News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"Name That Arcade Game"

Started by thenetwork, June 18, 2013, 09:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

After seeing the long thread on highways in video games, an old (and I mean OLD) coin-op arcade driving game popped into my mind.   The only time I saw this game was at the long-gone Idora Park in Youngstown, OH about 30 years ago and it probably was that much old when I saw it. I don't know the name of the game, but I figured if I include enough description, someone can ID it and I can look up more details of the game on the internet. 

Here is what I know about the game:

- It was a driving game (not sure if it was a stand-up or sit-down game)
- The option was to keep your "car" -- consisting of a red car-shaped block of wood -- within your lane
- The wooden car had a set of red "tail lights" if you were not within a lane, and a set of green "tail lights" if you were within your lane.

Here is what separates this game with other "driving games"...

-  The wooden car was against a projection screen which showed a looping film scene(s) of driving on actual stretches of a 1950's or 60's era freeway(s).  Looking back on a fuzzy 30-some year memory, I want to say it looked like a California-style 6-8 lane freeway (possibly San Francisco) and one of the exits was possibly a  "St. Regis Street"?

1) Can anybody Identify &/or remember playing this arcade game?
2) What stretch(es) of freeway were filmed for use in the game?

:hmmm:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.