News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

U.S. 66 in California

Started by Alex, August 28, 2010, 12:19:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pderocco

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 13, 2018, 03:16:50 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 13, 2018, 02:18:33 PM
So are there no CA 66 shields left in the field?  I'm looking on GSV for one and I can't find any.

They were all removed a couple years back.  Word was they were very popular for signage theft.

That was dumb. If they didn't care if they stayed up, why didn't they just wait for people to steal them all?

Max Rockatansky

Incidentally what's everyone's over/under if a CA 66 shield ended up on eBay?  My guess is that that someone would want at least $1,000 on a BIN to start things off.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 23, 2018, 08:59:13 AM
Incidentally what's everyone's over/under if a CA 66 shield ended up on eBay?  My guess is that that someone would want at least $1,000 on a BIN to start things off.

Why wouldn't people just commission a new CA-66 shield to be fabricated by a supplier?  That ought to run you well under $1000 lol.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 23, 2018, 10:06:04 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 23, 2018, 08:59:13 AM

Why wouldn't people just commission a new CA-66 shield to be fabricated by a supplier?  That ought to run you well under $1000 lol.

I'm not saying I'd pay it but would be hard to find anyone outside of Jake who would do it correctly.  Pretty much all those shields (aside from the BGS pictured earlier) were likely reflective paint with vinyl numbers.  The modern fully vinyl shields have a completely different look and feel which what you are likely to get from a DOT contractor. 

djsekani

Quote from: andy3175 on March 17, 2018, 01:10:45 AM
Quote from: sparker on March 16, 2018, 01:38:46 AM
I believe Rancho Cucamonga and Upland have yet to request relinquishment of CA 66/Foothill Blvd, leaving the segments through those cities under Caltrans parvenu (sans signage except for the BGS's on I-15 as shown.  The last time I was through there on that route was in the summer of 2012; the only CA 66 signs remaining were at the Euclid Ave./CA 83 intersection -- and the WB signage was in the form of -- unusual for CA -- a "unisign" with the 66 and 83 shields on one black-background sign with directional banners printed below.  Otherwise, I don't recall seeing any standalone CA 66 signs in District 8 (D7/L.A. County never erected any; even at the CA 210/previous CA 30 Foothill Blvd. interchange in San Dimas).   

I'm wondering if the "unisign" mentioned above still exists?  When I was living in D8 (2004-12) it always seemed like there was one or another "oddball" sign in various places (including the reassurance shield for CA 259!) that wouldn't have existed in another district -- although some of them didn't stay up for long.

This was at that intersection in 2010. I don't know if it's still there or not.

I was working in that area last December, I can confirm that it was still there.

sparker

Quote from: djsekani on April 15, 2018, 12:49:41 AM
Quote from: andy3175 on March 17, 2018, 01:10:45 AM
Quote from: sparker on March 16, 2018, 01:38:46 AM
I believe Rancho Cucamonga and Upland have yet to request relinquishment of CA 66/Foothill Blvd, leaving the segments through those cities under Caltrans parvenu (sans signage except for the BGS's on I-15 as shown.  The last time I was through there on that route was in the summer of 2012; the only CA 66 signs remaining were at the Euclid Ave./CA 83 intersection -- and the WB signage was in the form of -- unusual for CA -- a "unisign" with the 66 and 83 shields on one black-background sign with directional banners printed below.  Otherwise, I don't recall seeing any standalone CA 66 signs in District 8 (D7/L.A. County never erected any; even at the CA 210/previous CA 30 Foothill Blvd. interchange in San Dimas).   

I'm wondering if the "unisign" mentioned above still exists?  When I was living in D8 (2004-12) it always seemed like there was one or another "oddball" sign in various places (including the reassurance shield for CA 259!) that wouldn't have existed in another district -- although some of them didn't stay up for long.

This was at that intersection in 2010. I don't know if it's still there or not.

I was working in that area last December, I can confirm that it was still there.

That's an EB sign on old CA 66 (my old bank was right on that particular corner behind the camera); my question would be if the similar WB sign array was still in place, particularly since CA 83 is now truncated, with I-10 (about a mile and a half to the south) being the southern terminus.  I don't recall anything similar on Euclid (old 83) -- on which CA 83 signage was historically sporadic at best.  Caltrans in general, and D8 in particular, have over the years demonstrated diminishing interest in signing surface facilities in metro areas and have been trying to relinquish as much surface mileage as they can slough off on the cities and counties. 

TheStranger

Draft environmental impact report being prepared (as of April) for the section of Route 66 near Amboy that needs bridge replacements due to multiple washouts:

https://cms.sbcounty.gov/Portals/50/10%20Bridges.pdf?ver=2021-04-08-131900-290
Chris Sampang

sparker

Quote from: TheStranger on July 09, 2021, 02:45:46 PM
Draft environmental impact report being prepared (as of April) for the section of Route 66 near Amboy that needs bridge replacements due to multiple washouts:

https://cms.sbcounty.gov/Portals/50/10%20Bridges.pdf?ver=2021-04-08-131900-290

Looks like they're going to replace the bridges using actual railing rather than the usual K-rail sides, which frankly look pretty fugly, particularly on a historical route such as this one.  According to the citation within the report, they're using "ST-75" 3-beam railing; pix of which can be found at this site:
https://dot.ca.gov/programs/research-innovation-system-information/roadside-safety-research-group/type-st-75-post-and-beam-bridge-rail

It would probably be too much to ask that the railing be "aged" so it appears era-appropriate; with the sandstorms and even monsoons that come through the area regularly, it'll get pretty weathered before long!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.