Regional Boards > Southeast

Future Interstate 587 (Zebulon-Greenville)

<< < (3/83) > >>

kurumi:

--- Quote from: Rothman on November 15, 2016, 11:27:48 PM ---Insanity.

--- End quote ---

Time to update the image:

compdude787:
Who cares that there's already an existing I-587? The one in NY is really questionable and pointless since it contains no interchanges whatsoever.

The real question is: Why the heck does NC need so many interstates? I guess they want every freeway to be an interstate; if that's so, I can completely understand.

cjk374:

--- Quote from: compdude787 on November 16, 2016, 02:08:53 AM ---The real question is: Why the heck does NC need so many interstates? I guess they want every freeway to be an interstate; if that's so, I can completely understand.

--- End quote ---

Does Fritzowl work for NCDOT???   :bigass:  :pan:

Rothman:

--- Quote from: cjk374 on November 16, 2016, 05:47:41 AM ---
--- Quote from: compdude787 on November 16, 2016, 02:08:53 AM ---The real question is: Why the heck does NC need so many interstates? I guess they want every freeway to be an interstate; if that's so, I can completely understand.

--- End quote ---

Does Fritzowl work for NCDOT???   :bigass:  :pan:

--- End quote ---

Somebody beat me to this joke.

LM117:

--- End quote ---

Not every freeway in NC is planned to become an interstate. There are plenty of freeways in the state without I-shields.

NCDOT usually doesn't seek an interstate designation unless there is strong support for it at the local level. Greenville & Pitt County have been practically screaming for US-264's upgrade since 2012. They didn't get anywhere then because they had virtually no support from the surrounding counties, who were more focused on upgrading US-70 to a freeway between I-40 near Garner and Morehead City, though an interstate designation for US-70 was not planned at the time. Most of the counties along the US-70 corridor also carried a lot of political weight in the state legislature.

So, Greenville mayor Allen Thomas met with Kinston mayor BJ Murphy in early 2013 and came up with the "Quad East" interstate(s) idea. It was a "I scratch your back, you scratch my back" kinda deal. Fast forward to 2016 and I-42, I-87, and now I-587 are born. The squeaky wheel gets the grease...

http://wnct.com/2016/08/09/how-quad-east-could-connect-four-of-eastern-carolinas-metro-areas/

There's also another possible future interstate in the works, which would make up the last part of the Quad East interstate system. It was originally planned to run from US-70/Future I-42 in Kinston to Greenville using the CF Harvey Parkway and NC-11, but that has now been expanded to include a connection to US-64/Future I-87 in Bethel by following US-13 north of Greenville, which would give Greenville and the Global TransPark in Kinston interstate access to the Hampton Roads metro in Virginia. The Eastern North Carolina Gateway Act was introduced in Congress in September that would make it federal law if passed. I expect they'll re-introduce the bill next year. If it passes, it'll probably be attached to a much larger transportation bill, similar to how I-42, I-87 and I-795's extension got tacked onto the FAST Act.

https://www.tillis.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?id=2DBB05EF-83DE-4581-AF64-392AC9547DB9

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version