Typical format of sign rehabilitation plans, by state

Started by J N Winkler, January 29, 2014, 09:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

Key:

The following types of sheets are routinely included in a typical plans set for sign replacement:

L = layout sheets (roadway plan with sign locations)

D = sign detail sheets (dimensioned drawings of signs)

E = elevation sheets (driver's-eye views of overhead gantries and, on occasion, ground-mounted signs)

S = summary sheets with sign sketches (not including summary sheets without sketches; summary sheets of one type or the other are invariably provided)

Format is typically as follows for most (not necessarily all) sign replacement plans issued by the agency:

p = pattern-accurate (signing sheets show signs with the typefaces that are actually to be used for fabrication)

n = not pattern-accurate (generic CAD plotting fonts used instead)

This list includes state DOTs only--I am not tackling turnpike authorities at this stage.  "N/A" means I don't have information for a given agency.  Unless otherwise noted, a given classification takes into account drawing availability both in the plans set and the proposal book.  (For example, AK is generally L only in plans, with D in the proposal book.)  For some states which rarely do structural work as part of sign replacement contracts, "E" is a conjecture based on signing plans for turnkey jobs.

HI  N/A
AK  LDSp
WA LDp
OR  LDp
CA  LDEp
NV  LDEp
ID  LDp
MT  Ln
WY  Lp
CO  LEp
NM  LDp
AZ  LDEp
UT  LDEp
TX  LDESp
OK  LDEp
KS  LDESp
NE  LDp
SD  LDESp
ND  LDEp
MN  LDESp
IA  LDEp
MO  LDEp
AR  LDEp
TN  Ln
KY  LDSp
IL  LDEp
IN  LDESp
OH  LDEn
MI  LDEp
WI  LDp
LA  Ln
MS  LDEp
AL  LDEp
GA  LDEp
FL  LDEp
SC  LDEp
NC  LDEp (LEp until about four years ago)
WV  LDp
VA  LDESp
MD  LESp
PA  LDEp
NJ  LDp
NY  LESp (LDESp if signface layouts, not included in the plans set or proposal but a standard part of the construction document distribution, are considered)
MA  LSp
CT  LDEp
RI  LDEp
VT  DSp
NH  LSp
ME  LDEp
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.