News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Tolls on I-95 in NC?

Started by CanesFan27, August 17, 2009, 10:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

It's the trial balloon that just won't land.

NCDOT to hire consultants to study the possibility of tolling I-95 in NC.

Story/background/commentary:
http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2009/08/broken-record-time-nc-looks-at-tolling.html

njroadhorse

Um, that sounds like the dumbest idea ever.  I-95 is wayy too vital to travellers to be tolled.  I for one breathe a sigh of relief once I hit Virginia and NC on my way to South Carolina because we don't have to pay more tolls.  There's a reason not too many roads in the south are tolled (barring Florida), and that's because there's really no feasible free alternatives to the Interstates already in place.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

froggie

It's actually a pretty smart idea on their part, since it's largely going to capture through and out-of-state traffic and reduce impact to their own residents...not unlike the MD/DE line toll booth on I-95.  BTW, yes there's a free alternative.

Gotta pay for highway upgrades somehow.  And since people are reluctant to (if not outright hostile against) raise the gas tax, then tolls are just about the only other financing alternative out there.

njroadhorse

QuoteGotta pay for highway upgrades somehow.  And since people are reluctant to (if not outright hostile against) raise the gas tax, then tolls are just about the only other financing alternative out there.
Yeah, it's not the tolls I'm against, it's just putting them on 95 that doesn't sit well with me.
NJ Roads FTW!

Chris

QuoteGotta pay for highway upgrades somehow.  And since people are reluctant to (if not outright hostile against) raise the gas tax, then tolls are just about the only other financing alternative out there.

Yeah, that's the problem. I don't see putting up tolls as a way to finance every road upgrade as a good solution. What's next? In twenty years, all Interstates will be toll roads because they can't get the funding otherwise?

agentsteel53

I don't see the problem with toll roads.

though if people start to warm up to them, they'll start getting occupied, and they won't be nearly as cost-effective!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

froggie

QuoteYeah, that's the problem. I don't see putting up tolls as a way to finance every road upgrade as a good solution. What's next? In twenty years, all Interstates will be toll roads because they can't get the funding otherwise?

At the rate both transportation funding and Congress are going, it just may well get to that point...

exit322

Hopefully green ink costs the same as blue for Rand McNally.

florida

If they toll I-95, then they need to toll I-77 and I-85. Also, I-40/I-26 from TN to SC for good measure. Install tolls on all or don't install on any.
So many roads...so little time.

leifvanderwall

I'm all for tolling I-95. Despite alternative routes like I-77, I-73, US 17, and US 1 many travelers still take the ol' 95; I should know because I have driven on it with heavy traffic. Toll,baby, toll!

CanesFan27

Late last month, WRAL had a story about the potential widening of I-95 through North Carolina.  In the video, the reporter treats the idea of the highway being tolled as something never discussed - though it has been since at least 2000.  However, an interesting new piece of information notes that the six lane I-95 could/would most likely close a handful of existing interchanges.

Story w/Video: http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/9021749/
Blog Commentary: http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2011/02/north-carolina-i-95-toll-plan-may.html

architect77

I-95 is a deadly 1960's-designed highway that sees fatalities almost every week through NC. A minimum of 1 or 2 $5 toll plazas is a reasonable way for the NY-Florida motorists to help pay for a highway mostly traveled by them.

I-85 and I-40 primarily serve North Carolinians, and they are entirely different animals from I-95.

Unless new right-of-ways could allow an entirely separate new roadway be constructed say 1/4 mile on either side of existing I-95, the widening process through the entire state (NCDOT stated it would build 8 lanes, not just 6) is estimated to take 75 years to complete (WRAL report). Probably about right since the 40 mile 85/40 duplex between Greensboro and Durham took over 10 years to complete.

I-95 widening estimated at $7 billion as of 2010. We all know it will be more.

Jerseyman4

If any road in NC deserves to be tolled, it is I-95. Simply because the road has way more out of state travelers than North Carolinans using it. I always felt that one section of I-95 needs to be bypassed. From Exit 107 (US 301 in Kenly) to the upper 50s where Business 95/US 301 meets north of Fayetteville should be a new road. This will improve capacity for intra-state travelers going between Raleigh and Fayetteville while keeping out of state traffic on a new tolled route. Also, the Rocky Mount-Wilson area will have a 4 lane road to Fayetteville without dealing with the heavy traffic from I-95. So the tolled section of I-95 should be from NC 4 to the southern terminus of Business 95 by the Robeson Co line. Allow the tolled section to be a 75mph speed limit to entice travelers to use a faster road with fewer exits. I think this approach is a lot cheaper than fixing the outdated part of I-95 with existing development and high traffic counts between local and express from Kenly to Fayetteville.

mtantillo

Quote from: leifvanderwall on September 24, 2009, 08:46:20 PM
I'm all for tolling I-95. Despite alternative routes like I-77, I-73, US 17, and US 1 many travelers still take the ol' 95; I should know because I have driven on it with heavy traffic. Toll,baby, toll!

Those aren't really realistic alternatives for the long-haul NY to FL traffic.  Those people want to get from NY to FL as quickly as possible, and would generally prefer not to take US 17 (well out of the way to the east, and getting to it requires a slow drive down the Delmarva), US 1 (old two lane road in  many places, lots of towns and traffic signals), or I-77 (very far out of the way to the west). 

I'd be all for tolls on I-95 if there were improvements made.  As for why no tolls on I-85 and I-40...well, those roads were already improved over the last few decades.  Because that's where the state's priorities are...on roads that serve the residents of that state. 

njroadhorse

Quote from: mtantillo on July 31, 2011, 12:05:40 AM
Quote from: leifvanderwall on September 24, 2009, 08:46:20 PM

Those aren't really realistic alternatives for the long-haul NY to FL traffic.  Those people want to get from NY to FL as quickly as possible, and would generally prefer not to take US 17 (well out of the way to the east, and getting to it requires a slow drive down the Delmarva), US 1 (old two lane road in  many places, lots of towns and traffic signals), or I-77 (very far out of the way to the west). 

I'd be all for tolls on I-95 if there were improvements made.  As for why no tolls on I-85 and I-40...well, those roads were already improved over the last few decades.  Because that's where the state's priorities are...on roads that serve the residents of that state. 

Realistically, I-77 can be a feasible alternative depending on where you're coming from in metro NY, like you mention. Taking I-81 to I-77 might be a little bit out of the way, but depending on when you hit it, the time spent going out of the way could definitely be less than sitting in traffic along the BosWash corridor.
NJ Roads FTW!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.