Am I the only person on the forum that enjoys modern pop/rap/country music?

Started by Roadgeekteen, April 03, 2023, 03:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

It seems like nobody else on the forum enjoys listening to artists like Taylor Swift. On the thread about the song you listening to thread, most of the music on there is at least 20-30 years old and I've never heard of half of those artists. Also seeing some of this pop up in the radio threads about how radio music is so much worse nowadays. I find the actual music the radio plays to be fine, it's just the commercials that are the problem.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

1995hoo

YouTube suggested this and it's actually pretty damn good, though I am amused to note which of them took the line "me and my baby in a 69."

https://youtu.be/lppIIMnvQtE
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 03, 2023, 03:17:39 PMIt seems like nobody else on the forum enjoys listening to artists like Taylor Swift. On the thread about the song you listening to thread, most of the music on there is at least 20-30 years old and I've never heard of half of those artists. Also seeing some of this pop up in the radio threads about how radio music is so much worse nowadays. I find the actual music the radio plays to be fine, it's just the commercials that are the problem.

Forum search results for {"Taylor Swift"}:  two pages (including a link to a post by Jeffandnicole saying "Taylor Swift rules!").

Forum search results for {"fork sign"} (road-related):  just one page.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

intelati49

It's literally just different for me. I have a bit of a contrarian streak in me, so I typically try to wrap back around and hit the "popular" artists once the hype and hub die down a bit.

Take Stefani Germanotta for example. Her songs are generally not my cup of tea. She does have some bangers though. Weird fashion sense too, but whatever.

7/8

I like Taylor Swift too, she made it as my #5 Spotify artist last year. My favourite albums by her are Fearless, 1989, Folklore, and Evermore.

I still think of the 2000's as "modern music" (maybe because I listened to so much 70's and 80's music growing up), but if I use a definition of 2010's/2020's for modern, here are some artists I like, sorted by genre:
- Bedroom Pop: Jay Som
- Dream Pop: Atmos Bloom, Beach Fossils, Beach House, Castlebeat, Day Wave, Fazerdaze, Hazel English, Lunar Isles, No Vacation, Real Estate, Ruby Haunt, Swimming Tapes, Turnover, Wild Nothing
- Indie Rock: Arcade Fire, Boy Pablo, Death Cab for Cutie, Goth Babe, Kings of Leon, Mac DeMarco, The National, Of Monsters and Men, Softer Still
- Chillwave (not 100% sure, there's no Wikipedia article for these): Attom, EMBRZ
- Deep House: Lane 8, Ocula, Sultan and Shepard
- Electropop/house: Madeon, Porter Robinson
- Folk: Gregory Alan Isakov
- Lofi: Nom Tunes, Pr4ntik, Project AER, Refeeld, Tophat Panda, Yoann Garel
- Psychedelic Pop/Rock: Tame Impala
- Shoegaze: DIIV, Slowdive, Whirr
- Synthwave: Com Truise
- Tropical House: Kygo

I'll say since graduating University 5 years ago, my music tastes have shifted a lot from the mostly 70's and 80's pop/rock and prog rock that I used to listen to to a lot more modern music (especially dream pop). I still like those older songs, but I don't listen to them as much. Spotify has been great for finding lots of smaller artists that I never would've found otherwise, and for about $15 a month for our entire family, it's an amazing deal IMO (I used to spend close to that on a single used CD!).

Max Rockatansky

Modern music just doesn't do it for me.  For whatever reason most of the things I like (including music) seem to be based around the formative years of my life (1982-1992).  What I've gathered over the years is that kind of thing tends just be normal.  Similarly most people my parents age didn't like 1980s era music when I was young.  I tend to enjoy music from from the 1960s up to the early 1990s.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 03, 2023, 04:04:05 PM
Modern music just doesn't do it for me.  For whatever reason most of the things I like (including music) seem to be based around the formative years of my life (1982-1992).  What I've gathered over the years is that kind of thing tends just be normal.  Similarly most people my parents age didn't like 1980s era music when I was young.  I tend to enjoy music from from the 1960s up to the early 1990s.
It's funny because you were only 11 in 1992. I've always thought that your formative years for music were more like your teen years, so for you it would be mid to late 90s music.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JayhawkCO

I like plenty of new music, but I haven't listened to any pop music in probably 20 years or so (basically once out of college). I remember, as a high schooler, saying to my teachers, "How do you not know this song!". Now I know. You actively don't listen to stations that play pop music. Obviously I know some TSwift songs in passing, or things like the Weeknd (if that's how you spell it), Post Malone, etc. But only because I hear them in public places or on commercials (which is also a rarity since I don't watch a ton of live TV).

I listen to some modern rap (Kendrick, Denzel Curry, the new Nas album), but very little of the new wave of rap hits me like it did even 10 years ago. The beats are generally terrible now and the lyrics way less interesting/catchy. Even stuff that's well-regarded by critics like Chance the Rapper is not appealing to me at all.

Country is not my jam in general, but I do listen to bluegrass.

1995hoo

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 03, 2023, 04:09:25 PM
I like plenty of new music, but I haven't listened to any pop music in probably 20 years or so (basically once out of college). I remember, as a high schooler, saying to my teachers, "How do you not know this song!". ....

Heh. I was in junior high from 1985 to 1987 and I remember my eighth-grade English teacher said something about Led Zeppelin one day. One of the other kids thought that was the coolest thing ever: "Teachers aren't supposed to know who Billy Joel is and here she is referring to Led Zep!!!!"
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 03, 2023, 04:07:51 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 03, 2023, 04:04:05 PM
It's funny because you were only 11 in 1992. I've always thought that your formative years for music were more like your teen years, so for you it would be mid to late 90s music.

My brother is seven years older than I am.  What my brother and his friends liked tended to be what I also liked.  Way more of my early life was based around 1980s centric things than 1990s.  By the time I was in early middle school I was already pretty hardened into the personality and likes I have now.  Grunge in particular is something I just found depressing and unenjoyable.

My teen years were something of a throwaway as I was waiting out turning 18 and being able to leave.  It certainly was probably accentuated by the fact my family moved so many times between 1996 and 2000 that I didn't really have much attachment to the era. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 03, 2023, 03:32:14 PM
Forum search results for {"Taylor Swift"}:  two pages (including a link to a post by Jeffandnicole saying "Taylor Swift rules!").

Hahaha

But yet, I do enjoy listening to her music.

US 41

For the most part I enjoy modern pop and country music. I'm not too big into the rap / hip hop anymore. I used to love it in my late teens and early 20's, and even rapped quite a bit myself, but not so much now. Even the rap I used to like just doesn't hit like it used to.

My favorite genre of music tends to be classic rock these days and is what I listen to the most. I also enjoy most classical Mexican music and female sung Latino pop.

Since Taylor Swift was mentioned I'll comment on that. Her country music and country pop music in my view was really good and I still listen to it. Her newer stuff is hit and miss though. "1989" was the last album she made that I enjoyed all the way through.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

SectorZ

The only Taylor Swift I ever enjoyed was the CMT Crossroads live show she did with Def Leppard. That was back when she was still a country artist, which is insane to think what a fraction of her career is now country when she became a megastar due to her rise in the genre.

In terms of your taste RGT, you do you.

JoePCool14

From the sounds of things, the answer to your question RGT, is no.

I used to listen to pop music in the early 2010s, mixed in with a handful of older tracks. As I got older, the pop music got worse, and I also liked it a lot less. I don't enjoy really anything popular that's released recently outside of a song here or there. I preferred 80s music or some electronic retro-style instrumental music, mostly by this very niche artist Anders Enger Jensen. Definitely suggest checking him out if that sounds even remotely interesting to you. He's got several albums worth of music.

My latest music kick has brought me into smooth jazz, a genre I actually listened to when I was a kid thanks to several Peanuts OST albums that were primarily jazz. I also remember the smooth jazz the Weather Channel used to play before they went to generic, lame music a decade ago, and my currently playlist is actually based mainly on songs they used to use during local forecasts.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Hunty2022

I listen to, and enjoy lots of modern country music, as well as a large amount of modern pop. My favorite/most listened to artist, OneRepublic, has a good amount of modern pop music in their Human album (2021).
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

mgk920

I'm waiting for a country song writer to do one about a guy whose self-driving pick-up truck left him and took his dog and pretty lady with it.

:-P

Mike

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mgk920 on April 03, 2023, 05:54:37 PM
I'm waiting for a country song writer to do one about a guy whose self-driving pick-up truck left him and took his dog and pretty lady with it.

:-P

Mike

My wife did not appreciate my idea for the country song I came up with while crossing Tejon Pass the other day.  Essentially the "song"  was a story about a dude who loved his truck (a Silverado 2500) and asked it to marry him.  On the wedding day it ran off with another guy and left the singer heart broken.  He finds love again in a F-250.

Scott5114

There are certain modern pop songs I like, but it's individual songs and not artists or time periods that draw my attention. Although I tend to like 2010s music better than 2000s.

Living in Oklahoma has made me despise country music. Generally the people who listen to it do so as part of this whole identity about it, and that identity tends to end up "being an asshole" if you look at it too closely. 

I don't care for rap because I want my music to have a tune to it–I prefer instrumentals if given the chance. The lyrics and their delivery can be technically impressive but it doesn't do anything for me musically without a melody.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 03, 2023, 03:17:39 PM
It seems like nobody else on the forum enjoys listening to artists like Taylor Swift. On the thread about the song you listening to thread, most of the music on there is at least 20-30 years old and I've never heard of half of those artists. Also seeing some of this pop up in the radio threads about how radio music is so much worse nowadays. I find the actual music the radio plays to be fine, it's just the commercials that are the problem.

Pfft.  You forget that there are a lot of members of this forum that don't post in that thread, youngin'.

I've got "Shake It Off" in a playlist and The Weeknd's "Blinding Lights"...a couple of Bruno Mars songs...

Having kids of my own helped, but I do make an effort to check the Billboard hits every now and then.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 03, 2023, 06:26:37 PM
Living in Oklahoma has made me despise country music. Generally the people who listen to it do so as part of this whole identity about it, and that identity tends to end up "being an asshole" if you look at it too closely. 
Country fans being stereotyped a certain way means that I use country music more as a guilty pleasure, and I won't really advertise that I'm into it that publically.

Max Rockatansky

But aren't you kind of publicly admitting you like Country Music as a guilty pleasure right now?

My Dad was into Country Music and had a bunch of Garth Brooks tapes.  To me the entire genre sounds way too homogenized and doesn't have much variety. 

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 03, 2023, 07:25:53 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 03, 2023, 06:26:37 PM
Country fans being stereotyped a certain way means that I use country music more as a guilty pleasure, and I won't really advertise that I'm into it that publically.

I think it's not so much that country fans are a certain way, but rather that people who are a certain way listen to country as a way of underscoring the certain way they are.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 03, 2023, 07:46:40 PM
To me the entire genre sounds way too homogenized and doesn't have much variety. 

There was a video I saw once where they overlaid four country songs from different bands over top of one another, and the chord changes and even the timing of the bridges and choruses all lined up.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 03, 2023, 07:46:40 PM
But aren't you kind of publicly admitting you like Country Music as a guilty pleasure right now?

My Dad was into Country Music and had a bunch of Garth Brooks tapes.  To me the entire genre sounds way too homogenized and doesn't have much variety.
Most of you guys know me well enough to know that I'm not like most stereotypical country fans.

jakeroot

I don't listen to too much modern music, hip-hop and rap being an exception, in addition to some electronic music (stuff you might hear at a rave).

I liked the country music in the early 2000s/late 90s, but not the current stuff.

bandit957

I enjoy some modern music, but hardly any of it ever makes Billboard's Hot 100 chart. Most of the new music I buy is either modern rock or protest music against some of the things that have been in the news in the past few years.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.