Regional Boards > Southeast

From the north along I-95 to Tampa Bay/ SW Florida

<< < (5/5)

jeffandnicole:

--- Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 04, 2021, 10:14:52 PM ---
--- Quote from: VTGoose on May 28, 2021, 04:09:03 PM ---
--- Quote from: 1995hoo on May 27, 2021, 06:29:25 PM ---Note there is a big construction project underway on I-10 at the US-301 interchange. Not sure what they’re doing, and it didn’t really delay us, but the temporary signage appeared to confuse a trucker who swerved at the last minute and almost caused a wreck.

--- End quote ---

This seems to be a make-work project since it has been going on for about 6 years now. One piece that did get done was a new ramp from U.S. 301 north to I-10 east, offering up an exit on the right from U.S. 301. Until that was done, there was a left turn at a short traffic light that backed up traffic for a distance (mainly trucks from the truck stops there).

Bruce in Blacksburg

--- End quote ---
Really? Because I thought that was partially in conjunction with the construction of the Baldwin Bypass.

--- End quote ---

They are two independent projects.

The 10/301 project and the 95/295 project are both similar in that they are extremely slow. I've been driving down one or twice a year for 10 years now, and am just amazed at the lack of work getting done.

As for the confused trucker, it could be because the ramp from 10 West to 301 South has changed several times, and signage appears to be getting worse with each change. For occasional users of the interchange, it's a surprise every time as to where the ramp location will be.

Tom958:
Off topic, but I can't believe that they didn't build a tollway from I-75 between Ocala and Gainesville and the southwest corner of I-295 back in the sixties or seventies. It would've been a significant shortcut between Jacksonville and both Gainesville and Ocala, and the savings in time and distance between Jacksonville and Tampa would've justified any reasonable toll.

1:

--- Quote from: Tom958 on August 30, 2021, 06:10:25 AM ---Off topic, but I can't believe that they didn't build a tollway from I-75 between Ocala and Gainesville and the southwest corner of I-295 back in the sixties or seventies. It would've been a significant shortcut between Jacksonville and both Gainesville and Ocala, and the savings in time and distance between Jacksonville and Tampa would've justified any reasonable toll.

--- End quote ---

Florida wasn't nearly as populous back then.

Alex:

--- Quote from: 1995hoo on May 27, 2021, 06:29:25 PM ---Coming south today, our visit in Lake Asbury was postponed because our friend is moving, so I took I-10 west to US-301, then south (including Alt 301 around Starke) to FL-326 (I actually took the turn before that, 77th Street, due to a clump of slow trucks and a red light). This was a very good route; the 70-mph Starke bypass is a nice road, and overall traffic was so light that getting back on the Interstate was a bummer. Note there is a big construction project underway on I-10 at the US-301 interchange. Not sure what they’re doing, and it didn’t really delay us, but the temporary signage appeared to confuse a trucker who swerved at the last minute and almost caused a wreck.

--- End quote ---

This is my standard way between Tampa and Jacksonville on my regular trips to Delaware. Usually I am pressed for time and do not consider anything else as there is no faster route. I always take the 77th St cutoff between SR 326 and U.S. 301 too. Occassionally a semi or two will also take 77th street but its still worth it as it cuts out a signal and is slightly shorter. The guide signs for SR 326 on I-75 with no destination nor reference of U.S. 301 are annoying, as is the lack of a needed controlled access link between I-75 and U.S. 301.

The never ending construction at I-10/U.S. 301 expanded the former folded diamond interchange into a six-ramp parclo. It added c/d roadways as well, which currently are doubling as the I-10 mainline. Work started in February 2016 and will not be finished until Summer 2023. https://nflroads.com/ProjectDetails.aspx?p=5066

D-Dey65:

--- Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 29, 2021, 11:53:22 PM ---They are two independent projects.

The 10/301 project and the 95/295 project are both similar in that they are extremely slow. I've been driving down one or twice a year for 10 years now, and am just amazed at the lack of work getting done.

--- End quote ---

Actually, I was talking about the  10/301 project and the Baldwin Bypass project being in conjunction with one another. If I'm wrong about that, so be it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version