Regional Boards > Southeast

SunPass "Pro"

<< < (3/4) > >>

NJRoadfan:
If you are driving E-ZPass roads, you want the SunPass Pro as the equipment doesn't support the ISO 6B SeGo stickers at all. Relying on plate readers will not work with most closed ticket system toll roads or the remaining plazas that still have gates on them. You'll either be charged the full length of the roadway (for closed ticket roads) and/or the non-discounted "toll-by-plate" rates. Other facilities like the Virginia HOT lanes on 95/495 require a working tag or you'll get a hefty violation notice.

Rothman:

--- Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 27, 2021, 04:51:05 PM ---If you are driving E-ZPass roads, you want the SunPass Pro as the equipment doesn't support the ISO 6B SeGo stickers at all. Relying on plate readers will not work with most closed ticket system toll roads or the remaining plazas that still have gates on them. You'll either be charged the full length of the roadway (for closed ticket roads) and/or the non-discounted "toll-by-plate" rates. Other facilities like the Virginia HOT lanes on 95/495 require a working tag or you'll get a hefty violation notice.

--- End quote ---
They say the Pro is accepted by E-ZPass, though.

ran4sh:

--- Quote from: edwaleni on July 26, 2021, 09:40:28 AM ---Billboards have started popping up about SunPass "Pro". A toll device good across multiple state.

SunPass PRO is a portable transponder that works in Florida, Georgia and everywhere E-ZPass is accepted. SunPass PRO offers drivers the convenience of paying tolls automatically from Florida to Maine and west to Illinois, allowing nonstop travel with just one toll account.

SunPass PRO is a product of SunPass, Florida’s Prepaid Toll Program.

https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/pro.shtml

Does anyone have this and is it worth it over just a regular SunPass, which I thought a single transponder was enough?

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: edwaleni on July 26, 2021, 11:10:38 PM ---
--- Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 26, 2021, 04:58:08 PM ---Going to put this here since its relevant. If you have a SunPass account, but not a SunPass Pro and use a "toll-by-plate" facility in an E-ZPass state, they will eventually bill your account if your license plate is linked to your account. A friend of mine drove across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and later took US-301 in Delaware expecting a bill, only to see the charges appear on his SunPass account somewhat unexpectedly. He was billed the full "toll-by-plate" rate in Delaware, but Maryland charged the non-MD E-ZPass rate.

--- End quote ---

Exactly why I am asking the question about Pro vs regular. Would it make a difference if the SunPass transponder was up on the window?

If not "Pro" they would simply read your plate and bill the regular "plate rate".

--- End quote ---

A regular SunPass cannot be read by E-ZPass equipment. That is why the SunPass Pro exists in the first place. For a SunPass user to use E-ZPass roads they are supposed to use a SunPass Pro.

Some (most?) E-ZPass roads do not have "regular plate rates", they were only designed to have tolls paid in cash or E-ZPass transponder and the license plate cameras are only used to catch violators.

edwaleni:

--- Quote from: ran4sh on July 27, 2021, 07:48:37 PM ---
--- Quote from: edwaleni on July 26, 2021, 09:40:28 AM ---Billboards have started popping up about SunPass "Pro". A toll device good across multiple state.

SunPass PRO is a portable transponder that works in Florida, Georgia and everywhere E-ZPass is accepted. SunPass PRO offers drivers the convenience of paying tolls automatically from Florida to Maine and west to Illinois, allowing nonstop travel with just one toll account.

SunPass PRO is a product of SunPass, Florida’s Prepaid Toll Program.

https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/pro.shtml

Does anyone have this and is it worth it over just a regular SunPass, which I thought a single transponder was enough?

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: edwaleni on July 26, 2021, 11:10:38 PM ---
--- Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 26, 2021, 04:58:08 PM ---Going to put this here since its relevant. If you have a SunPass account, but not a SunPass Pro and use a "toll-by-plate" facility in an E-ZPass state, they will eventually bill your account if your license plate is linked to your account. A friend of mine drove across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and later took US-301 in Delaware expecting a bill, only to see the charges appear on his SunPass account somewhat unexpectedly. He was billed the full "toll-by-plate" rate in Delaware, but Maryland charged the non-MD E-ZPass rate.

--- End quote ---

Exactly why I am asking the question about Pro vs regular. Would it make a difference if the SunPass transponder was up on the window?

If not "Pro" they would simply read your plate and bill the regular "plate rate".

--- End quote ---

A regular SunPass cannot be read by E-ZPass equipment. That is why the SunPass Pro exists in the first place. For a SunPass user to use E-ZPass roads they are supposed to use a SunPass Pro.

Some (most?) E-ZPass roads do not have "regular plate rates", they were only designed to have tolls paid in cash or E-ZPass transponder and the license plate cameras are only used to catch violators.

--- End quote ---

I was curious that if they have the ability to read your plate and confirm its identity, then they would have the ability to see if they subscribe to "any" eToll provider.

Technically they could provide a discounted plate rate to these "foreign" subscribers that is less than the straight non-sub rate but still more than a EZ-Pass rate.

I know how these systems can interchange data very easily and very cheaply without having to have everyone resell a bunch of multi-mode transponders.

But I get it, these are government entities we are talking about.

NJRoadfan:
E-ZPass roads will not send a violation if you have the vehicle plate associated with your account. This is a fallback in case your tag doesn't read. It applies to other member agencies as well as CFX charged my E-ZPass account when my SunPass tag didn't read (my E-ZPass was wrapped in foil to prevent possible double charges). I know E-ZPass will send a note to the account holder if excessive no-tag transactions start occurring as its usually a sign that the battery in the tag is failing. Even though I'm an account holder, matching up a plate to an account still costs a bit more than just having a tag read.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version