Regional Boards > Southeast

Future Interstate 587 (Zebulon-Greenville)

<< < (76/88) > >>

LM117:

--- Quote from: vdeane on June 26, 2021, 10:12:01 PM ---That said, I agree that signing I-587 north-south is stupid.  I can't believe NC doesn't know better than that.

--- End quote ---

For some damn reason, NCDOT thinks that a 3-di MUST be signed as the same direction as it's parent, despite examples in other states proving otherwise. I wish I was making this up. :banghead:

LM117:

--- Quote from: sparker on June 26, 2021, 03:09:27 PM ---
--- Quote from: tolbs17 on June 26, 2021, 12:59:08 AM ---https://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=20340

http://prntscr.com/16uke7q

They want to bring this part up to interstate standards.

--- End quote ---

From this account, it appears that the northern half of the Greenville/NC 11 bypass is being considered as a part of the I-587 corridor, although IIRC the designated Interstate segment terminates at the junction of westward US 264 and that bypass.  Alternately, given the recent I-designation activity in this neck of the woods, upgrading the bypass would be the "camel's nose through the door" regarding a full N-S designation between I-42 at Kinston and I-87.  Guess the idea of leaving a spur hanging at Greenville just doesn't appeal much to local boosters!

--- End quote ---

It won't be part of I-587. That upgrade is listed because Kinston and Greenville had been pushing for an interstate from Kinston to Bethel (likely another I-x87), with the purpose of giving the Global TransPark an interstate connection to the Port of Virginia in Norfolk.

The mayors that started that push are no longer in office, so I'm not sure how big of a priority it is for their successors, though there's been very little public mention of it in recent years.

sprjus4:

--- Quote from: LM117 on June 28, 2021, 02:35:20 PM ---
--- Quote from: tolbs17 on June 26, 2021, 12:59:08 AM ---https://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=20340

--- End quote ---

From this account, it appears that the northern half of the Greenville/NC 11 bypass is being considered as a part of the I-587 corridor, although IIRC the designated Interstate segment terminates at the junction of westward US 264 and that bypass.  Alternately, given the recent I-designation activity in this neck of the woods, upgrading the bypass would be the "camel's nose through the door" regarding a full N-S designation between I-42 at Kinston and I-87.  Guess the idea of leaving a spur hanging at Greenville just doesn't appeal much to local boosters!

--- End quote ---

It won't be part of I-587. That upgrade is listed because Kinston and Greenville had been pushing for an interstate from Kinston to Bethel (likely another I-x87), with the purpose of giving the Global TransPark an interstate connection to the Port of Virginia in Norfolk.

The mayors that started that push are no longer in office, so I'm not sure how big of a priority it is for their successors, though there's been very little public mention of it in recent years.

--- End quote ---
If anything is to happen to the NC-11 corridor between Kinston and Bethel, the only time I can see it reasonably gaining traction would be in 20-30 years from now, once both I-87 and I-42 are complete in full, to close that gap in between and link Greenville to either corridor. Until then, I see the project unnecessary. Focus on I-42 then I-87 first.

sprjus4:

--- Quote from: LM117 on June 28, 2021, 02:24:04 PM ---
--- Quote from: vdeane on June 26, 2021, 10:12:01 PM ---That said, I agree that signing I-587 north-south is stupid.  I can't believe NC doesn't know better than that.

--- End quote ---

For some damn reason, NCDOT thinks that a 3-di MUST be signed as the same direction as it's parent, despite examples in other states proving otherwise. I wish I was making this up. :banghead:

--- End quote ---
Yup...

Since future I-87 is an odd number the route is considered a north south route and because future I-587 is a spur off that route, it’s also considered a north south route. Hope this helps!— NCDOT (@NCDOT) December 3, 2019
--- End quote ---

tolbs17:

--- Quote from: sprjus4 on June 28, 2021, 02:42:26 PM ---
--- Quote from: LM117 on June 28, 2021, 02:35:20 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
If anything is to happen to the NC-11 corridor between Kinston and Bethel, the only time I can see it reasonably gaining traction would be in 20-30 years from now, once both I-87 and I-42 are complete in full, to close that gap in between and link Greenville to either corridor. Until then, I see the project unnecessary. Focus on I-42 then I-87 first.

--- End quote ---
AADT is high enough for a full freeway. Even 264 going to Washington could definitely use it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version