News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Double negatives - "No trucks no left turn"

Started by Mr. Matté, February 22, 2020, 06:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Matté

So not too long ago I had a quandary when it came time to designing traffic signage for a site I was working on. The project is for a warehouse and due to the street it's on, trucks exiting the site cannot make a left turn. I wanted to keep the signage simple without creating custom regulatory signage so I figure just use standard signs from the MUTCD. I've seen examples of signage on a single post like below but if literally read out, it would read "No trucks no left turn:"

While drivers would get the gist, there's always that one case where someone wants to challenge a ticket on the grammatical interpretation of a sign (see also the alleged "No Stoping" judgement). To combat that, I proposed using a "TRUCK" banner and the R3-2 sign:

At least this conveys "Trucks no left turn" though the banner is more intended for numbered truck routes. I've seen this configuration before as well and the project was approved with the signage as shown above. But since there's no specific mention of how to restrict turns by vehicle in the MUTCD, is there a standard way of configuring the signs?

sprjus4

NoGoodNamesAvailable

what about a text regulatory sign "NO LEFT TURN FOR TRUCKS"?

rickmastfan67

Here's a 'NO RIGHT TURN TRUCK' sign that I know of. https://goo.gl/maps/9L2Jof8GAhirkYz3A

Maybe put the 'TRUCK' banner below the 'NO LEFT TURN'?

berberry

Great topic! What if we add the appropriate logical operator into the mix? It would certainly make things unambiguous, from a purely logical standpoint, if we were to put a sign saying "OR" right in the middle. This should avoid the kind of court challenge mentioned upthread, because who wants to go before a judge and say "the word 'OR' confuses me"? Clearly, the signs would be saying "if you wish to do either one of these things, DON'T DO IT HERE!" But how many drivers would interpret it that way?

SectorZ

Brian556

Quote from: Mr. Matté on February 22, 2020, 06:31:11 PM
So not too long ago I had a quandary when it came time to designing traffic signage for a site I was working on. The project is for a warehouse and due to the street it's on, trucks exiting the site cannot make a left turn. I wanted to keep the signage simple without creating custom regulatory signage so I figure just use standard signs from the MUTCD. I've seen examples of signage on a single post like below but if literally read out, it would read "No trucks no left turn:"

While drivers would get the gist, there's always that one case where someone wants to challenge a ticket on the grammatical interpretation of a sign (see also the alleged "No Stoping" judgement). To combat that, I proposed using a "TRUCK" banner and the R3-2 sign:

At least this conveys "Trucks no left turn" though the banner is more intended for numbered truck routes. I've seen this configuration before as well and the project was approved with the signage as shown above. But since there's no specific mention of how to restrict turns by vehicle in the MUTCD, is there a standard way of configuring the signs?

I've seen the double negative one many times. Shows you how dumb the people responsible for signage really are.

Here's one that uses a WATCH FOR TRUCKS SYMBOL SIGN instead of the plaque. It is posted by TxDOT District 2, which has always sucked at signing:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.0261527,-97.4446064,3a,37.5y,254.92h,89.15t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sQpp9-hLrjuKTYz7ektBBbQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DQpp9-hLrjuKTYz7ektBBbQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D274.48703%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

djlynch

The other thing that I've seen is to combine the R5-2 "no trucks" symbol with an M5-1 or M6-1 arrow, essentially saying "no trucks to the left/right" instead of "no left/right turn for trucks." I think I personally prefer that to the turn prohibition and a truck banner because I've seen the combination (with the truck banner on the bottom) at the entrance to a shopping center and it left me confused momentarily as to whether it meant no turn for trucks or that the entrance was meant for trucks and nobody else should turn.

roadfro

I know of two similar instances of a turn restriction for trucks only.

N McCarran Blvd NB at Nichols Blvd in Sparks, NV (which is right next to a TA Travel Center). On the near side corner of the intersection, a custom sign is used: "TRUCKS" / (symbolic "no right turn") / "NO RIGHT TURN". A separate symbolic "No trucks" sign (with a rear-profile truck, which is not meant to be used in this context) is confusingly and unnecessarily posted beneath. On the far side corner of the intersection is a custom sign that is essentially just a symbolic "no right turn" with a "trucks" banner underneath.

The very next intersection, N McCarran Blvd NB at Lincoln Way also has a truck turn restriction. This one just has one sign on the far corner similar to the previous far side sign.

Quote from: djlynch on February 23, 2020, 02:00:47 PM
The other thing that I've seen is to combine the R5-2 "no trucks" symbol with an M5-1 or M6-1 arrow, essentially saying "no trucks to the left/right" instead of "no left/right turn for trucks." I think I personally prefer that to the turn prohibition and a truck banner because I've seen the combination (with the truck banner on the bottom) at the entrance to a shopping center and it left me confused momentarily as to whether it meant no turn for trucks or that the entrance was meant for trucks and nobody else should turn.

While I like the concept, this can also be misinterpreted as "no trucks allowed on the road to the right". In the examples I posted, the right turn prohibition for trucks is due to the turning radius of the NB right turn–SB left turning trucks and EB through trucks are still allowed.

I think the best option is the second figure Mr Matte posted: Truck placard above the turn restriction sign.

Perhaps the MUTCD should develop mode symbol banners that can be placed above regulatory signage to indicate that a sign's restrictions or instructions only apply to that mode.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

US71

There's a sign on the Cimarron Turnlike in Oklahoma that seems to say "NO 'NO U TURN'"
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: berberry on February 23, 2020, 06:13:11 AM
Great topic! What if we add the appropriate logical operator into the mix? It would certainly make things unambiguous, from a purely logical standpoint, if we were to put a sign saying "OR" right in the middle. This should avoid the kind of court challenge mentioned upthread, because who wants to go before a judge and say "the word 'OR' confuses me"? Clearly, the signs would be saying "if you wish to do either one of these things, DON'T DO IT HERE!" But how many drivers would interpret it that way?

I can't really think of a situation where this would be relevant, though. Like if a sign said, "No left turns, trucks or buses," I don't think you'd be able to get out of a ticket by claiming that you were driving a truck and a bus, and thus, that the sign didn't apply to you.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

jakeroot

Truck signs are usually white-on-black, right? How about this...

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: jakeroot on February 23, 2020, 06:01:21 PM

I can't help but think that this would be better, though.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

jakeroot

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 23, 2020, 06:16:41 PM

Sure. I was just trying to stick to the "black background for trucks" rule that is largely not followed, or perhaps not even a rule anymore.

ClassicHasClass

QuoteTo combat that, I proposed using a "TRUCK" banner and the R3-2 sign:

Caltrans thought so too (US 101 near Salinas):

https://goo.gl/maps/V6zFqCcf8FuebjHE9

US71

I've seen this somewhere

Dustin DeWinn

US71

roadfro

While either I think would convert the message, the second black on white version is what I was envisioning.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

D-Dey65

To me, the double negative that you're complaining about seems like it might be a different message than the truck banner above the No Left Turn sign. I've seen plenty of No Left Turn signs with truck banners and other banners as well. Case in point, this one on westbound FL 50 near a local biker bar;
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5374408,-82.4697301,3a,75y,218.38h,94.46t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snnHahlTvJUosqkNUBdlHgQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

The other one is just a no trucks sign and a no left turn sign at the same site.

Quote from: US71 on February 23, 2020, 07:21:26 PM

I've seen this somewhere
I have to say, I like Jakeroot's variation better.

kphoger

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 25, 2020, 03:42:14 PM

The other one is just a no trucks sign and a no left turn sign at the same site.

I agree.  If I saw that sign, I would interpret it thusly:

1.  No trucks beyond this point.
  2.  No left turn.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

I searched and can't find it (it's probably in Lynnfield or Wakefield MA), but I found this in Google Street View:

No turn on red
[picture of truck] excluded

Obviously meant to be two separate things, but that's not what it implies.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Henry

Quote from: roadfro on February 25, 2020, 02:07:19 AM

While either I think would convert the message, the second black on white version is what I was envisioning.
Personally, I prefer the second sign over the first, although either one would make the restriction a lot more clear. To have both NO TRUCKS and NO LEFT TURN symbols together is very confusing, because it is not known whether trucks are not allowed to turn left or altogether banned on the specific road.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.