News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Retired MUTCD signs.

Started by RobbieL2415, September 01, 2019, 05:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on December 09, 2019, 03:15:40 PM
There was a sign in NJ (thank you steve a) reading "Go children slow". How slow is "children slow".

I remember signs like this in Massachusetts.  Because 'Go' and 'Slow' were smaller than 'Children', I suspect the original designer presumed that drivers would automatically read 'Children' first.

Reminds me of an old Bob and Ray routine, where someone writes to their word expert:

Gentlemen.  There's a highway sign near my house that reads 'Slow Pedestrians Crossing.'  However, whenever I pass by the sign, there are rarely any pedestrians at all, and those that do cross can hardly be described as slow.  I'm miffed at the highway department for promising me an easy crack at slow pedestrians and then failing to follow through.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: hbelkins on December 09, 2019, 02:16:20 PM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on December 07, 2019, 08:19:00 PM
Quote from: Brian556 on December 07, 2019, 08:08:08 PM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on December 07, 2019, 04:14:21 PM
Quote from: o on December 07, 2019, 03:58:23 PM
IIRC, the "Slow Children at Play" sign was in the MUTCD but was removed years ago. Hasn't stopped many municipalities from putting them up though...
Some parents probably complained and misinterpreted it as an insult towards their own special, unique little shit machine.

I once knew a special ed teacher that wanted one for her classroom
Well, you are associated with a state DOT. You should get one made for her as some sort of good gesture.

It's not that easy. Trust me.
Those of you that are with a state DOT, how do you not collect more signage than you do currently? You guys are in a gold mine!
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

US71

Checotah, OK

Williamsville, IL
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

roadman

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on December 09, 2019, 09:26:30 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 09, 2019, 02:16:20 PM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on December 07, 2019, 08:19:00 PM
Quote from: Brian556 on December 07, 2019, 08:08:08 PM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on December 07, 2019, 04:14:21 PM
Quote from: o on December 07, 2019, 03:58:23 PM
IIRC, the "Slow Children at Play" sign was in the MUTCD but was removed years ago. Hasn't stopped many municipalities from putting them up though...
Some parents probably complained and misinterpreted it as an insult towards their own special, unique little shit machine.

I once knew a special ed teacher that wanted one for her classroom
Well, you are associated with a state DOT. You should get one made for her as some sort of good gesture.

It's not that easy. Trust me.
Those of you that are with a state DOT, how do you not collect more signage than you do currently? You guys are in a gold mine!
For the same reason that state DOT employees cannot buy surplus equipment from the agency.  If discovered, it could easily be perceived as 'insider dealing' by the public and the media, and the employee likely could face sanctions up to and including termination.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

US71

Quote from: roadman on December 10, 2019, 10:18:09 AM

For the same reason that state DOT employees cannot buy surplus equipment from the agency.  If discovered, it could easily be perceived as 'insider dealing' by the public and the media, and the employee likely could face sanctions up to and including termination.

Can a friend buy it for you, or is that bending the rules?

TheOneKEA

Are the original text-only WALK/DONT WALK signs used at crosswalks part of the MUTCD? They've almost completely disappeared from most crosswalks in the mid-Atlantic states.

Big John

Quote from: TheOneKEA on December 11, 2019, 08:22:56 PM
Are the original text-only WALK/DONT WALK signs used at crosswalks part of the MUTCD? They've almost completely disappeared from most crosswalks in the mid-Atlantic states.
First disallowed in 2000 i think. but existing ones can stay in place

hbelkins

Quote from: US71 on December 10, 2019, 10:48:57 AM

They probably could, but not all agencies sell old signs. Mine tends to re-sheet the signs if possible (i.e.; they aren't bent up or shot full of bullet holes). If not, they sell the metal as scrap.

There are some pretty strict rules on surplus/discarded equipment. I know of no rule that would prohibit a KYTC employee from buying surplus equipment at a public auction conducted by either sealed bit or open, competitive bidding, but there are rules about even taking home something that's been thrown in the garbage.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on December 12, 2019, 12:08:48 PM
Quote from: US71 on December 10, 2019, 10:48:57 AM

They probably could, but not all agencies sell old signs. Mine tends to re-sheet the signs if possible (i.e.; they aren't bent up or shot full of bullet holes). If not, they sell the metal as scrap.

There are some pretty strict rules on surplus/discarded equipment. I know of no rule that would prohibit a KYTC employee from buying surplus equipment at a public auction conducted by either sealed bit or open, competitive bidding, but there are rules about even taking home something that's been thrown in the garbage.

There's a shop near Mammoth Spring, AR that has a lot of old MODOT signs. I picked up an steel Secondary sign a few years back. I found a  place near Sarcoxie, MO that has a lot old LADOTD signs (and a few MODOT) and s#itloads of street signs.

roadfro

Quote from: US71 on December 09, 2019, 07:35:37 AM
May not have been a MUTCD regulation, but a lot of Arkansas warning signs once had a message on the back

"Walk on Left Facing Traffic"

Probably not often used, but this is still a standard sign (sign code R9-1) in the most recent MUTCD for optional use in cases where there may be pedestrians but no sidewalks (see Section 2B.50).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

hbelkins

Quote from: roadfro on December 14, 2019, 08:00:26 PM
May not have been a MUTCD regulation, but a lot of Arkansas warning signs once had a message on the back

Probably not often used, but this is still a standard sign (sign code R9-1) in the most recent MUTCD for optional use in cases where there may be pedestrians but no sidewalks (see Section 2B.50).

Kentucky had that for years. The ones I'm aware of disappeared in the 1970s.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ErmineNotyours

Woodenville, Washington:

Scott5114

Kind of overkill to have a pedestrian sign that's that large...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on December 15, 2019, 03:33:42 PM
Quote from: roadfro on December 14, 2019, 08:00:26 PM

Kentucky had that for years. The ones I'm aware of disappeared in the 1970s.

MoDOT did for a while

There's one (to my knowledge) left in Arkansas on an old section of US 71

kphoger

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on December 15, 2019, 07:54:38 PM

Woodenville, Washington:

If I were a driver there, what should I care about a sign warning me that pedestrians use the other side of the road?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.