Regional Boards > Southeast

Future Interstate 587 (Zebulon-Greenville)

<< < (84/91) > >>

Alps:

--- Quote from: tolbs17 on September 22, 2021, 07:51:36 PM ---540 is an even number yet it's signed as a N-S route. So, why not for I-587?

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.7465655,-78.8952704,3a,47.6y,88.94h,106.62t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sGRGrgYsNITWOH95oikzP2A!2e0!5s20210701T000000!7i16384!8i8192

--- End quote ---
that rule requires 2-digits and interstate shields, neither of which applies here

vdeane:

--- Quote from: Alps on September 23, 2021, 12:30:12 AM ---
--- Quote from: tolbs17 on September 22, 2021, 07:51:36 PM ---540 is an even number yet it's signed as a N-S route. So, why not for I-587?

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.7465655,-78.8952704,3a,47.6y,88.94h,106.62t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sGRGrgYsNITWOH95oikzP2A!2e0!5s20210701T000000!7i16384!8i8192

--- End quote ---
that rule requires 2-digits and interstate shields, neither of which applies here

--- End quote ---
NCDOT unfortunately doesn't realize the former.  The latter would be why this section is signed north-south.  I briefly got my hopes up that we could give NCDOT an example to make them come to their senses, but no, it's NC 540 and not I-540 (which is in fact signed east-west).

sprjus4:
State transportation secretary hopes for I-587 designation in 2022

--- Quote ---A state transportation department official gave a status update on the future of I-587 and other roadway projects during a virtual event sponsored by the Greenville-Pitt County Chamber of Commerce on Tuesday.

Transportation Secretary J. Eric Boyette said $26 million has been spent on resurfacing, installing guardrails and widening highway shoulders to bring the stretch of U.S. 264 between Greenville and Zebulon up to interstate standards.

We understand what it means for North Carolina, especially for Greenville and Pitt County, Boyette said. This will be the first conversation to a major interstate.

Its not only the interstate designation, he said. It plays a role for improving the transportation infrastructure for us as a state, but there is job creation, access to health care and recreation. Its how we connect our state across all our county lines.

Its expected the Federal Highway Administration will rule on its interstate designation sometime in 2022, Boyette said.

Certified public accountant Benny Hardy asked what residents could do to ensure the interstate designation remains a priority.

The bulk of the physical work is complete, said Thomas Taft Jr., Division 2 representative on the state Board of Transportation.

I think its just a matter of keeping the pressure on the feds to not let this slip behind anymore, Taft said. Its really more of a squeaky wheel scenario, not to overuse that.
--- End quote ---

bob7374:

--- Quote from: sprjus4 on September 23, 2021, 05:15:23 PM ---State transportation secretary hopes for I-587 designation in 2022

--- Quote ---A state transportation department official gave a status update on the future of I-587 and other roadway projects during a virtual event sponsored by the Greenville-Pitt County Chamber of Commerce on Tuesday.

Transportation Secretary J. Eric Boyette said $26 million has been spent on resurfacing, installing guardrails and widening highway shoulders to bring the stretch of U.S. 264 between Greenville and Zebulon up to interstate standards.

We understand what it means for North Carolina, especially for Greenville and Pitt County, Boyette said. This will be the first conversation to a major interstate.

Its not only the interstate designation, he said. It plays a role for improving the transportation infrastructure for us as a state, but there is job creation, access to health care and recreation. Its how we connect our state across all our county lines.

Its expected the Federal Highway Administration will rule on its interstate designation sometime in 2022, Boyette said.

Certified public accountant Benny Hardy asked what residents could do to ensure the interstate designation remains a priority.

The bulk of the physical work is complete, said Thomas Taft Jr., Division 2 representative on the state Board of Transportation.

I think its just a matter of keeping the pressure on the feds to not let this slip behind anymore, Taft said. Its really more of a squeaky wheel scenario, not to overuse that.
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
That would be news to AASHTO which approved the I-587 designation based on getting word from the FHWA that it had already approved the route. Either the news hasn't gotten to the Secretary's office or, since they don't have plans to put up signs until 2022, they are using this as the excuse why it is not being signed immediately.

LM117:

--- Quote from: bob7374 on September 23, 2021, 11:45:47 PM ---
--- Quote from: sprjus4 on September 23, 2021, 05:15:23 PM ---State transportation secretary hopes for I-587 designation in 2022

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
That would be news to AASHTO which approved the I-587 designation based on getting word from the FHWA that it had already approved the route. Either the news hasn't gotten to the Secretary's office or, since they don't have plans to put up signs until 2022, they are using this as the excuse why it is not being signed immediately.

--- End quote ---

There is an obvious lack of communication within NCDOT. I found that out firsthand when I emailed them a question that asked what the timetable was for putting I-42 shields on the Goldsboro Bypass, and the guy who responded to me was under the impression that it was still "Future I-42". This was after former NCDOT Chief Engineer Tim Little told the US-70 Corridor Commission that FHWA had given it's approval to sign the Goldsboro Bypass as I-42. I suspect this is another case of one hand not knowing what the other is doing.

WashuOtaku noted upthread that NCDOT is planning to seek approval to re-route US-264 onto it's old alignment between Saratoga and Greenville, so that also may be the reason for the delay in signing I-587.

If Boyette really is unaware that FHWA has already approved I-587 while other NCDOT employees were and didn't tell him, then that's just embarrassing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version