Regional Boards > Southeast

Wooden sign posts in eastern NC

(1/1)

fillup420:
I drive around NC a lot for work. I have noticed that any construction activities involving sign replacement receive wooden posts for the new signs. It seems like a dated practice, given the tendency of wood to decay over time. However, I like it. I enjoy the look of some fresh wooden sign posts. I'm curious, is this a practice unique to the coastal plains of North Carolina? It is definitely not common in western parts of the state. What about other states?

tolbs17:

--- Quote from: fillup420 on May 10, 2021, 06:19:29 PM ---I drive around NC a lot for work. I have noticed that any construction activities involving sign replacement receive wooden posts for the new signs. It seems like a dated practice, given the tendency of wood to decay over time. However, I like it. I enjoy the look of some fresh wooden sign posts. I'm curious, is this a practice unique to the coastal plains of North Carolina? It is definitely not common in western parts of the state. What about other states?

--- End quote ---
When they replaced signs near the SW bypass, the steel ones were replaced with wood.

architect77:
I personally don't like it, but California uses wood posts on shoulder signs throughout the state. .I like beefy wide-flange posts.

You know the standards for these signs in NC is very expensive. Wineries pay $60,000 for 1 or 2 signs on the interstate.

They all have concrete footings, and sturdy bolted plates for the posts.

fillup420:

--- Quote from: architect77 on May 16, 2021, 05:27:03 AM ---I personally don't like it, but California uses wood posts on shoulder signs throughout the state. .I like beefy wide-flange posts.

You know the standards for these signs in NC is very expensive. Wineries pay $60,000 for 1 or 2 signs on the interstate.

They all have concrete footings, and sturdy bolted plates for the posts.

--- End quote ---

I can see why the DOT charges handsomely for those signs. It must bring in a good amount of business though

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version