News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Why is the Atlanta Beltway numbered 285?

Started by jwolfer, August 23, 2011, 01:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwolfer

I was wondering why is the Atlanta Beltway or Perimeter numbered 285 and not 275.  It seems that I-75 is more of a through/transcontinental route in Atlanta than I-85.  I have been thinking that it should be a x75.  Any input or secret knowledge out there?

RoadWarrior56

You would probably have to consult AASHO or the BPR from about 1957 to get the actual answer.

My suspicion is that I-85 and I-285 have a 2+mile common section in the SW section of town near the airport, which would make a good place to terminate I-285, I suspect that could had contributed.

There is no common section with I-75.  Plus I-285 is approximately evenly bisected between both I-85 interchanges.  The two "sides" of I-285 between the I-75 interchanges are not even as far as distance is concerned.  The eastern arc is much longer than the western arc.

InterstateNG

There are four other 275's out there, including the full beltway around Cincinnati.  Perhaps they just wanted something to differentiate.
I demand an apology.

Brandon

If they wanted different, I-420 would've worked well.  A freeway you can drive and smoke.  :-D
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jwolfer

Quote from: Brandon on August 23, 2011, 10:07:47 PM
If they wanted different, I-420 would've worked well.  A freeway you can drive and smoke.  :-D

Imagine the replacement costs for the signs on I-420.  Every college kid would want one for the dorm wall. I know in college we wantd a zero drug tolerance sign

jwolfer

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on August 23, 2011, 07:49:39 PM
You would probably have to consult AASHO or the BPR from about 1957 to get the actual answer.

My suspicion is that I-85 and I-285 have a 2+mile common section in the SW section of town near the airport, which would make a good place to terminate I-285, I suspect that could had contributed.

There is no common section with I-75.  Plus I-285 is approximately evenly bisected between both I-85 interchanges.  The two "sides" of I-285 between the I-75 interchanges are not even as far as distance is concerned.  The eastern arc is much longer than the western arc.

That would make sense since it was routed w I-85

1995hoo

Post edited: Sorry about the blank post. The image I had embedded evidently wouldn't load, so I've found a different copy.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

OCGuy81

QuoteImagine the replacement costs for the signs on I-420.  Every college kid would want one for the dorm wall. I know in college we wantd a zero drug tolerance sign

Yet they have, and are proceeding with plans for I-69.  I imagine a LOT of those are taken each year as well! :-D

roadman65

Actually using I-285 is much better than using I-287 in New Jersey considering its parent never enters this state.  Also, both ends of I-287 interchange with I-95.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jwolfer

Quote from: roadman65 on October 25, 2011, 09:39:00 PM
Actually using I-285 is much better than using I-287 in New Jersey considering its parent never enters this state.  Also, both ends of I-287 interchange with I-95.

Agreed at least 285 loops around 85 on both ends

All the even x95s were planned in NJ. The only ones actually built were 295 and 495 although 495 is no longer an interstate.

I say bring I-87 in NJ using the Garden State Parkway. And make the current I-87 into NYC I-187  There would have to be some upgrades to the road and trucks would have to be allowed among other things.  I grew up in Ocean County and I always wanted a 2di all we had in the county I-195.  I am straying into fictional highway territory here.  I will stop.

Alps

Quote from: jwolfer on October 26, 2011, 08:32:28 AM

All the even x95s were planned in NJ. The only ones actually built were 295 and 495 although 495 is no longer an interstate.
As far as I know 695 was not planned for many years after the I-system was incorporated, once I-95 started moving about near New Brunswick.

roadman65

Quote from: jwolfer on October 26, 2011, 08:32:28 AM

I say bring I-87 in NJ using the Garden State Parkway. And make the current I-87 into NYC I-187  There would have to be some upgrades to the road and trucks would have to be allowed among other things.  I grew up in Ocean County and I always wanted a 2di all we had in the county I-195.  I am straying into fictional highway territory here.  I will stop.

Interesting note.  I-287 does junction more with I-95 than its own parent.
Having I-87 on the GSP would work considering that a lot of French Canadian Tourists do vacation in Cape May.

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

QuoteInteresting note.  I-287 does junction more with I-95 than its own parent.

However, I-287 has a noticeable duplex with its parent, so one could argue there are multiple junctions with it (for each interchange along the way).

jwolfer

Quote from: froggie on October 27, 2011, 06:37:10 AM

However, I-287 has a noticeable duplex with its parent, so one could argue there are multiple junctions with it (for each interchange along the way).

True.  I was thinking about NJ only

brownpelican

Quote from: OCGuy81 on October 20, 2011, 10:21:37 AM
QuoteImagine the replacement costs for the signs on I-420.  Every college kid would want one for the dorm wall. I know in college we wantd a zero drug tolerance sign

Yet they have, and are proceeding with plans for I-69.  I imagine a LOT of those are taken each year as well! :-D

For real!!!  :) :)

1995hoo

Quote from: brownpelican on October 27, 2011, 05:17:25 PM

Someone at my brother's fraternity stole a "No Dumping" sign and put it on the bathroom door.  :clap:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Quote from: jwolfer on October 27, 2011, 02:10:10 PM
Quote from: froggie on October 27, 2011, 06:37:10 AM

True.  I was thinking about NJ only

One way of looking at it.

Sheryl Crowe

jwolfer

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 27, 2011, 05:38:31 PM
Quote from: brownpelican on October 27, 2011, 05:17:25 PM

Someone at my brother's fraternity stole a "No Dumping" sign and put it on the bathroom door.  :clap:

we had one in college in out apartment.  I think i still have it in my shed. my wife wont let me put in the bathroom

Revive 755

Quote from: Brandon on August 23, 2011, 10:07:47 PM

I'm not sure the order in which they were proposed, but there was an I-420 proposed in the GA 166 corridor.  See http://www.kurumi.com/roads/3di/ix20.html#420ga

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.