News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Gas-guzzling "Sport Utility Vehicles"

Started by Hwy 61 Revisited, March 31, 2021, 03:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

I'd be interested to know what the stopping distance would be for a 2022 Crown Victoria nine-passenger station wagon or whatever theoretical "equivalent" is being proposed.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Dang.  I just bought a 2020 Nissan Rogue.  Oh well.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ozarkman417

Oh no what a shame that you chose a ton of extra practicality over a whole 3 mpg on the highway (0 in the city) compared to its sedan counterpart.

Zeffy

Personally, I find more issue with massive pickup trucks than SUVs. As someone in a small compact hatchback, it's near impossible to see around normal new pickup trucks, and that becomes doubly impossible if they have any sort of lift on them. I have to put myself further in the intersection to see around them than if they were in pretty much anything smaller. Not to mention, if one of them hits me, I'm put at a massive disadvantage (3k lbs vs 5k lbs) and I'll be the one to fare worse, probably.

And don't get me started on the new Hummer EV or the "Cyber"truck...
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

JayhawkCO

And for the record, I'd be fine making some restrictions in aftermarket lift sizes.  3" or so, fine.  People jacking them up like monster trucks seems excessive. 

Chris

oscar

Quote from: jayhawkco on April 01, 2021, 09:55:27 AM
And for the record, I'd be fine making some restrictions in aftermarket lift sizes.  3" or so, fine.  People jacking them up like monster trucks seems excessive. 

There are unpaved roads, such as Steele Pass in Death Valley National Park, where you need some lift to not get high-centered, and my old pickup truck (no lift, stock configuration) couldn't go there on both of my visits to the area. Adding lift isn't something you can do roadside, and there aren't any shops in the area off the paved highway network. So having enough lift for Steele Pass means some travel on paved state highways to get to the pass.

I'm not crazy about monster trucks, especially the ones with bumpers way up in the air and not coming close to the typical bumper height for cars and other trucks. Just realize there's a tradeoff there.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

SectorZ

Chris

At least that concern has legitimate safety considerations.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: oscar on April 01, 2021, 10:13:55 AM

There are unpaved roads, such as Steele Pass in Death Valley National Park, where you need some lift to not get high-centered, and my old pickup truck (no lift, stock configuration) couldn't go there on both of my visits to the area. Adding lift isn't something you can do roadside, and there aren't any shops in the area off the paved highway network. So having enough lift for Steele Pass means some travel on paved state highways to get to the pass.

I'm not crazy about monster trucks, especially the ones with bumpers way up in the air and not coming close to the typical bumper height for cars and other trucks. Just realize there's a tradeoff there.

And hence why I drive a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.  There are almost no roads I can't take my vehicle on.  There are trails I wouldn't for fear of body damage, but I can't imagine needing to ever add a body or suspension lift to my ride.

Chris

kphoger

Quote from: Zeffy on April 01, 2021, 09:20:29 AM
Not to mention, if one of them hits me, I'm put at a massive disadvantage (3k lbs vs 5k lbs) and I'll be the one to fare worse, probably.

A few years ago, I accidentally ran a red light and T-boned a 2002 Honda Accord with a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder.  Yeah, guess who won that fight?  Pushed the whole thing up on the sidewalk.

True, my Pathfinder was totaled out by insurance, but I was able to drive around for a few days first.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bwana39

Our 2015 V-6 Explorer was sluggish and made 26 MPG. Our 2018 with the same engine is far more powerful with 22 mpg...

As to surprises.

I drove a Scion xD and it made 28 tops it moped around.   I replaced it with a Ford Fusion better acceleration and handling and 31 MPG.  The fusion DID cost 7K more, but the size difference was a big part of that.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

HighwayStar

Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2021, 04:42:10 PM
I'd be interested to know what the stopping distance would be for a 2022 Crown Victoria nine-passenger station wagon or whatever theoretical "equivalent" is being proposed.

No worse than a comparable SUV, and being lower center of gravity it should be more controllable during a hard stop.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.