Regional Boards > Southeast

I-475 in TN. Build it already.

(1/3) > >>

lamsalfl:
Why was this route never part of the original system?  It's logical, and significantly reduces traffic on a duplex that carries not one, but two major interstates (ending in a 0 and 5).  What is I-40/75 like in this area?  Is it congested?   Not only would traffic be reduced on I-40, but it significantly reduces mileage for I-75 travellers.  This will in turn save millions of gallons of gas over time, take unnecessary traffic out of Knoxville, and reduce travel time by (half hour??) for I-75 traffic.  Look at a map of Tennessee (and north Georgia).  I-75 literally zig-zags repeatedly.

Is there any movement for a road like this?  

froggie:
When the system was first developed, Knoxville was a hole in the wall, so there was no need for 475.  Today, there's a need, but unless you got about $1 billion lying around for it, it's not going to get built anytime soon.

Alex:
Knoxville's sprawl has overtaken pretty much the entire Interstate 40 & 75 overlap. Through traffic is vastly increased between Knoxville and Chattanooga in general as well. Like Froggie said, there's no money for the new route, which pretty much is the case everywhere these days...

Some photos from November 8:

leifvanderwall:
The thing also to consider is the terrain the road is going to be built on . There are quite a few mountains that would be torn apart for the new road. I have been on the I-75 corridor from Michigan to the Fla. Turnpike many times and even if the new I-475 is not built I don't think it would make any difference on travel time. I mean the I-40/I-75 multiplex is busy but it is not quite I-95 in Connecticut.

hbelkins:

--- Quote from: leifvanderwall on December 30, 2009, 08:45:56 PM ---The thing also to consider is the terrain the road is going to be built on . There are quite a few mountains that would be torn apart for the new road. I have been on the I-75 corridor from Michigan to the Fla. Turnpike many times and even if the new I-475 is not built I don't think it would make any difference on travel time. I mean the I-40/I-75 multiplex is busy but it is not quite I-95 in Connecticut.

--- End quote ---

There's a bad bottleneck on I-75 southbound where it joins I-640 westbound. The ramp is only one lane and traffic often backs up to the next exit (Merchants Drive) and sometimes beyond. I find it faster and less stressful to take I-275 (which is the old route of I-75 anyway) and then I-40 east if I'm going in that direction.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version