News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

South Carolina I-585

Started by rickmastfan67, September 30, 2010, 11:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

I was just doing some work on fixing up all of my South Carolina files for the CHM project, and I've noticed via StreetView that I-585 has been extended North of Business I-85 now.  The question is, how far North and does it get all the way to I-85 again?

Well, I was able to download the most current GIS data I could find from SCDOT and it still shows I-585's Northern end @ Business I-85.  So that's a dead end on that front.

From what I can tell in StreetView, it "seems" that it gets up to the last remaining at-grade intersection between I-85 and Business I-85 along US-176 here.  Here's the ONLY mainline I-585 shield that I can find along US-176 in that area.  But, all of the interchange ramps mention I-585 with US-176. (1, 2, & 3)

So, has anybody recently been along I-85 or US-176?  Any info on how far I-585 has been extended would be greatly appreciated because the views in StreetView on I-85 still show the BGS's saying "US-176 TO I-585".

OracleUsr

I think it ends just short of the Spartanburg Bypass.

I'm headed to Clemson tomorrow, I'll let you know.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

rickmastfan67

Thanks.  Really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

OracleUsr

Okay, I drove I-585 today en route back from Greenville, where I stayed last night.

The I-585 freeway seems to end right at I-85 Bypass.  There is no END shield for it (there isn't at the southern terminus either), but the last reassurance marker is just before the junction with I-85. 

Interesting to see a Minnesota style gore sign on I-585S at US 221.

rickmastfan67

Did the BGS's on I-85 still say "US-176 TO I-585" on them still?

OracleUsr

I think so.  I wasn't paying attention when I drove down to Greenville Friday night, and I used the Business Loop on the way back to NC Sunday.  The highway is freeway-grade all the way from US 221/SC 9 to I-85 proper, for what it's worth.

The odd part is that the junction with Business I-85 is unnumbered on the actual BGS' at the junction, but the signage has large initial caps, unusual for SC.

rickmastfan67

Thanks.

BTW, did you happen to notice where the first SB I-585 shield is located possibly?  From my looking in StreetView, I didn't find the first SB shield till after BL I-85.  This was on the mainline of I-585/US-176 of course.  Not counting the ramps onto I-585.

formulanone

Just drove on I-585 yesterday, and took a few shots. Normally, I'd rue any interstate with 40 MPH signs, but this one had plenty of relics worth a second look.

This beauty was on Pine Street, just before it becomes a limited-access interstate:

This was actually the second re-assurance marker, going north:

Ramp after another ramp, sandwiched by a traffic light. Unusual design, but a compact way to deal with traffic:

Wow...I have my doubts this sign will ever be replaced by the DOT, but pure button copy goodness:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.