Riverwatch drivers ticketed for doing the correct speed limit (55 mph)

Started by mjb2002, June 25, 2013, 04:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjb2002

I thought that there would have been some mention of this story on here already, but since I didn't see it, I'm posting it now.

QuoteAUGUSTA, GA (WRDW) -- Some Augusta drivers are upset over the wrong speed limit sign posted on River Watch Parkway. The city's engineering department says they caught the problem and corrected it in early June.

The problem is that the Richmond County Sheriff's Office has been writing tickets to drivers based on the lower speed limit.

"They normally come down the road and it's 55 mph. Next thing you know, they're getting a ticket. It wasn't their fault," said driver Dorothy Salagado.

The city says Massana Construction could be to blame. The company is building a trail extension and two bridges off River Watch Parkway. The westbound lane of traffic was reduced to 45 mph near the construction site. The problem is the 55 mile per hour sign was just uncovered a few weeks back.

"They put a bag over the 45 mph and not over the 55 mph. They weren't switching it back and forth like they should have been," said
Augusta Traffic Engineer Steve Cassell.

In the meantime, at least 10 or more drivers got tickets.

http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/Some-tickets-written-on-Riverwatch-Parkway-could-be-thrown-out-212831841.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.