Culver’s is Coming Soon to our Area!

Started by kevinb1994, March 02, 2019, 04:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: txstateends on March 06, 2019, 03:51:15 PM
The Whataburger by you has breakfast all the time?  All the ones in north TX don't.  You can get the non-breakfast stuff all the time, but not the taquitos/sausage biscuits/etc.  I do like the ones where you can go into during late hours, instead of just drive-thru. 

I'm not sure, as I don't eat fast food breakfast. Whataburger was a godsend when I worked graveyard shift and wanted something on the way home at 8:00 AM. After a nine-hour shift, you don't want sausage biscuits or pancakes.

You can go inside 24 hours at this Whataburger. I usually do so, gambling that it will be faster. It usually isn't.

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 06, 2019, 05:33:31 PM
Quote from: MantyMadTown on March 06, 2019, 05:22:53 PM
There's really only one Whataburger in your city? They really ought to open more given how busy yours is.
If he's talking about the Norman, OK location there is one about 8 miles away from that location in Moore.

Moore isn't my city, though. I used to occasionally drive to the one in Moore before the Norman one was opened, as a special treat, but there are much closer cheeseburgers in Norman.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Quote from: wriddle082 on March 06, 2019, 07:58:52 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on March 06, 2019, 07:08:44 AM
Quote from: renegade on March 06, 2019, 01:22:16 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on March 05, 2019, 10:06:54 PM
To sum it up it's just like way better than Taco Bell.
FTFY
I don't agree with that. Both Del Taco and Taco Bell suck.

Taco Bell is ok.  Not enough experience with Del Taco (Columbia, SC does have one), but they were ok.

Speaking of taco places, Taco Tico is making a comeback. Read something earlier in the week about them opening some locations in Lexington.

The one at Morehead was a very popular place when I was in college.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Flint1979

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 07, 2019, 02:51:20 AM
Quote from: txstateends on March 06, 2019, 03:51:15 PM
The Whataburger by you has breakfast all the time?  All the ones in north TX don't.  You can get the non-breakfast stuff all the time, but not the taquitos/sausage biscuits/etc.  I do like the ones where you can go into during late hours, instead of just drive-thru. 

I'm not sure, as I don't eat fast food breakfast. Whataburger was a godsend when I worked graveyard shift and wanted something on the way home at 8:00 AM. After a nine-hour shift, you don't want sausage biscuits or pancakes.

You can go inside 24 hours at this Whataburger. I usually do so, gambling that it will be faster. It usually isn't.

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 06, 2019, 05:33:31 PM
Quote from: MantyMadTown on March 06, 2019, 05:22:53 PM
There's really only one Whataburger in your city? They really ought to open more given how busy yours is.
If he's talking about the Norman, OK location there is one about 8 miles away from that location in Moore.

Moore isn't my city, though. I used to occasionally drive to the one in Moore before the Norman one was opened, as a special treat, but there are much closer cheeseburgers in Norman.
I realize that but I'm just saying there is a location in the next town over as well. Looking at the OKC area it doesn't look like they have very many locations going to the south.

webny99

Culver's is great, and pretty reasonably priced too. Most recently I've been to the one in Mauston, WI on a trip out to Minnesota. It's kind of a Midwestern specialty, so I don't care if they ever make it to NY -- enjoying it when I'm out west is enough for me.

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 07, 2019, 02:51:20 AM
I'm not sure, as I don't eat fast food breakfast.

This is going to sound really weird, but IMO there are actually only two places that have good fast food breakfasts: Chick-Fil-A and Taco Bell.

I can't do breakfast from fast-food burger joints like BK or McD, but for some reason I really like Crunchwraps and Burrito Scrambles!

abefroman329

McDonalds is still my favorite fast food breakfast. I tried the breakfast at Taco Bell once and wish I hadn't.

hbelkins

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 09, 2019, 02:59:17 PM
McDonalds is still my favorite fast food breakfast. I tried the breakfast at Taco Bell once and wish I hadn't.

$1 Sausage McMuffins FTW!

I still get aggravated when I come across a McDonald's that sells hash browns for $1 each instead of 2/$1.

If I wasn't usually running late every morning going to work, and if the drive-thru line wasn't always so long, and money wasn't tight, I'd probably get McDonald's breakfast every morning.

The Wendy's in the town where I work doesn't have the breakfast menu, so I've never tried their morning offerings. I'm a fan of Hardee's biscuits, especially the steak biscuits, but Hardee's has gotten pricey, and the drive-thru times are usually pretty long.

True story -- the local Hardee's used to occasionally bring their leftover breakfast biscuits and other foods to our office to give away after breakfast hours ended. We were just down the road from them, and it was probably done as a thank-you to our folks for their road maintenance efforts (even though we're the administrative office and not the maintenance garage.) I had many a free lunch when they did that. Unfortunately, they quit doing that about 18 months or so ago.

nexus73

Quote from: hbelkins on March 09, 2019, 04:12:36 PM
McDonalds is still my favorite fast food breakfast. I tried the breakfast at Taco Bell once and wish I hadn’t.

I still get aggravated when I come across a McDonald's that sells hash browns for $1 each instead of 2/$1.

If I wasn't usually running late every morning going to work, and if the drive-thru line wasn't always so long, and money wasn't tight, I'd probably get McDonald's breakfast every morning.

The Wendy's in the town where I work doesn't have the breakfast menu, so I've never tried their morning offerings. I'm a fan of Hardee's biscuits, especially the steak biscuits, but Hardee's has gotten pricey, and the drive-thru times are usually pretty long.

True story -- the local Hardee's used to occasionally bring their leftover breakfast biscuits and other foods to our office to give away after breakfast hours ended. We were just down the road from them, and it was probably done as a thank-you to our folks for their road maintenance efforts (even though we're the administrative office and not the maintenance garage.) I had many a free lunch when they did that. Unfortunately, they quit doing that about 18 months or so ago.

At least you were treated better than Robert Redford treated the UDOT people.  Back when US 189 Provo Canyon was getting the freeway/expressway treatment, he would not let them park their gear on his huge parking lot at the ski resort he owned, which was called Sundance.  This came despite UDOT always doing him a solid by making sure that US 189 was open in the winter and also plowing out his parking lot so the skiers who went there had a place to park.

Glad you enjoyed the biscuits while they were around.  I used to buy KFC's biscuits from the Provo KFC in a box with half a dozen at a time since they were so good, then eat them up as a dessert with melted margarine and raspberry jam.  Delicious they most certainly were!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Flint1979

I like McDonald's for breakfast fast food as well. Thanks for the heads up on Taco Bell, I generally don't like them anyway so their breakfast menu has never been on my bucket list.

Flint1979

Very few Wendy's that I've come across serve breakfast. The one's that do generally seem to be inside a truck stop (Flying J or Pilot usually) or an airport food court. There are 4 Wendy's in my town and 1 of them serves breakfast and it's inside a Flying J.

nexus73

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 09, 2019, 05:53:52 PM
McDonalds is still my favorite fast food breakfast. I tried the breakfast at Taco Bell once and wish I hadn’t.
I like McDonald's for breakfast fast food as well. Thanks for the heads up on Taco Bell, I generally don't like them anyway so their breakfast menu has never been on my bucket list.

McD's pancakes and a carton of milk are always a fave cheap eat of mine when on da' road alone.  If I am feeling the need, okay, I'll toss in a hashbrown too...

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Flint1979

Quote from: nexus73 on March 09, 2019, 06:00:11 PM

McD's pancakes and a carton of milk are always a fave cheap eat of mine when on da' road alone.  If I am feeling the need, okay, I'll toss in a hashbrown too...

Rick
One time about 5-6 years ago I was on my way to Chicago and left Saginaw at about 3:30-4:00am and was approaching the Lansing area and decided to take a shortcut (on distance, not time) through Lansing. I come upon this McDonald's and it's open and I'm thinking well I'll just get a sausage egg mcmuffin meal and be on my way. I order the food and get it and start driving away and notice my sandwich is burnt, the muffin was hard as a brick, the egg was overcooked and I'm pretty sure something was wrong with the sausage too. I went and knocked on the drive thru window and showed them the sandwich. Luckily I got a new one and they gave me a second one for free so that was pretty cool but man lol.

abefroman329

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 09, 2019, 05:55:41 PM

Very few Wendy's that I've come across serve breakfast. The one's that do generally seem to be inside a truck stop (Flying J or Pilot usually) or an airport food court. There are 4 Wendy's in my town and 1 of them serves breakfast and it's inside a Flying J.
Wendy's is perpetually "piloting"  breakfast and then stopping the pilot. The Wendy's on Touhy near the new Walmart in Skokie was doing a healthier, more upscale one a few years ago and then quietly stopped. There was also a period in the mid-2000s where Wendy's was selling fried chicken and it was surprisingly delicious.

Hardee's is my favorite of all fast food breakfasts, but there isn't one nearby - I think the closest one is actually in Indiana. The only thing that made driving across Ohio on the Turnpike bearable was the numerous Hardee's locations at the service plazas, not sure if that's the case now, though

abefroman329

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 09, 2019, 06:06:07 PM
Quote from: nexus73 on March 09, 2019, 06:00:11 PM

Rick
One time about 5-6 years ago I was on my way to Chicago and left Saginaw at about 3:30-4:00am and was approaching the Lansing area and decided to take a shortcut (on distance, not time) through Lansing. I come upon this McDonald's and it's open and I'm thinking well I'll just get a sausage egg mcmuffin meal and be on my way. I order the food and get it and start driving away and notice my sandwich is burnt, the muffin was hard as a brick, the egg was overcooked and I'm pretty sure something was wrong with the sausage too. I went and knocked on the drive thru window and showed them the sandwich. Luckily I got a new one and they gave me a second one for free so that was pretty cool but man lol.
That's basically every experience I've had with breakfast at Burger King, which is why I don't get breakfast there.

Takumi

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 10, 2019, 09:37:04 AM
Wendy's is perpetually "piloting"  breakfast and then stopping the pilot. The Wendy's on Touhy near the new Walmart in Skokie was doing a healthier, more upscale one a few years ago and then quietly stopped. There was also a period in the mid-2000s where Wendy's was selling fried chicken and it was surprisingly delicious.
I remember seeing a Wendy's in Maryland advertising fried chicken around that time, but none of the ones around here had it. I remember wanting to try it, but for whatever reason I didn't.

Related, there was a prototype McDonalds nearby that was in the style of a 50s diner (very similar to a modern Denny's), that also served personal pizzas. I tried one there once, and the only thing about it I remember is that the crust was very burned.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Flint1979

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 09, 2019, 05:55:41 PM

Hardee's is my favorite of all fast food breakfasts, but there isn't one nearby - I think the closest one is actually in Indiana. The only thing that made driving across Ohio on the Turnpike bearable was the numerous Hardee's locations at the service plazas, not sure if that's the case now, though
We'll be getting a new Hardee's in my area once the Love's truck stop opens. I'd say they have about another 6-8 weeks before it'll be open. Love's is building a new truck stop at exit 144 on I-75.

As far as Wendy's goes they have never made a big attempt at breakfast and the people I talk to say it's just a tough sell. Well it's not a Wendy's requirement to serve breakfast and I know a District Manager for Wendy's that I talk to quite often and she'll tell me things about Wendy's.

I haven't been on the Ohio Turnpike in probably over 10 years so I'm not sure anymore what the service plaza's have either. If I have to travel east and west across northern Ohio I usually will use SR-2, US-6, US-20 or US-30.

TheHighwayMan3561

The only two Wendy's that I know with breakfast are in Wisconsin, one in Mauston and the other in Janesville. I think their chicken biscuit is adequate but not spectacular.

I have never liked breakfast food and having lunch available to me is part of why I get later starts on my driving day than most people. Sonic, and Taco Bell (after 9 AM) have lunch available early at least.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

I just eat the free breakfast at my hotel.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

abefroman329

Quote from: Takumi on March 10, 2019, 10:11:14 AM
I remember seeing a Wendy's in Maryland advertising fried chicken around that time, but none of the ones around here had it. I remember wanting to try it, but for whatever reason I didn't.

Related, there was a prototype McDonalds nearby that was in the style of a 50s diner (very similar to a modern Denny's), that also served personal pizzas. I tried one there once, and the only thing about it I remember is that the crust was very burned.
The one in DC on K St NW between Connecticut and 18th had fried chicken.

abefroman329

Quote from: Rothman on March 10, 2019, 12:33:47 PM
Sometimes it's inedible. I ate the breakfast at a Days Inn we stayed at that was close to the hospital where my wife gave birth (she was scheduled to be induced at 1 am, and for some reason, it made sense to stay nearby at the time) and complained online about how disgusting it was. The manager responded by telling me what items they served for breakfast.

abefroman329

I just remembered that the old Greyhound station in DC had a Hardee's. I ate there once and didn't die, which would have served me right for eating at a Hardee's in a Greyhound station.

Rothman

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 10, 2019, 12:42:52 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 10, 2019, 12:33:47 PM
Sometimes it's inedible. I ate the breakfast at a Days Inn we stayed at that was close to the hospital where my wife gave birth (she was scheduled to be induced at 1 am, and for some reason, it made sense to stay nearby at the time) and complained online about how disgusting it was. The manager responded by telling me what items they served for breakfast.
Heh.  I haven't found one that has been totally inedible.  Dry pastries or cold eggs, perhaps, but enough to get me through.  Rather get going straight from the hotel than find somewhere for breakfast.

When I was a kid, though, hot cakes at McDonald's were the best, complete with the styrofoam packaging.  Come to think of it, I've snagged a Sausage McMuffin in the past when having an early morning flight.  Been years since I have had a McD's breakfast, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

I typically don't eat breakfast unless I'm traveling, and if the place I'm staying only has a continental breakfast (no meats), I'll hit a McDonald's drive-thru if I'm still hungry after having a couple of doughnuts or muffins.

As for work trips, we have a policy that you don't get a per-diem for breakfast if the hotel has a hot breakfast. That's one reason I usually stay at the Days Inn in Frankfort instead of the Hampton or HI Express. That's $8 in my pocket that I'd lose if I stayed at one of those places. The Frankfort Days Inn continental breakfast is not much, but I can get a couple of sausage biscuits at the cafeteria at the main office and still come out $4 to the good.

Buck87

The only pair of Ohio Turnpike plazas that have Hardees now are the ones at milepost 76.9 just east of Toledo.

I do remember when Hardees was the mainstay of the old service plazas, but that is no longer the case with the new ones.

renegade

Would someone please wake me up when they open a Skyline or a Goldstar Chili in my area?

I would love to have one or both of them nearby.        :clap:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Flint1979

Is Hardee's good or bad? I'll take everyone's word for it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.