Flower Mound, TX Switching Square Sign Posts To Slip Base

Started by Brian556, January 24, 2020, 12:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

I worked for the Town Of Flower Mound pretty soon after they started using square posts. I said that they weren't going to remain straight because they were just driven into the ground, and no cement was used. I thought they were a ridiculous idea. Fast forward 12 years later, and now they are going around replacing the ones that are leaning, using the slip-base system where you cement a stub into the ground. This is just like TxDOT's system, but the posts are square perforated tubing. Also, they were driving the 3-foot base sleeves into the ground without calling for a utility locate, which is illegal. I told them that, and they said no its ok. Soon after I quit I noticed that they started getting locates.

The boss there was the biggest jerk in history, so in my mind I'm saying "ha-ha, told you so!"

Now if the dipsticks would start using 36-inch stop signs where a single sign controls more than one lane it would be nice.

Any other jurisdictions giving up on square posts that are installed without cement?

cjk374

My part of Louisiana uses square tubing by driving a base directly in the ground. I have seen them being mounted on top of a concrete slab with a base bolted down to it, but they seem to fail with regularity.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jbnv

Quote from: cjk374 on January 28, 2020, 05:27:16 PM
My part of Louisiana uses square tubing by driving a base directly in the ground. I have seen them being mounted on top of a concrete slab with a base bolted down to it, but they seem to fail with regularity.

That's pretty much everywhere in Louisiana. We don't need no stinkin' quality control.  :rolleyes:
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

US71

Arkansas used U-shaped steel posts for many years, but have been converting to square posts. There's a stub mounted into a cement hole, then the sign post attached to the stub.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.