News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Exit Numbers on Pavements in Florida

Started by roadman65, October 05, 2011, 08:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I noticed now that the State of Florida is painting the exit numbers on the shoulders next to the exits.  I-4, The Florida Turnpike, and other freeways you can see them right at the exit painted on the shoulder.  Is that something new that only FDOT came out with, or is something else going on?  I have not sesn them elsewhere.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

It's probably 5 or so years old. I seem to remember they started after a major hurricane so emergency responders could find the exits even when all the signs were down.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Ace10

That, plus the exit numbers may be big enough to be visible from the air. I didn't know if they intended for them to be viewable at altitudes, though.

FLRoads

Indeed, they were implemented in May 2006 to aid in emergency management in case of sign damage. They were placed along all limited access highways within the state, and yes, the size of the numbers was purposely done for aerial identification. I think the 2004 hurricane season had a little something to do with this... :spin:

I found this document at FDOT to answer any additional questions:

http://www.dot.state.fl.us/rddesign/updates/files/DB060503.pdf

It's a three page PDF with the first two pages being a memorandum about the background and implementation while the last page shows the design specification for laying out the numbers at interchanges.

jwolfer

Quote from: flaroads on October 05, 2011, 09:10:52 PM
Indeed, they were implemented in May 2006 to aid in emergency management in case of sign damage. They were placed along all limited access highways within the state, and yes, the size of the numbers was purposely done for aerial identification. I think the 2004 hurricane season had a little something to do with this... :spin:

I found this document at FDOT to answer any additional questions:

http://www.dot.state.fl.us/rddesign/updates/files/DB060503.pdf

It's a three page PDF with the first two pages being a memorandum about the background and implementation while the last page shows the design specification for laying out the numbers at interchanges.

You can see the exit numbers for the Jacksonville East Beltway alreay even though signs have not been updated

BamaZeus

I noticed that when we were there last week.  Half the signs on 9A don't even have exit numbers on them, but the road markings are already there.

FLRoads

Well all existing and new interchanges had to have the markings in place after May 2006, so that is the reason for the exit numbers painted on FL 9A on the eastern side of Jacksonville. At least you can preview what the exit numbers will be once (and if) I-295 gets signed on that portion...

I-295 was to have already been completely signed around the eastern part of the beltway but the feds now don't want to pay for maintenance on that portion, so FL 9A it will remain in the meantime...

roadman65

I think it is a neat idea and hopefully all the states may adopt it.  It does help as the numbers are big enough to see when driving.

Sheryl Crowe

wriddle082

South Carolina seems to have adopted this practice as well.  They will paint a black rectangle on top of the interchange bridge, and white numbers on the rectangle.  So if the freeway bridges over the intersecting road, the number will be on one of the freeway bridges.  Or if the intersecting road bridges over the freeway, the number is on the intersecting road's bridge.  Basically it's whichever road is on top, so that implies that the numbers are meant to be seen from the air.

MASTERNC

Quote from: roadman65 on October 13, 2011, 07:04:43 PM
I think it is a neat idea and hopefully all the states may adopt it.  It does help as the numbers are big enough to see when driving.

Only issue in the Northeast is they would be useless with all the snow that could cover them up (not to mention the damage to the markings from the plows)

bdmoss88

Just saw this in Texas last week, at least around San Antonio where we were.

roadman65

Quote from: MASTERNC on October 19, 2011, 10:32:42 PM

Only issue in the Northeast is they would be useless with all the snow that could cover them up (not to mention the damage to the markings from the plows)

You have something there.

Sheryl Crowe

Brandon

Why?  They'll be covered during winter with snow and ice here.  A waste for the Midwest, Northwest, and Mountain states.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.