

The current N.C. 904/ U.S. 17 intersection looks like it is relatively near the location of proposed new terrain I-74 going northward from U.S. 17; assuming interstate-grade construction of the fourth phase in both South Carolina and North Carolina, S.C. 31 could eventually either be part of I-74 as depicted in the top map or an I-x74 connecting to I-74's terminus at U.S. 17 in the bottom map. We should have more clarity in about a decade or so .......

wdcrft63

NCDOT's current STIP plan does not contain any construction in Brunswick County on I-74 or on the SC 31 extension, which means that no construction (in fact, no detailed planning) is expected before 2025. That might change with respect to the SC 31 extension if SC really pushes it. But not I-74.

Henry

Now that the plans to finish I-526 in Charleston have been cancelled, perhaps some of that money will be redirected to fund I-73, but time will tell. And I still say that I-74 makes absolutely no sense being isolated down in the Southeast.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Henry on November 19, 2015, 12:59:53 PM
Now that the plans to finish I-526 in Charleston have been cancelled, perhaps some of that money will be redirected to fund I-73, but time will tell. And I still say that I-74 makes absolutely no sense being isolated down in the Southeast.

Doesn't matter if it makes sense or not, it still exists.   :colorful:

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on April 12, 2015, 12:42:45 PM
Trump blamed environmentalists' concerns for delaying the construction of I-73, a proposed interstate that would run from Myrtle Beach to Michigan.
"China's building islands in the middle of the sea,"  he said. "You think they did an environmental impact study? They just dumped the [expletive] right there."  ....
Trump said Myrtle Beach has a bright future but needs to improve access to the area, specifically by building I-73 ....
On environmentalists:"Nobody believes this, but I get awards all the time for good environment deeds. ...I have a great relationship with some [environmentalists]. But a lot of these people are bad people. A lot of them are phonies. They make money off the environment. They fight you just to make fees.

This December 3 article reports that, in an effort to appease environmental concerns about I-73,  the S.C. Department of Transportation Commission has approved an environmental exchange, and that Donald Trump has recently re-emphasized the need to complete I-73:

The S.C. Department of Transportation Commission revived efforts Thursday to build Interstate 73, a controversial freeway long sought as a way to bring tourists to the Grand Strand.
The commission approved a new plan that members hope will appease environmental concerns about the project. The plan calls for preserving Gunter's Island in Horry County in exchange for wetlands that would be destroyed during construction of the interstate.
"This puts us directly on the path for construction," said Transportation Department commissioner Mike Wooten
, who represents Horry and surrounding counties.
Huge hurdles, however, remain before construction can begin.
First, a federal wetlands permit must be approved. Even if the state gets that green light, paying for the project has yet to be resolved ....
In a recent visit to Myrtle Beach, GOP frontrunner Donald Trump emphasized the need to complete the project ....
All told, more than 340 acres of wetlands would be affected.
The wetlands package approved Thursday by the Transportation Department would be part of a federal application to construct the road.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers could require extensive environmental studies before deciding on whether to approve filing wetlands. The S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control also would have to issue a water-quality permit ....
Gunter's Island is an area of swamps, forests and streams along the Little Pee Dee River in Horry County. The nearly 7,000 acre tract is home to wild turkeys, black bears, white tailed deer and ducks ....
How the interstate would be paid for remains unknown ....

Will this exchange be viewed as a reasonable swap?

edit

This November 24 article reports on Donald Trump's recent visit to Myrtle Beach referenced in the above article and notes that he "inadvertently" referred to Interstate 73 as Interstate 85:

"I love Myrtle Beach, I've been here many times, but we've got to get I-[73] built, it's time,"  Trump said. "It will bring a lot of business, and I guarantee you when I get in there, it's going to start pretty quickly."
Local leaders have lobbied for years to build Interstate 73 to Myrtle Beach, however Trump inadvertently referred to the proposed highway as Interstate 85 in his speech.

I don't think Trump can be accused of being a roadgeek.

CanesFan27

I thought funding was in place to at least build 73 from 95 to the 301/501 split near latta.  I know that the 301/501 split was redesigned and rebuilt as preparation for the 73 project.

Sorry it's been a few years since I followed this.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: CanesFan27 on December 05, 2015, 10:45:38 AM
I thought funding was in place to at least build 73 from 95 to the 301/501 split near latta.  I know that the 301/501 split was redesigned and rebuilt as preparation for the 73 project.

Sorry it's been a few years since I followed this.

They did all the environmental stuff from the additional funds, but no funds to actually build the road yet.  The state wants to build it, but it takes a back-seat on other priorities because they don't give enough funds to SCDOT.

roadman65

Why does not Myrtle Beach itself get funding for the road?  Just tax an extra penny or two on the many vacationers that make the area what it is to raise the money for the road in SC.  With NC slowly getting it done in the Tar Heel State, by 2030 we should have it built between I-81 and the Ocean at least.

We all know that I-73 is dead north of I-81 as WV, OH, and MI could care less about the road just like WV and OH could give at rats ass about connecting the two I-74's as well.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

WashuOtaku

I recently noticed that NCDOT updated all their county maps to August, 2015 and they include the proposed route of I-74: Columbus County Map, Brunswick County Map.

Other county maps along the route also shoe routes of future I-74 around Rockingham and US 1, but oddly not future I-73.  Regardless, if you got the time to browse, check'em out:  State Mapping Resources.

bob7374

Quote from: WashuOtaku on December 07, 2015, 07:06:35 PM
I recently noticed that NCDOT updated all their county maps to August, 2015 and they include the proposed route of I-74: Columbus County Map, Brunswick County Map.

Other county maps along the route also shoe routes of future I-74 around Rockingham and US 1, but oddly not future I-73.  Regardless, if you got the time to browse, check'em out:  State Mapping Resources.
While the I-73/I-74 Bypass of Rockingham is not shown on the Richmond County map, the I-73 proposed path to SC is shown mostly paralleling NC 38. The Triad county maps also show the proposed I-73 and I-74 paths.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.