News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Suncoast Parkway

Started by roadman65, March 22, 2018, 08:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I thought that I would start a thread about the toll road heading along the Gulf Coast north of the Tampa Bay Area.

Found some interesting PDF's on the extension planned north of US 98.
http://www.floridasturnpike.com/content/projects/suncoast2/Interchange%203_SR%2044%20Interchange.pdf

Most has to do with the temporary north end of the highway in Project 2 of the extension. Right now according the FTE webpage it is only planned to end in Lecanto but studies will take the road possibly into Marion County. I believe it may connect to I-75 as I heard from someone here a while ago the master plan is to have it end there as an alternate to busy I-75.  I can't be sure, but why would FDOT include a PDE study in Marion County if it is to follow US 19 north of Crystal River?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

According to their FAQ, the official plan is to still bring the Suncoast to US 19/98 in the Red Level vicinity north of Crystal River (near former FL 488).  Some sort of tollway connection to I-75 is mentioned, but is a separate animal entirely with studies just now beginning (and public meetings planned at the end of April).  Thus, it's a long ways off.

roadman65

Yeah I saw the Coastal Connector, but I figured it would be an extension of the Suncoast Parkway.  Yes that part is in study and a long way off. However, the way Central Florida is growing, that when it does get built in 2050 it will be needed to open up new economic growth when the current growth along the I-4 corridor gets exhausted.

I predict someday rural Marion that many love now will become suburban and horse ranching will perish as land development will be more valuable then horse breeding.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Just my two cents but growth north of Crystal River is probably questionable at best.  That particular stretch of US 19/98 is one of the most rural in the state and pretty adequately served by the current expressway.  Traffic tends to flow pretty well south through Homosassa to the split in US 19/98, its a pretty wide open to Brooksville and Spring Hill from there.  The logical connection would be with I-75 somewhere near Ocala, perhaps following the FL 40 or FL 200 corridors.

roadman65

Or a fork just like FL 528 does at its east end.  One could connect with US 19 & 98 just north of Crystal River while the other follows SR 200 to Ocala.

Yes US 19 & 98 is rural pretty much all the way up to Perry. Both routes are even rural further, but I do not think anytime in this century we have to worry about sprawl reaching that side of the state.  Yes its 65 mph and from Lebanon to Chiefland the highway has a super wide median and very few crossroads.  Even a free flowing intersection at SR 24 in Otter Creek plus minimum stoplights in Chiefland, Fanning Springs, Old Town, and Cross City.  So a freeway won't help that much.

IMO continue SR 91 (the Turnpike Mainline)from I-75 and have it meet US 19 & 98 at Lebanon as once proposed and that will aid motorists to use all of 19 & 98 north of Crystal River.   Plus it would help if another Irma happens  as well.

Sheryl Crowe

jwolfer

I think the Suncoast parkway will come into 75 near Ocala and possibly link with a toll road link to SR 23 SW of Jacksonville.

I have the stuides to improve the corridor between Tampa Bay and Jacksonville so this will be all melded together somehow

Z981

DeaconG

Quote from: jwolfer on March 23, 2018, 07:08:14 PM
I think the Suncoast parkway will come into 75 near Ocala and possibly link with a toll road link to SR 23 SW of Jacksonville.

I have the stuides to improve the corridor between Tampa Bay and Jacksonville so this will be all melded together somehow

Z981

Nope, SR 23 is part of their First Coast Beltway project, it will link to I-95 and create a outer beltway/bypass around Jacksonville. For which it can't happen fast enough to suit me.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

jwolfer

Quote from: DeaconG on March 23, 2018, 09:15:21 PM
Quote from: jwolfer on March 23, 2018, 07:08:14 PM

Z981

Nope, SR 23 is part of their First Coast Beltway project, it will link to I-95 and create a outer beltway/bypass around Jacksonville. For which it can't happen fast enough to suit me.
I know that. I am very familiar with the SR23 project.

My parents live very near SR 23. I have been very excited about SR 23 for years. The Brannan Field/Chafee  Rd project has been talked about for at least 40 years. I remember my granny and aunt and uncle talking about it in 1981 when I was 10 years old. SR 23 is well on its way to completion to i95, that will make getting to St Augustine much easier for me

I am future tracking here.  There is a study by FDOT about improving access from Tampa to Jax.  Realistically the only way any new facilities are built is tolls. Yeah there are piecemeal improvements to 301 ongoing but 301 will go the way of us 27 near Clermont, more and more traffic lights as Jacksonville and Gainesville expand, the link from 301 to 75 via SR 326 is inadequate. 
There really isn't a need for Suncoast Parkway through the big bend area.. having it go to 75 will get more traffic

So I think the story will conclude with plans for a new FTE built toll road

Z981

roadman65

If they can only get it past SR 44.  It took this long to go beyond US 98, as too much interference already.

Sheryl Crowe

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone actually see the Suncoast Parkway being extended northward anytime soon?

jdb1234

Curious to know if using the Suncoast Parkway and US 19 is a decent alternative to driving I-75 in north Florida.  Looking at going this way because I feel like I have driven I-75 from I-10 to Tampa a few too many times.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jdb1234 on July 07, 2018, 02:55:50 PM
Curious to know if using the Suncoast Parkway and US 19 is a decent alternative to driving I-75 in north Florida.  Looking at going this way because I feel like I have driven I-75 from I-10 to Tampa a few too many times.

My opinion is that it is a way better alternative.  589 and US 19 north to I-10 was always my preferred route heading west out of the state.  US 19 multiplexes several US Routes but is a high quality four-lane Expressway with minimal traffic. 

Stephane Dumas

That article from Dec. 2017 might be already mentionned but it might be worth to mention again.  There was some talk of extending FL-589 up to the Florida-Georgia state line as an advantage to add one more hurricane evacuation route.  https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local-news/suncoast-parkway-could-be-extended-to-florida-georgia-state-line-to-help-with-hurricane-evacuations

A wye or a spur to Thallahassee and I-10 to desserve the Panhandle might be worth to study as well.

roadman65

North of Crystal River US 19 (and 98) both are four lane expressways with a few stop lights in Chiefland and some in Old Towne and Cross City.   They can really handle traffic as is.  Maybe some safety improvements from Cross City to Perry as that stretch is pretty boring. Even the long straightaway from Perry to Lamont is not as boring as that part.  Perhaps straightening it out some more as that part has some curves in it and the scenery is not that attractive around it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on July 08, 2018, 10:26:03 PM
North of Crystal River US 19 (and 98) both are four lane expressways with a few stop lights in Chiefland and some in Old Towne and Cross City.   They can really handle traffic as is.  Maybe some safety improvements from Cross City to Perry as that stretch is pretty boring. Even the long straightaway from Perry to Lamont is not as boring as that part.  Perhaps straightening it out some more as that part has some curves in it and the scenery is not that attractive around it.

You have some interesting ghost towns and abandoned sights like Otter Creek, Gulf Hammock, and Hampton Springs.  There are also an abandoned railroad grade running east of US 19/98 much of the way through Levy County.  For me I prefer the laid back feel of the roadway over something hectic like I-75.  It doesn't the cause of US 19 (at least for me) that there is some historic sight seeing if you know where to look.

jdb1234

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 08, 2018, 11:52:39 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 08, 2018, 10:26:03 PM

You have some interesting ghost towns and abandoned sights like Otter Creek, Gulf Hammock, and Hampton Springs.  There are also an abandoned railroad grade running east of US 19/98 much of the way through Levy County.  For me I prefer the laid back feel of the roadway over something hectic like I-75.  It doesn't the cause of US 19 (at least for me) that there is some historic sight seeing if you know where to look.

I have been on US 19 between I-10 and Chiefland, but it has been more than 20 years ago.  My dad went this way and got on I-75 in Ocala to reach Tampa when I-75 was being six-laned in north Florida back in the 90s.

Going this way allows me to clinch the only major highway I'm missing in Tampa, the Veterans Expressway.

RoadPelican

The speed limit on US 19 is mostly 65 MPH, however there are a few small towns that you have to slow down to 35-45 MPH for a few miles.  Perry, Chiefland and I think one or two others have reduced speed limits.

hotdogPi

I would extend it to Ocala and Jacksonville (see reply #5). I'm a bit surprised that Ocala and Gainesville don't have freeway spurs. I see that as better than extending along US 19 (which would parallel I-75).

One problem, though: It couldn't be called the Suncoast Parkway anymore, as most of it would not be on the coast.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: RoadPelican on July 09, 2018, 09:23:02 AM
The speed limit on US 19 is mostly 65 MPH, however there are a few small towns that you have to slow down to 35-45 MPH for a few miles.  Perry, Chiefland and I think one or two others have reduced speed limits.

Don't forget those annoying 45 MPH speed limits at major intersection.  That's an FDOT staple and I absolutely hate it. 

D-Dey65

Quote from: 1 on July 09, 2018, 09:30:53 AM
I would extend it to Ocala and Jacksonville (see reply #5). I'm a bit surprised that Ocala and Gainesville don't have freeway spurs. I see that as better than extending along US 19 (which would parallel I-75).

One problem, though: It couldn't be called the Suncoast Parkway anymore, as most of it would not be on the coast.
So, leave it on the coast, and have a separate highway as relief for US 301, a.k.a.; the Ocala-Fernandina Beach Expressway (Interstate 975).

edwaleni

While no one disagrees on daily capacity on US-98, crush capacity during catastrophic events is lacking.

The issues named above, specifically speed zones where it passes through local municipalities is probably what the toll road will be meant to address.

Build bypasses of these towns will help improve safety and flow as residents exit. Tolls are waived during these events anyway.

Most hurricanes on the gulf side work up from the south, so its logical that many will escape to the north.

On the flip side providing better access to Tampa from the north that doesn't rely on I-75 exclusively is a good strategic move for tourism.

I have seen so many Jax-Tampa proposals over the years, but the last one was something coming off FL-23 (First Coast Tollway) go down by Camp Blanding, create a bypass of Gainesville and extend to some future Sunshine Parkway extension near Bronson.

One thing FDOT knows for sure. Jax-Tampa that relies on I-4 is not sustainable. once they get that mess through Orlando fixed, you know they will start looking north of Tampa soon thereafter.

VTGoose

Quote from: edwaleni on August 12, 2019, 10:45:27 PM
While no one disagrees on daily capacity on US-98, crush capacity during catastrophic events is lacking.

The issues named above, specifically speed zones where it passes through local municipalities is probably what the toll road will be meant to address.

Build bypasses of these towns will help improve safety and flow as residents exit. Tolls are waived during these events anyway.

Most hurricanes on the gulf side work up from the south, so its logical that many will escape to the north.

On the flip side providing better access to Tampa from the north that doesn't rely on I-75 exclusively is a good strategic move for tourism.

I have seen so many Jax-Tampa proposals over the years, but the last one was something coming off FL-23 (First Coast Tollway) go down by Camp Blanding, create a bypass of Gainesville and extend to some future Sunshine Parkway extension near Bronson.

One thing FDOT knows for sure. Jax-Tampa that relies on I-4 is not sustainable. once they get that mess through Orlando fixed, you know they will start looking north of Tampa soon thereafter.

"Build bypasses of these towns" -- like the Starke bypass that is still not complete after four years of construction? Perhaps if Florida starts now such a highway (which is needed) between Jacksonville and the Tampa area might be ready by the middle of the century. Even if it is like U.S. 301 between Callahan and Baldwin it would be an improvement over the southern section of 301 between Baldwin and Zuber.
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

edwaleni

Quote from: VTGoose on August 13, 2019, 10:42:29 AM
Quote from: edwaleni on August 12, 2019, 10:45:27 PM

"Build bypasses of these towns" -- like the Starke bypass that is still not complete after four years of construction? Perhaps if Florida starts now such a highway (which is needed) between Jacksonville and the Tampa area might be ready by the middle of the century. Even if it is like U.S. 301 between Callahan and Baldwin it would be an improvement over the southern section of 301 between Baldwin and Zuber.

I won't disagree on the length of time the Starke and Baldwin Bypasses have taken.

FDOT has really gone overboard with highway construction since Scott became governor. In fact in 2017, highway construction in Duval County Florida alone went over $1 billion in total spend which made it the #1 economic engine in Jacksonville.

All of this construction in so many nearby places in northern Florida hasn't been without some problems. Namely resources (human bodies) and equipment for the contractors. Being low bidders they are reluctant to make unnecessary capital expenses and attempt to shuttle leased equipment around their job sites.

Just think about all of the projects all running at the same time from orlando north.

The I-4 Orlando "super project" has sucked in an enormous amount of materiel, bodies, contractors, sub-contractors.  It's a very big deal.

- First Coast Beltway (now clearing land in Clay County)
- Fuller-Warren Bridge Expansion
- I-295 Toll express lanes east beltway
- Baldwin Bypass
- Starke Bypass
- A1A to 6 lane reconstruction Yulee
- The I-295 / I-95 ramps on the northside

And they finally  finished the
- Overland Bridge
- I-295 Toll express lanes in Mandarin
- I-795 (9B) extension to St Johns
- I-295 exit with Hecksher Drive
- FL23/I-10 ramps to Beaver Street

This is a freaking huge amount of road construction in any area. And that doesn't include many of the "side projects" going on in the area.

Some of this "mass of work" feeds off each other.  Since a supplier or contractor already has a large bid quota to fulfill, or already has resources to assign, they can bid a little lower to still win the business. The compels local DOT's to use more of their budgets and bid yet more work.

Hence it keeps feeding on itself. But it causes these long pauses of work as some part of the chain tries to catch up.

edwaleni

edwaleni

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.