News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 07, 2019, 01:45:44 PM
933 is hanging on by a thread. Its current routing after the South Bend construction is very weird and not signed well. 931 in St Joseph county is also supposed to be given over to local control (I swear I read this somewhere last yr). 931 in Kokomo I've read didn't turn over because Kokomo wanted a ton of money to Carmelize it (keystone parkway). 930 is just kind of there, indot likes to pretend it doesn't exist.

I don't think 931 or 933 are going away anytime soon as St. Joe County and South Bend have made it clear they do not want to take over the roads.  The routing of 933 may be confusing downtown since Michigan and Main got converted to 2-way streets.  Not sure whether INDOT consolidated the routing along Michigan or if southbound still runs along Main.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 07, 2019, 01:53:36 PM
933 is hanging on by a thread. Its current routing after the South Bend construction is very weird and not signed well. 931 in St Joseph county is also supposed to be given over to local control (I swear I read this somewhere last yr). 931 in Kokomo I've read didn't turn over because Kokomo wanted a ton of money to Carmelize it (keystone parkway). 930 is just kind of there, indot likes to pretend it doesn't exist.

I don't think 931 or 933 are going away anytime soon as St. Joe County and South Bend have made it clear they do not want to take over the roads.  The routing of 933 may be confusing downtown since Michigan and Main got converted to 2-way streets.  Not sure whether INDOT consolidated the routing along Michigan or if southbound still runs along Main.
I think 933 is on main alone now. 931 up there is now an island state road. It begins and ends at a county road. I agree, I don't see them going away any time soon. Is it true that those interchanges on 933 were supposed to be a part of a proposed freeway?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 07, 2019, 01:55:56 PM

I think 933 is on main alone now. 931 up there is now an island state road. It begins and ends at a county road. I agree, I don't see them going away any time soon. Is it true that those interchanges on 933 were supposed to be a part of a proposed freeway?

The Eddy/Sample interchange was the first part of a proposed inner loop.  I've seen conflicting information about whether or not the entire loop was ever expected to be freeway or just have a few interchanges.  At the NW corner, Martin Dr did get constructed to round off Chapin and Marion streets, but there's no evidence that it was designed to have an interchange at Lincoln Way.  The proposed bridge connecting Marion and Cedar streets, which would have completed the loop, never got built.  Not sure if the Sample/Chapin intersection was supposed to be an interchange but it looks like it could have been.

silverback1065

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 07, 2019, 02:03:59 PM

The Eddy/Sample interchange was the first part of a proposed inner loop.  I've seen conflicting information about whether or not the entire loop was ever expected to be freeway or just have a few interchanges.  At the NW corner, Martin Dr did get constructed to round off Chapin and Marion streets, but there's no evidence that it was designed to have an interchange at Lincoln Way.  The proposed bridge connecting Marion and Cedar streets, which would have completed the loop, never got built.  Not sure if the Sample/Chapin intersection was supposed to be an interchange but it looks like it could have been.
Do you or anyone else on here have any maps or stories about this? I'd like to learn more. Interesting that a city the size of South bend would warrant an inner loop.

edwaleni

Are you talking about the ramps off 931 (Lincolnway) to Eddy Street?

silverback1065

Quote from: edwaleni on October 07, 2019, 02:21:53 PM

Yes on either side of the river.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 07, 2019, 02:06:47 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on October 07, 2019, 02:03:59 PM

Do you or anyone else on here have any maps or stories about this? I'd like to learn more. Interesting that a city the size of South bend would warrant an inner loop.

There was a site that had more detailed information, but it has long since been taken down or I just can't find it.  Here is the reference I can find: http://www.roadfan.com/sbnelkrd.html  It's referenced in the entry for IN 23.

edwaleni

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 07, 2019, 02:22:43 PM

It was called the "Innerbelt" and it was killed after the tearing down of some large, historic mansions took place.

This caused a community uproar. I think the Kizer House was saved after the public outcry to stop.

silverback1065

Quote from: edwaleni on October 07, 2019, 02:38:14 PM

It was called the "Innerbelt" and it was killed after the tearing down of some large, historic mansions took place.

This caused a community uproar. I think the Kizer House was saved after the public outcry to stop.
A freeway revolt I support. SB is too small for an inner loop. FT Wayne had one proposed too but that got killed. Were there any maps of that?

edwaleni

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 07, 2019, 02:43:52 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on October 07, 2019, 02:38:14 PM

A freeway revolt I support. SB is too small for an inner loop. FT Wayne had one proposed too but that got killed. Were there any maps of that?

I was looking for some.

The Innerbelt was supposed to be bordered by Sample on the south, Chapin on the west, Martin/Marion on the north and Eddy on the east.

Basically it was to get US-31 and US-20 traffic around the city center.

US-20 on the west side is Lincolnway and on the east side McKinley (in those days)

US-31 split in 2 at Marion from the north and became Main and Michigan through downtown.

The idea as I understood it was to raise Sample at the Studebaker Plant (a source of high traffic back then) and route traffic around downtown or over the river to the east.

The Sample Street bridge (which is still standing) would get all backed up for traffic to/from Eddy & Mishawaka just before and after shift changes at Studebaker.

Great Lakes Roads

Speed cameras in construction zones COULD be coming to Indiana, according to lawmakers

https://fox59.com/2019/10/07/lawmakers-push-to-add-speeding-cameras-in-indiana-work-zones/

Revive 755

^ This in a state that likes to drop the speed limit for a work zone where there is nothing happening and the only evidence of the work zone is the signing  :banghead:

sprjus4

Quote from: Revive 755 on October 08, 2019, 05:23:23 PM
^ This in a state that likes to drop the speed limit for a work zone where there is nothing happening and the only evidence of the work zone is the signing  :banghead:
Speed Limit 70 mph -> Road Work Ahead -> Some cones placed on the shoulder = Speed Limit 45 mph.

Revive 755

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 08, 2019, 08:19:31 PM
Speed Limit 70 mph -> Road Work Ahead -> Some cones placed on the shoulder = Speed Limit 45 mph.

I recall one on SB I-65 this year that didn't even have the cones.

Life in Paradise

They also have those signs indicating the construction speed limit is in effect if the lights are flashing.  I would sometimes see a state police car parked in a "pursuit ready" position and the flashing lights are off and no workers there (usually would be a rainy day).  I asked an Indiana State Police friend of mine about the situation and he said that they had set times that they would have to be there to watch over even if no one was working or the lights were not on.  In the instance I was describing, the speed limit was not lowered, but he still had to be there.

tdindy88

Along with INDOT's usual weekend binge of construction I found yet another example of INDOT's fine planning in action. I noticed the ramps from northbound I-465 to both I-74 and Washington Street were closed on the southeast side. Any traffic that wanted to exit onto either exit had to use the Brookville Road exit and turn around from there. Why couldn't they have been working on those ramps when northbound I-465 was closed for two weeks?

I-65 on the south side from between Southport to I-465, which should have been repaved several years ago has been repaved at a glacial pace. Six lanes for a three-mile stretch, they started paving in May, they just got to the last lane last week and given INDOT it will probably be Thanksgiving when the lane markers are put in.

At least I-465 on the northeast side and I-69 from Exits 200 to 205 look good with the repaving.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on October 19, 2019, 10:41:02 PM
Along with INDOT's usual weekend binge of construction I found yet another example of INDOT's fine planning in action. I noticed the ramps from northbound I-465 to both I-74 and Washington Street were closed on the southeast side. Any traffic that wanted to exit onto either exit had to use the Brookville Road exit and turn around from there. Why couldn't they have been working on those ramps when northbound I-465 was closed for two weeks?

I-65 on the south side from between Southport to I-465, which should have been repaved several years ago has been repaved at a glacial pace. Six lanes for a three-mile stretch, they started paving in May, they just got to the last lane last week and given INDOT it will probably be Thanksgiving when the lane markers are put in.

At least I-465 on the northeast side and I-69 from Exits 200 to 205 look good with the repaving.
Indot should win a medal for shitty planning. It will only get worse I'm afraid.

nwi_navigator_1181

Winding up construction season in Northwest Indiana...

Traffic on I-65 southbound in Crown Point is set to be moved back to the original lanes this week, which will also allow the southbound entrance and exit ramps at 109th Avenue to reopen as well. Also opening in that area this week is the 101st Avenue overpass, which includes a new structure designed to handle four lanes of traffic, versus the two lanes from the original bridge.

Also winding down further north along I-65 is the CSX/Central Avenue bridge project. Southbound traffic has all lanes open, which allows access to I-65 from all entry points (US 12/20, the Toll Road, and 15th Avenue). Some lane closures may take place for final overhead sign reinstallation. Northbound traffic still has a lane closed as crews finish median and guardrail work; the ramp from I-80/94 west to I-65 north is still closed until all work is completed enough to open both lanes. Just south of that bridge, crews recently completed bridge deck overlay work on the mainline and auxiliary ramps within the Borman interchange. The new surface is more coarse than standard concrete to allow for better traction during the winter months. This same work is currently finishing up on some parts of I-94 near Chesterton.

In Laporte County, the US 35/SR 39 bridge in Downtown Laporte is winding down, as crews are finishing up concrete guardrail pouring and fencing installation (for both decorative and safety reasons, since the bridge spans over a high traffic railroad). The bridge beams will be painted orange to match the city's high school team colors (go Slicers!).

INDOT says the dog bone interchange project for Indiana 2 and US 20 is still slated for completion by mid- to late November.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

jhuntin1

Quote from: tdindy88 on October 19, 2019, 10:41:02 PM

Despite saying that they would reopen Monday at 6 AM, work on I-65 on the south side was completed prior to 8 AM this (Sunday) morning. The ramps on I-465 were all open except Shadeland Ave., which suggested the US 52 detour. The closures have been a pain, but INDOT (or their contractors) do seem to be moving well.

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/improvements-on-the-way-for-i-65-in-boone-county

Improvements are coming to a busy area in Boone County on I-65. INDOT was going to pay the whole thing ($50 million) for this project, BUT the USDOT awarded $16 million for this project. INDOT will now pay $34 million for this project, alongside with the USDOT's commitment of $16 million.

It calls for the following improvements:
1. A new interchange at CR 550 South (a DDI to be exact)
2. Interchange improvement at SR 267 (another DDI)
3. Reconfigure the split in the SB direction (an added lane on I-65 heading southbound, incoming APL signage)

Construction will start next year and finish in 2021.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on November 08, 2019, 11:01:04 PM
https://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/improvements-on-the-way-for-i-65-in-boone-county

Improvements are coming to a busy area in Boone County on I-65.

Here is the web site with project details.

https://www.in.gov/indot/3729.htm

Also, it's not 500 S, but 550 S where the new interchange will be located. I think it's weird though that an interchange is going there since it leads to a residential area right to the east. The plans show barricades there, though, to block off the street, but if that's what they're doing, why bother?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Finrod

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on November 09, 2019, 03:49:58 PM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on November 08, 2019, 11:01:04 PM

Improvements are coming to a busy area in Boone County on I-65.

Here is the web site with project details.

https://www.in.gov/indot/3729.htm

Also, it's not 500 S, but 550 S where the new interchange will be located. I think it's weird though that an interchange is going there since it leads to a residential area right to the east. The plans show barricades there, though, to block off the street, but if that's what they're doing, why bother?

Maybe it's more for the industrial area to the west?
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

sprjus4

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on November 09, 2019, 03:49:58 PM
The plans show barricades there, though, to block off the street, but if that's what they're doing, why bother?
It's likely to improve access to the major industrial area to the west. This proposed interchange, along with the modification & Albert White Dr realignment at the 400 E interchange, all seem to have a trend of improving access to the industrial areas on either side of I-65.

As for the proposed stub and barricades on the new interchange, I don't know where they plan to eventually extend that. My guess would be creating a new road to meet up with the stub on New Hope Blvd. That road looks more equipped to handle more traffic, though not a major load (it's still only 2-lanes) than Meadowview Dr is.

tdindy88

That current SR 267 interchange will get very busy over the next two months with the massive Amazon warehouse so any bit of help with access on some of the other roads will likely be of help to the people in that area.

I for one am interested in hearing about southbound I-65 being six lanes at the spit with I-865. Is this a prelude to a potential six-laning of I-65 between I-865 and I-465. With all the talk about making I-65 six lanes across the state we forget that there's still several miles that are only four lanes within Marion County itself.

ilpt4u

Anyone got the AADT numbers for how much traffic heads towards Carmel/I-465 North Side vs heading toward Downtown and the Airport/Speedway/I-465 West Side?

If the Split is relatively equal, is 6 Lane Freeway needed between 865 and 465 West Side?

Obviously if there is a clear heavier traffic flow continuing on I-65 heading Downtown or to I-465 West Side, 6 Laning expansion will be needed, eventually

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.