News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Roads on Discord!

Started by MCRoads, January 11, 2018, 05:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on May 15, 2023, 04:45:12 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 14, 2023, 07:54:08 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 14, 2023, 07:42:45 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 13, 2023, 07:22:07 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 13, 2023, 07:10:09 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 12, 2023, 01:50:14 PM
I'm going to go ahead and join RoadwayWiz's server, but I'll stay on the other one I'm already in. Our community just isn't large enough to actively support multiple Discord servers, unless the unique servers serve a specific purpose that can't be filled by the main one.

Why isn't it large enough? Back in the Yahoo Groups days, we had a number of regional groups. And there are a lot of regional Facebook groups as well.

Many of the smaller regional Facebook are presently going through the process of internal implosion.  Even before the current happenings most of the state specific (California is a large exception to this) or regional groups were losing members to catch all groups.  The catch all and highway specific groups are really what has begun to boom in Facebook realm.

What's the story behind that? I saw something about two group admins getting into a spat where one dropped the other as a friend, and then as a result the dropped one kicked a bunch of their mutuals out of several grooups.

Apparently it has something to do with an argument that started on a retail group page.  The argument resulted in one party deleting/blocking numerous people and pages from several groups he co-admins.  Said person also has deleted numerous groups he had full admin control over.   The fall out is bizarre to watch as someone who has no affiliation with any party involved.

I don't know the parties, nor am I aware of the groups involved.

Most southeast regionally centric, especially pertaining to Georgia.

Scott5114

Facebook groups seem like the worst of both worlds, since you combine the possibility of individual, unaccountable admins abusing their power with the arbitrary and capricious nature of automated Facebook enforcement.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 16, 2023, 04:00:09 AM
Facebook groups seem like the worst of both worlds, since you combine the possibility of individual, unaccountable admins abusing their power with the arbitrary and capricious nature of automated Facebook enforcement.
And yet, Facebook Groups somehow killed a lot of standalone forums out on the Internet.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.