Most letters in the combined name of a city or town (city name + state name)

Started by KCRoadFan, October 21, 2020, 10:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

So, for whatever reason, I found myself thinking about the Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia - which, in turn, made me think of this question. I figured that the full, combined name of the town - the town name along with that of the state - has to be one of the longest such names in the country (if not the longest). As it stands, the name of that town comes in at 31 letters (as does that of nearby Green Sulphur Springs).

What other candidates for longest "town name plus the name of the state it's in" combinations might there be? Of course, the prime contenders for this prize are bound to be in the states that have the longest names - think Pennsylvania (12 letters), Massachusetts (13), Connecticut (11), Rhode Island (11), the two Carolinas (13), the two Dakotas (11), Mississippi (11), and Washington (10) - as well as, of course, the aforementioned West Virginia (12).

Which ones can you think of?

Flint1979

Might not be a city or town but I nominate Lake Chaubunagungamaug, Massachusetts.

bassoon1986

A couple that came to mind:

Truth or Consequences, New Mexico (28)
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina (29)

iPhone

webny99

PA has plenty, especially in the 24-28 letter range, although these may end up being lower than the top contenders. You've got Elizabethtown, Northumberland, King of Prussia, Plymouth Meeting, etc. (and the area north of Philly is loaded with some unique ones, like Sassamansville, Plumsteadville, and Seisholtzville).

Schuylkill Haven is 17 for 29 total, which is the longest I can immediately find.
If you wanted to cheat (?) and use something like Upper Makefield Township, that would get to 34.

KCRoadFan

North Carolina has 13 letters in the state name. As for towns in NC, Wrightsville Beach makes for 30 combined letters total.

Other contenders from NC:

Rutherfordton (26 combined letters)
Hendersonville (27)
Kill Devil Hills (27)
Black Mountain, as well as Kings Mountain (both 26)
Elizabeth City (26)
Southern Pines (26)
Patterson Springs (29)
Boiling Springs (27)
Roanoke Rapids (26)
Carolina Beach (26)

GenExpwy

East Providence, Rhode Island and Providence Plantations (49)  :bigass:

Bruce

WA's longest seems to be Bainbridge Island (16 letters), so 26 combined letters.

1995hoo

Krungthepmahanakhon Amonrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Noppharatratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwetmahasathan Amonphimanawatansathit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit, Thailand.

(That city name is Bangkok's full legal name.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: KCRoadFan on October 21, 2020, 10:51:44 PM
I ... figured that the full, combined name of the town - the town name along with that of the state - has to be one of the longest such names in the country (if not the longest) ... What other candidates for longest "town name plus the name of the state it's in" combinations might there be?

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 22, 2020, 07:40:15 AM
Krungthepmahanakhon Amonrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Noppharatratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwetmahasathan Amonphimanawatansathit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit, Thailand.

I think the OP implied that this should be restricted to the USA.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on October 22, 2020, 11:26:53 AM
I ... figured that the full, combined name of the town - the town name along with that of the state - has to be one of the longest such names in the country (if not the longest) ... What other candidates for longest "town name plus the name of the state it's in" combinations might there be?

I saw that and I chose to ignore it, much as one of our posters from abroad usually ignores that sort of thing. I also figured the OP likely did that out of habit and wasn't necessarily actively focused on it being US-centric.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 22, 2020, 11:35:20 AM

I saw that and I chose to ignore it, much as one of our posters from abroad usually ignores that sort of thing. I also figured the OP likely did that out of habit and wasn't necessarily actively focused on it being US-centric.

I was meaning for it to be focused on the US.

US 89

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

But in seriousness, the longest place name I can think of in Utah is Marriott-Slaterville, Utah (23 total letters, with more when accounting for punctuation characters).

CoreySamson

For Arkansas I thought Helena-West Helena (16 letters) plus 8 in Arkansas is 22. (This may be skirting the rules a bit, though)

Texas's could be Bolivar Peninsula which is 21 including the letters of Texas.

Louisiana's probably is West Pointe A La Hache, at 18 letters. Combined with Louisiana, this is 27 letters long (It might have the most words though, at 6!).
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

1995hoo

Supposedly, the historical full name of the City of Los Angeles was El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora La Reina de Los Angeles de Porciuncula, although there is some dispute about whether it was actually something shorter. I seem to recall seeing that name in the Guinness Book of World Records in connection with the abbreviation that most reduces something (because "LA" is such a small percentage of the total name). I don't know enough history to know whether that full name was still in effect when California became a state, but if it were, it might be a contender. I believe the full legal name is now simply the City of Los Angeles.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: KCRoadFan on October 22, 2020, 01:01:25 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 22, 2020, 11:35:20 AM

I was meaning for it to be focused on the US.

Too bad, I was about to submit Colinas del Campo de Martin Moro Toledano, Castilla y Leon :bigass:, even though in Spain when locating a populated place we go by province (province of Leon in that case) instead of community, and besides when writing in English I render the name of that community as Castile and Leon.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

STLmapboy

One of the highest I can find in my state is Bellefontaine Neighbors, Missouri (30 total).
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

PurdueBill

Ohio is severely disadvantaged in this with its short name, but Washington Court House, Ohio with 24 letters doesn't do too badly all things considered.  A number of the "Heights" cities (University Heights, Grandview Heights, etc.) aren't bad but don't come close enough.

webny99

Quote from: PurdueBill on October 23, 2020, 10:22:33 PM
Ohio is severely disadvantaged in this with its short name, but Washington Court House, Ohio with 24 letters doesn't do too badly all things considered.

Hey, that's a good one. It might even be better than anything NY has to offer despite New York having three more letters than Ohio.
The best I can find here is Westhampton Beach, which comes oh-so-close at 23 total letters. Saratoga Springs, a better-known candidate, comes in close behind at 22.

allniter89

Quote from: KCRoadFan on October 21, 2020, 11:49:04 PM
North Carolina has 13 letters in the state name. As for towns in NC, Wrightsville Beach makes for 30 combined letters total.

Other contenders from NC:

Rutherfordton (26 combined letters)
Hendersonville (27)
Kill Devil Hills (27)
Black Mountain, as well as Kings Mountain (both 26)
Elizabeth City (26)
Southern Pines (26)
Patterson Springs (29)
Boiling Springs (27)
Roanoke Rapids (26)
Carolina Beach (26)
Fayetteville (25)
Winston Salem (24)
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

gonealookin

I'd say the best Nevada can do for a place I'd call a "town" is 20 letters:  Battle Mountain and Incline Village.

There are a few listings on the roll of "Census-Designated Places" that have more letters but they aren't separate towns.  "Gardnerville Ranchos", for example, has over 11,000 residents, but it's part of Gardnerville.  My own CDP is "Round Hill Village" but there's no way we can be called a "town"; we're a bunch of houses with one strip mall anchored by a Safeway.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: STLmapboy on October 22, 2020, 02:30:31 PM
One of the highest I can find in my state is Bellefontaine Neighbors, Missouri (30 total).

That's one I hadn't even thought about. Anyway, on my side of Missouri, Excelsior Springs comes in at 24 letters total.

In addition, Village of Four Seasons (by the Lake) has 28.

Some others from Missouri:

Burlington Junction - 26 total letters
Conception Junction - 26
Umber View Heights - 24
El Dorado Springs - 23
Maryland Heights - 23
North Kansas City - 23
Portage Des Sioux - 23
Sainte Genevieve - 23
Kimberling City - 22
Montgomery City - 22
Cape Girardeau - 21
Fredericktown - 21
Highlandville - 21

Not a bad bunch there, especially considering that Missouri's name has only 8 letters.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

DandyDan

Iowa has the same curse that Ohio has in only being 4 letters long. That said, the title goes to Maharishi Vedic City, Iowa, at 22 letters long. California Junction, Iowa and Maple River Junction, Iowa, both appear on the Iowa state map, but are both unincorporated. Prior to 2001, when Maharishi Vedic City incorporated, that title would have been held by University Heights, Iowa, at 21 letters long.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

michravera

So, for whatever reason, I found myself thinking about the Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia - which, in turn, made me think of this question. I figured that the full, combined name of the town - the town name along with that of the state - has to be one of the longest such names in the country (if not the longest). As it stands, the name of that town comes in at 31 letters (as does that of nearby Green Sulphur Springs).

What other candidates for longest "town name plus the name of the state it's in" combinations might there be? Of course, the prime contenders for this prize are bound to be in the states that have the longest names - think Pennsylvania (12 letters), Massachusetts (13), Connecticut (11), Rhode Island (11), the two Carolinas (13), the two Dakotas (11), Mississippi (11), and Washington (10) - as well as, of course, the aforementioned West Virginia (12).

Which ones can you think of?

From California (not including spaces)
Skipping the official names of Los Angeles (named elsewhere) and Rancho Palos Verdes Estates (which I am told doesn't exist) which would be 34 letters.

Julia Pfeifer-Burns 27 + a hyphen
Fort Hunter-Liggett 27 + a hyphen
Rancho Cucamonga 26
Rancho Palos Verdes 26
Palos Verdes Estates 26
Hallelujah Junction 26
San Buenaventura 25
Desert Hot Springs 25
Huntington Beach 25
Coalinga Junction 24
Lake Nacimiento 24
Hacienda Heights 24
Manhattan Beach 24
Rough and Ready 24
Carmel-by-the-sea 24+3hyphens
San Bernardino 23

I'm sure that I will come up with a 30-letter name as soon as I press {Post}

DandyDan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 24, 2020, 12:48:12 AM
My guess for Minnesota is International Falls, at 27 letters.
My first instinct was Inver Grove Heights, but that is one less letter. Lake Saint Croix Beach, Minnesota appears to be the champion, at 28 letters. I do question whether it should be, because Saint is always abbreviated St.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.