News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Eastern terminus of I-335 in Minneapolis

Started by bugo, December 19, 2014, 07:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_335_%28Minnesota%29:

QuoteThe eastern terminus of I-335 was to be where the Johnson St exit is now on I-35W north of downtown Minneapolis.

and

QuoteAlthough I-335 was never built, evidence of its planned existence still exists in the design of the Johnson Street exit, which is unusual for a surface street due to the planned junction with I-335. Also a strip of housing in the area is of 1970s vintage, which is much newer than the surrounding houses in the neighborhood. These houses were built once the 335 project was cancelled on land where the older housing stock had been demolished in preparation for the freeway. For many years, blank lines on exit signage and ramp stubs also existed on I-35W in the area, until the original signs and roadway were redone many years later.

Here's a map of the interchange in question:

http://goo.gl/maps/z9xA2

Here's a map of the proposed I-335 located on Froggie's site (http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/minnesota/cancelled/i335.htm) which contradicts the information from Wikipedia. It shows the end of I-335 being near Winter Street, further south than the Johnson Street interchange:

Where was it actually supposed to end? If it was supposed to connect to 35W further south, then why the fancy interchange at Johnson Street?

Also, i think it's funny that the Johnson Street interchange has ramps that dump into a parking lot.

NE2

Signals may have gotten crossed: the northbound exit to Brighton Boulevard did (until recently) curve out around where I-335 would have merged in according to the map, and there probably would have been access to the Johnson Street exit from I-335.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=44.994805,-93.238392&spn=0.010819,0.024784&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=44.994736,-93.238388&panoid=Vxsnlx7r2XuIyM8eCWBTJg&cbp=12,355.14,,0,0.25
If you go forward you can see this mound of dirt that probably was going to carry I-335 being removed.

That parking lot access used to continue into Arthur Street.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alex

Two stubs were built into Interstate 35E for the east end of I-335. The northern one was removed as part of construction visible in the above links. The southern one is still there.

Interstate 335 on the 1973 Minnesota Official Highway Map

Took a screen shot of a 2006 aerial and had some fun drawing in the ramps based upon the map on Froggie's site above. Note also the northern stub by the Summer Street pedestrian overpass.

bugo

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

NE2

bugo

NE2

The High Plains Traveler

Since I drove through that interchange daily for a number of years, can I make a non-combative reply? There was an exit to New Brighton Blvd. from NB I-35W, then a "ghost ramp" embankment and an exit to Johnson St. The ramp from 335 would have come over that embankment, provided access for that traffic to Johnson St. or New Brighton Blvd., then bisected the ramps to those streets and joined to I-35W.  It was strange to have the two separate exits come together with a paved median between them and no legal way to cross the median, but that was for the 335 traffic.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

froggie

By centerline definition (which is what MnDOT typically uses), I-335 would have ended at I-35W.

The construction seen in the latest GMSV is part of this project, which in conjunction with a new northbound on-ramp from 4th St, is consolidating the northbound exits to New Brighton Blvd/Stinson Blvd and Johnson St into a single exit (located at the existing Johnson St exit) and adding a northbound auxiliary lane from the river bridge to the consolidated exit ramp.  The construction and space needed for the auxiliary lane is why the old embankment for what would have been the northbound 335 merge is being taken out, as mentioned by SPUI, Alex, and Steve.

SPUI has since gone in and updated the Wikipedia article regarding the 335 terminus.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.