News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

RITBA Truck Tolls

Started by BridgesToIdealism, August 01, 2020, 03:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BridgesToIdealism

It appears that the Rhode Island Turnpike is ramping up its tractor-trailer only tolls on the state highways. The last time I came through Rhode Island, the cashless toll gantries were only installed on I-95 between RI-4 and the CT state line. I thought that those gantries, along with proposed truck tolls on the Mount Hope and Sakonnet River Bridges, was going to be the end of it. Nope! I drove I-295/Providence Beltway today between RI-146/RI-99 and the south split with I-95, and I identified at least four separate toll gantries, all but one of which were active. One of the gantries had rates as high as $6.50 with an in-State E-ZPass!! The gantries on I-95 south of RI-4 were only as high as $4 when I went through there. They even had two toll gantries in as many miles on I-295 near the US-6 interchange reconstruction site. I have not heard anything about the Mt. Hope and Sakonnet Bridges. I know the Jamestown-Verrazzano Bridge is supposed to remain free.

Thankfully I'm not a trucker, but really, this is overkill. I'm surprised that RITBA isn't making enough money just with the $4.00 Pell Bridge toll and the original truck tolls on I-95 between RI-4 and CT. If they need more funding, can't they impose tolls on all vehicles for the Mount Hope and Sakonnet Bridges? Tolling the JV Bridge would be excessive considering how close it is to the Pell Bridge... but I think that a good deal of revenue could be made at the other two bridges with all-vehicle tolls, rather than installing ridiculously high truck tolls on every single highway.
Matthew Wong; University of Indianapolis Class of 2024

hotdogPi

These costs are still quite low for trucks.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

BridgesToIdealism

Okay, this is even more ridiculous than I thought. On the return trip, I counted six toll gantries - one on I-95 in the short distance between RI-4 and I-295, and then five on I-295 between I-95 south split and RI-146/RI-99. The gantry on I-95 was $4. The first gantry on I-295 wasn't activated. The second and third gantries on I-295 were $6.50. The fourth gantry was $7.43(!!!) The fifth gantry was $1.12. And all of those prices are with an in-state (RITBA-issued) E-ZPass transponder. I don't dare to know what the Pay-By-Plate rates are.

RITBA must be super broke if they feel the need to charge trucks $7.43 at a single toll collection point that is located less than 5 miles away from two separate $6.50 collection points. If the other gantry on I-295 had been activated, I don't know what it would have been, but it really doesn't matter at this point. Maybe this is why they wanted to raise the Pell Bridge tolls, but got shot down by the people who commute over the bridge every day. Seriously, if they are this broke, here's what I would recommend:

* Keep the existing $4.00 Pell Bridge toll for 2-axle vehicles, but reduce the substance of the discount offered to in-state E-ZPass users. Reportedly some people with RITBA-issued transponders are crossing the bridge for less than $1.00.

* Commercial vehicles already pay a high rate for the Pell Bridge, considering that it's $2.00 per axle. Nothing to change there.

* Institute tolling at the Mount Hope & Sakonnet River Bridges. The Mt. Hope Bridge doesn't allow trucks, but it's significance in the regional transportation network would still result in quite a bit of revenue from cars. The Sakonnet River Bridge is also a critical piece of the regional network, and since it carries both cars and trucks, if increasing rates for additional axles were used there, that would be quite a lot of money. Make sure to put a floor on the amount of discounts in-state transponder holders receive.

* Leave the existing three truck-only toll gantries on I-95 between RI-4 and CT in place. These are all $4.00 a piece.

* Remove all the other gantries that have been installed on I-95, I-295, and RI-146 - especially those charging outlandish rates like $6.50 and $7.43 for less than 10 miles of road. Or at least reduce the rates to something more reasonable.

* If absolutely necessary, implement truck-only tolls at the Jamestown-Verrazzano Bridge. However, given its proximity to the Pell Bridge, this should be a last resort, and, if needed, toll rates kept low.

With the way RITBA seems to be going, Toronto's 407 ETR, which is notorious for its astronomical toll rates even for passenger cars (~$30.00 for a full-length trip last I knew, not including the eastern extension or the Highway 412/418 connectors), will feel like nothing.
Matthew Wong; University of Indianapolis Class of 2024

PHLBOS

Quote from: BridgesToIdealism on August 01, 2020, 08:40:40 PM

I would recommend that you check out this vintage Sakonnet River Bridge (RI 24) thread (it's 3 pages long spanning from Aug. 2012 to March 2016).  It will give you the reasons how & why the proposed AET for the now-open replacement bridge was ultimately discontinued & the gantry was taken down (and reused for one of the gantries along I-95).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

fwydriver405

Quote from: BridgesToIdealism on August 01, 2020, 08:40:40 PM
Reportedly some people with RITBA-issued transponders are crossing the bridge for less than $1.00.

I went to visit one of my friends in Jamestown back in mid-July, and he said he only pays $0.83 per crossing on the Newport-Pell Bridge with his RI-issued transponder.

Toll Rates (as of 2020-08-24)

roadman

I'm usually not that concerned with aesthetics, but man, those tolling gantries look hideous.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kernals12

These truck tolls seem to be providing lots of money for highway improvements. They're refurbishing the I-95 viaduct, adding left turn flyovers to the 6-10 interchanges, and getting rid of the last traffic light on 146. Trucks impose a lot of wear on the highways and cause lots of accidents, so it's only fair that they pay up. I hope that other states follow suit, god knows that here in Mass we have a lot of highways in need of improvement.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.