Regional Boards > Southeast

Future Interstate 587 (Zebulon-Greenville)

(1/83) > >>

Interstate 69 Fan:
Since I-587 was approved, I feel like that I-587 should have it's own thread.
Here is a reference to I-587:
http://governor.nc.gov/press-release/transportation-association-recommends-approval-future-interstate-designation-us-264
:-)

LM117:
FHWA still needs to sign off on it, though I'm pretty sure they will. NCDOT appears to be coordinating with FHWA and FHWA usually goes along with AASHTO's decisions.

US-264 is already interstate standard between I-95 and the Wilson/Greene County line. All that is needed to bring US-264 to interstate standards between the Wilson/Greene County line and I-587's ending point at Exit 73 in Greenville is widening the outside shoulders to 10ft. They're currently only 4ft.

US-264 between Sims just west of I-95 and Zebulon will need more than shoulder widening. The overhead bridge clearances will need to be increased, either by replacing the bridges or lowering the highway.

Interstate 69 Fan:

--- Quote from: LM117 on November 15, 2016, 07:46:03 PM ---FHWA still needs to sign off on it, though I'm pretty sure they will. NCDOT appears to be coordinating with FHWA and FHWA usually goes along with AASHTO's decisions.

US-264 is already interstate standard between I-95 and the Wilson/Greene County line. All that is needed to bring US-264 to interstate standards between the Wilson/Greene County line and I-587's ending point at Exit 73 in Greenville is widening the outside shoulders to 10ft. They're currently only 4ft.

US-264 between Sims just west of I-95 and Zebulon will need more than shoulder widening. The overhead bridge clearances will need to be increased, either by replacing the bridges or lowering the highway.

--- End quote ---
Obviously, upgrading will be needed, but FHWA probably will. I don't like the number chosen, though. #Interstate187

Jmiles32:

--- Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on November 15, 2016, 08:05:21 PM ---
--- Quote from: LM117 on November 15, 2016, 07:46:03 PM ---FHWA still needs to sign off on it, though I'm pretty sure they will. NCDOT appears to be coordinating with FHWA and FHWA usually goes along with AASHTO's decisions.

--- End quote ---
Obviously, upgrading will be needed, but FHWA probably will. I don't like the number chosen, though. #Interstate187

--- End quote ---

Was it the FHWA that turned NCDOT's proposed I-36 and I-89 into future I-42 and I-87 or was that AASHTO? I hope it was the FHWA because it makes absolutely no sense why they would call this road I-587. I dislike the the choice I-87 already but at least there was kinda a reason for it(the historic dates). Why do I-587 when there already is one? Is NC trying to be the first state to duplicate a 3DI? Whats wrong with I-187,I-387,I-987 or even I-687? I have no problem with US-264 becoming an interstate but definitely agree with Interstate 69 Fan and really hope that number gets changed.

orulz:
Wouldn't be the first duplicated 3di by a longshot. But certainly other I-x87's to choose from that would not be duplicates (187, 387, 987). Although the existing I-587 is certainly an odd one.

As for bridges between Sims and Zebulon- what are the clearances? The bridges look fairly modern to me, so it can't be by much. (A foot or less, perhaps.) Might the easiest solution be to just lower the road by a foot or so on either side of the overpasses?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version