Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 27, 2020, 11:57:07 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on May 27, 2020, 09:52:56 AM
Per 511virginia.org, the only VMS up on I-81 South between Roanoke and Christiansburg read "SAFETY IS NOT CANCELED SLOW DOWN". A select few VMS on Christiansburg local roads read "US-460 TRAFFIC TO WEST VA USE TO I-77 NB TO WV EXIT 9", but that's about it. There may be portable VMS up as well that just aren't displayed - I would hope that's the case.

I drove I-81 southbound from Strasburg to Wytheville on Sunday.  There were at least five of VDOT's DMS units on the southbound side south of Lexington warning drivers headed for Princeton, West Virginia to use I-81 S to I-77 N to avoid the U.S. 460 problem discussed above.

If you're coming from an area north of Princeton, wouldn't it be better to exit I-81 at Lexington and use I-64 to Beckley, and then south on I-77?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hbelkins

Quote from: VTGoose on May 27, 2020, 09:38:29 AM
Quote from: froggie on May 26, 2020, 08:38:07 PM
Quote from: VTGoose on May 26, 2020, 10:47:28 AM
while locals and others in the know use Lurich Road on the other side of the river to get between Narrows and Glen Lyn. It is a narrow two-lane road with a tight square turn to get to and through the underpass beneath the N&W near the Glen Lyn end (https://www.google.com/maps/place/37°22'28.7%22N+80°50'42.9%22W/@37.374651,-80.8462109,313m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d37.374651!4d-80.8452507?hl=en&authuser=0). It is not for the faint of heart and definitely not for any type of truck over pickup size.

Google Maps suggests the rail underpass in question is closed through next week.  Is that the case?

That may be so, just to keep traffic off an inadequate road. This is from the Bluefield Daily Telegraph:

QuoteCounty officials, law enforcement and VDOT workers have been attempting to redirect traffic to safer alternate eastbound and westbound routes, but these efforts have been complicated by drivers following GPS driving app instructions instead of following the illuminated warning signs VDOT has posted.

"I think some of these truckers will follow a GPS over the edge of a damn cliff if it told them "˜recalculating ... turn right.' They need to turn off their apps and pay attention to signs in a situation like this,"  said Capt. E.S. Thwaites of the Giles County Sheriff's Office, who noted that errant commercial truck traffic has compounded the congestion at multiple traffic choke points.

The story also gives somewhat correct but questionable directions for an alternative route from I-77 to Narrows via VA 61 from Rocky Gap. The road is mostly on a former railroad roadbed, so it has easy curves and a pretty flat grade -- but it is a two-lane country road. It may be OK for locals who are used to that type road, but the story also quotes Capt. Thwaites, "This is the route commercial truckers should definitely take."

The whole article is at https://www.bdtonline.com/news/landslide-closes-stretch-of-route-460-in-virginia/article_5b07ca56-9eec-11ea-bb64-772e1217230e.html and includes a photo and a pretty good description of the problem.

WVVA, the Bluefield television station also posted the detour info from the sheriff's office:

QuoteFollowing the closing, the Giles County Sheriffs Office has shared alternative routes for those affected by the incident.

The BEST ALTERNATE ROUTE includes taking I-77 to Rocky Gap, leading you to Wolf Creek Road. This has been deemed the best and saftest alternative route. STRONGLY RECOMMENDED FOR TRUCKERS.

Other alternative routes include taking Lurich Road off of 460 to get around the closures, taking you back on to 460. THIS ROUTE IS NOT ALLOWED FOR TRUCKS OR VEHICLES OVER 20 FEET because there is a one lane tunnel.

Motorists can also take I-77 to I-81 and then come through Dublin to hit Route 100 to get around the road closures on 460.

It would seem that the I-77/I-81 routing would be preferred by truckers (especially

Virginia 511 is showing Lurich Road open as of Wednesday morning.

Bruce in Blacksburg

Around here, trucks regularly ply routes a lot worse than that stretch of VA 61.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on May 27, 2020, 02:49:07 PM
If you're coming from an area north of Princeton, wouldn't it be better to exit I-81 at Lexington and use I-64 to Beckley, and then south on I-77?

Does that routing involve at least one West Virginia Turnpike toll?

That may be why VDOT was not suggesting it (speculation, of course).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

VTGoose

The problems in Giles County continue to mount. Between people who don't believe the signs apply to them ("No trucks over 20 feet") and rising waters on the New River, getting around the county is a problem. Between the already-high river and additional flow from Appalachian Power releasing water from Claytor Dam to be ready for more rain this weekend, Lurich Road was flooded out in several places where it runs close to the river. To help local traffic, the eastbound lanes of U.S. 460 were opened to two-way traffic for a time.

QuoteBond [Jason Bond, a spokesman for VDOT] said that as of about 3:30 p.m. Thursday, repair work was halted in the two formerly eastbound lanes of U.S. 460 and one lane of traffic was opened to both east- and westbound drivers. The reopening is to last only until the water recedes from Lurich Road, at which point the detour will be restored and U.S. 460 will be completely shut down again, Bond said.

Flaggers and pilot trucks are controlling traffic through the section of the highway that was affected by Friday's mudslide, and drivers should continue to expect delays, Bond said.

The highway department advises non-local traffic to use Interstates 81 and 77 as a bypass around U.S. 460.​

See https://www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/detour-road-flooding-prompts-vdot-to-reopen-u-s-460-in-giles-co-but-not/article_7ba2ab0c-ecce-5283-b18e-c807f9e6887a.html for the full story.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

cpzilliacus

Quote from: VTGoose on May 28, 2020, 06:07:34 PM
The problems in Giles County continue to mount. Between people who don't believe the signs apply to them ("No trucks over 20 feet") and rising waters on the New River, getting around the county is a problem. Between the already-high river and additional flow from Appalachian Power releasing water from Claytor Dam to be ready for more rain this weekend, Lurich Road was flooded out in several places where it runs close to the river. To help local traffic, the eastbound lanes of U.S. 460 were opened to two-way traffic for a time.

QuoteBond [Jason Bond, a spokesman for VDOT] said that as of about 3:30 p.m. Thursday, repair work was halted in the two formerly eastbound lanes of U.S. 460 and one lane of traffic was opened to both east- and westbound drivers. The reopening is to last only until the water recedes from Lurich Road, at which point the detour will be restored and U.S. 460 will be completely shut down again, Bond said.

Flaggers and pilot trucks are controlling traffic through the section of the highway that was affected by Friday's mudslide, and drivers should continue to expect delays, Bond said.

The highway department advises non-local traffic to use Interstates 81 and 77 as a bypass around U.S. 460.​

See https://www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/detour-road-flooding-prompts-vdot-to-reopen-u-s-460-in-giles-co-but-not/article_7ba2ab0c-ecce-5283-b18e-c807f9e6887a.html for the full story.

An oddity associated with the New River in Virginia - most of it is not a county/city boundary - it pretty nicely cuts Giles County in two, though it is a boundary just upstream for a while  Compare and contrast with the James, Rappahannock and Potomac Rivers, which have political boundaries associated with them pretty far upstream (the North Branch of the Potomac almost to its source). 

And issues along U.S. 460 make matters worse for Giles County, since so much of its population appears to be concentrated along the 460 corridor.

Curiously, I only visited Giles County for the first time last weekend - I had never been there before but wanted to visit the Virginia counties along the West Virginia border between Tazewell County and Craig County - and did.

Some of the streams in this area were running pretty high, including Wolf Creek (along VA-61) and Craig Creek in Botetourt and Craig Counties.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on December 11, 2019, 11:08:19 PM
Maybe a future project that might necessitate replacing the I-264 overpass with a longer span?
Quote from: sprjus4 on December 12, 2019, 05:39:19 AM
While I agree the long-term solution should be bridge replacement
Bringing back this discussion regarding the Witchduck Rd overpass on I-264, several projects for a "I-64 / I-264 Interchange Phase III" project have been submitted as Draft Candidate Projects for the 2045 LRTP. One of them includes a full replacement of the I-264 overpass over Witchduck Rd. Additional bridges either on both I-64 and I-264 and passing over them would be replaced as well.

https://www.hrtpo.org/uploads/docs/HR_2045LRTP_RegionalNeeds.pdf
QuoteI-64/I-264 Interchange Phase IIIA
Construct structures through interchange, bridges carrying EB I-64 over Kempsville Rd and Virginia Beach Blvd, and bridge carrying EB I-264 over Newtown Rd; widen EB I-64 by 1-2 lanes from Northampton Blvd entrance ramp; widening EB I-264 one lane to C/D merge with mainline.

I-64/I-264 Interchange Phase IIIB
Widen I-264 EB outer C/D from Newtown Rd interchange to mainline merge point; widen I-264 EB to east of Witchduck Rd; reconfigure I-264 EB entrance ramp from Witchduck Rd. Widen I-264 EB exit ramps to provide additional lanes; modify signals at ramp terminal intersections along Newtown Rd. Replace bridge carrying I-264 over Witchduck Rd.

I-64/I-264 Interchange Phase IIIC
Widen I-64 WB from north of Virginia Beach Blvd to Northampton Blvd Interchange; construct minor widening of bridges carrying I-64 WB over Northampton Blvd; north of exit ramp to Northampton Blvd, operate shoulder use lane along I-64 WB during AM peak only.

I-64/I-264 Interchange Phase IIID
Construct ramp through interchange and merge lanes onto I-64 WB; realign entrance ramp from Military Hwy, widen I-264 EB C/D, and widen I64 WB to three lanes approaching overpass of I-264 EB. Remove loop exit ramp from I-264 EB C/D to I-64 WB, and remove left exit from I-264 EB mainline.

I-64/I-264 Interchange Phase IIIE
Construct I-264 WB/Newtown Interchange improvements; widen Newtown Rd from Greenwich Rd to north of Cleveland St; construct I-264 WB C/D roadway and oter ramp to I-64 EB/WB; widen I-64 WB to receive new ramp lanes. Widen I-64 WB shoulder north of entrance ramp from Northampton Blvd, operate shoulder use lane along I-64 WB during AM peak only

I-64/I-264 Interchange Phase IIIF
Construct ramp through interchange, over Nosehs Creek and Curlew Dr. Widen I-64 EB to provide one additional lane to Indian River Rd exit ramp; replace bridges carrying Providence Rd over I-64. Remove loop exit ramp from I-264 WB C/D roadway and left exit ramp from I-264 WB mainline

From a few months ago, here's an overall schematic from the HRTPO on proposed improvements. An IMR (Interchange Modification Report) was completed in March 2020, though has not been posted publicly as far as I'm aware except these two figures snipped from it. (Edit: I emailed VDOT regarding this, and they said that it will be shared publicly once approved by the FHWA).

See higher resolution - https://www.hrtpo.org/uploads/docs/i64i264%20Phase%20III%20Subprojects_UPC%20106693_11.20.2019.pdf

sprjus4

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 27, 2020, 09:52:56 AM
Then there's Google Maps which shows US-460 closed in both directions, yet if you type in a routing - such as Roanoke to Beckley - it has no problem telling you to take US-460 right through the closure.

Do a closer in routing though, it then routes you down Lurich Rd to "avoid road closure". It would be helpful if it would tell people routing from I-81 instead of right at the closure. Wonder how many people have followed Google Maps to the closure then finding themselves going down Lurich Rd.
Google Maps is now routing with the closure in mind, but is still telling you to take US-460 then bypass the closure via Lurich Rd for a trip from Roanoke to Beckley. Does not recommend I-81 and I-77 as the primary route since it's a couple minutes slower than the Lurich Rd bypass. Reality plays out though, one would much rather take I-81 and I-77 then Lurich Rd.

hbelkins

The state line sure takes an interesting northward jog here to keep Rich Creek in Virginia, when logically (looking at the map) it should be part of West Virginia.

https://goo.gl/maps/jA7mhtJskJJH7qTT8

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on June 01, 2020, 01:49:42 PM
The state line sure takes an interesting northward jog here to keep Rich Creek in Virginia, when logically (looking at the map) it should be part of West Virginia.

https://goo.gl/maps/jA7mhtJskJJH7qTT8

It most likely has to do with historic county lines. The county where Rich Creek is presumably chose not to join the breakaway counties in the 1860s.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

VTGoose

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 29, 2020, 10:08:59 AM
An oddity associated with the New River in Virginia - most of it is not a county/city boundary - it pretty nicely cuts Giles County in two, though it is a boundary just upstream for a while  Compare and contrast with the James, Rappahannock and Potomac Rivers, which have political boundaries associated with them pretty far upstream (the North Branch of the Potomac almost to its source). 

The river also runs through the middle of Pulaski County before reaching Giles County. A slip of the legislation back many decades ago came to light in the '70s while annexation was still a thing in Virginia. The City of Radford coveted the commercial strip along U.S. 11 in the Fairlawn area of Pulaski County, just across the New River from the city and started annexation proceedings to expand its tax base. While research was going on for the proceedings, it was discovered that Radford had no standing to annex because it didn't have a common border with Pulaski County. Apparently when the town of Radford left Montgomery County to become the City of Radford, the boundary line was set at the waterline of the New River and not the center of the river. Montgomery County enveloped the city with a small strip of river from west to east. The result was that the boundary was adjusted to transfer the "land" from the county to the city. Pulaski County, which didn't want to lose a big chunk of its tax base, worked out a deal with Radford that kept Fairlawn in the county but set up a sharing process for tax revenue that worked for both sides.

Bruce in Blacksburg

cpzilliacus

Quote from: VTGoose on June 01, 2020, 05:10:23 PM
Apparently when the town of Radford left Montgomery County to become the City of Radford, the boundary line was set at the waterline of the New River and not the center of the river. Montgomery County enveloped the city with a small strip of river from west to east.

On another Radford-related issue, looking at Google Maps, it appears that the southbound lanes of I-81 are within the city limits of Radford, and I wanted to scratch the city off of my list (I am getting close to having visited every county and county-equivalent in the Commonwealth, something that amused a colleague and friend at VDOT a lot).   

Fortunately, the nice people of Radford have put a lot of their GIS (geographic information system) data online where it can be reached through their municipal Web site, so I looked there.  Google Maps is wrong - it appears that the city limits of Radford extend up to the VDOT right-of-way boundary next to the southbound side of I-81, but none of the travel lanes of I-81 are in the city.  So I need to exit I-81 at 105 (VA-292) the next time I am down that way and drive  few signals north into the city.

I am still baffled as to why a relatively small place like Radford (and others, such as Falls Church, Fairfax, Manassas Park and Norton) want to be independent cities.  I can understand being a town, and having more control than counties are granted in Virginia, but unless a place has a decently large population (such as Alexandria, Virginia Beach, Roanoke, Richmond and some others, I just do not grasp the benefit of being a city in Virginia).

VTGoose

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 02, 2020, 01:42:38 PM
I am still baffled as to why a relatively small place like Radford (and others, such as Falls Church, Fairfax, Manassas Park and Norton) want to be independent cities.  I can understand being a town, and having more control than counties are granted in Virginia, but unless a place has a decently large population (such as Alexandria, Virginia Beach, Roanoke, Richmond and some others, I just do not grasp the benefit of being a city in Virginia).

Radford moved from town to city in 1892 and has gone through a number of boom and bust cycles. It has also been affected by transportation over the years. The Wilderness Road (now Rock Road) crossed the area south of the city to Ingles Ferry. When the railroad came, population shifted from the ferry crossing north to the river, where the Virginia and Tennessee built facilities. Eventually U.S. 11 came through the city, changing travel patterns. When I-81 was built, it took the southern route (as opposed to following somewhat along U.S. 11 from Dublin to Fairlawn, then along the VA 114 corridor to split the difference between Blacksburg and Christiansburg) that bypassed the city and once again changed traffic patterns.

Even though it has lost some major industries over the years, there is enough of a tax base to keep the city operating, plus Radford University provides a boost to downtown businesses. Radford City schools are well-regarded, so there isn't much incentive there to give up city status and become part of Montgomery County. While other cities have reverted back to town status (such as Clifton Forge and Bedford) Radford will probably continue to hang in there.

Bruce in Blacksburg (who was a reporter for the Radford News Journal a long time ago)

sprjus4

Virginia Beach drops speed limit on busy Oceanfront street. More fixes are coming.
QuoteCrossing Pacific Avenue on foot in Virginia Beach's resort area can be a harrowing, all-or-nothing experience.

"There's really nowhere to stand,"  said Ric Lowman, the city's top traffic engineer. "You have to go across all of the four lanes, or you don't go."

To make the busy thoroughfare safer for pedestrians and bicylists, the city has lowered the speed limit on the stretch through the resort area.

Just before Memorial Day weekend, Virginia Beach dropped the limit from 35 mph to 25 mph between 16th and 32nd streets. The change will remain in effect until Sept. 30.

"25 (mph) is a good speed limit in the summertime in the core area,"  said Preston Midgett, who owns Jungle Golf on the corner of Pacific Avenue at 22nd Street and leads a resort area transportation committee that successfully pushed for improvements to the road. "It does make people aware that there are more people walking across the street."

The speed reduction is the first phase of a $1.4 million safety improvement project that will include the construction of high visibility crosswalks, improved intersection lighting and other upgrades to make crossing the street easier.

Virginia Beach received a $485,000 state grant to help pay for the project. Construction will begin this fall and take four months.

The Virginia Department of Transportation has identified Pacific Avenue as one of the state's priority "crash cluster"  areas. The four-lane undivided street runs parallel to Atlantic Avenue, and in some sections, has long stretches without traffic signals to slow down drivers.

As a test last year, the city put in a "pedestrian median refuge"  – a safe place to stand between the northbound and southbound lanes – between 33rd and 34th streets.

"It provides you a nice, wide, safe refuge area,"  said Lowman. "I've seen people use it effectively, especially if you have a bike or a stroller, you can get halfway and wait."

More will be installed at 10th Street and between 34th and 39th streets.

Also, a rectangular rapid flashing beacon to warn drivers that pedestrians are in the area will be installed north of 32nd Street. It will be the first of its kind in the city, Lowman said.

The temporary speed limit signs will be replaced with permanent variable ones that will be lowered to 25 mph each year on May 15 and go back to 35 mph on Sept. 30.

1995hoo

sprjus4

This project is located along US-58 between Hampton Roads and I-95. Likely produced from the recently completed US-58 Arterial Management Study. Asides from single-lane closures, should be no major traffic impacts.

Route 58 and Route 609 Intersection Project to Begin
QuoteConstruction on safety improvements starting as early as June 12

COURTLAND - A Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) project to improve the intersection at Route 58 (Southampton Highway) and Route 609 (Pope Station Road) in Southampton County is scheduled to begin construction as early as June 12.

Henry S. Branscome, LLC was awarded the $1.2 million construction contract to improve safety at the intersection of Route 58 and Route 609. The project will include the addition of two right turn lanes on Route 58, with one new right turn lane from Route 58 east onto Route 609 south, and one new right turn lane from Route 58 west onto Route 609 north. Route 609 will be widened to accommodate the new turn lanes and adjustments to the roadway elevation will be made to improve safety and drainage.

Throughout the duration of the project, motorists can primarily expect single-lane, weekday lane closures on Route 58 and Route 609, as well as an eventual full closure on Route 609 in both directions with signed detours in place. Night work is also permitted when required.

Motorists will be advised of additional closures and detour information that may occur during the project. The estimated completion date is fall 2020, and all construction work is dependent upon weather conditions.

Jmiles32

https://thenovaauthority.org/fy2024-2025-six-year-program-update/
The Northern Virginia Transportation Alliance recently recommended fully funding 15 (and partially funding an additional 4) transportation projects out of an original 41 candidates for their FY2020-FY2025 six-year program. They will be using $522 million dollars in regional tax revenue. Here is the full list of project candidates, their original rankings, and which ones ended up receiving funding: https://thenovaauthority.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/NVTA-FY2020-2025-SYP-Draft-NVTA-Staff-Recommendations-June-9-2020-List.pdf

Regarding road projects, it appears that US-1 was the big winner as it received funding for much-needed widening projects in both Mt. Vernon and Dumfries. In addition, the currently in-development project of widening the Fairfax County Parkway (VA-286) south of US-29 also received funding as did important road extension projects such as Crosstrail Blvd in Loudoun and Summit School Road in Prince William.

Notable road projects that did not receive funding included the highly controversial Van Buren Road extension (would connect VA-234 and Cardinal Drive just west of I-95 and act as an additional relief route), VA-234/Sudley Manor Drive interchange, US-15/Edwards Ferry Road interchange, US-1 BRT, and VA-28 corridor improvements (this last project likely wasn't funded due to it receiving previous funding and because Prince William County has already committed to funding the remaining part of the project through bonds.

Personally believe that this manner in which transportation projects get funded is definitely a step up from VDOT's smart scale, as aside from what appears to be a better ranking system, there also seems to be far more community (although admittingly also political) input that can easily overrule these rankings and IMO brings more voices and debate to the table.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

Alps

Who can tell me what these "T" signs are for?
https://goo.gl/maps/ncHBmH4k9dtGndHK7

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

Alps

Quote from: plain on June 13, 2020, 02:14:38 PM
Quote from: Alps on June 13, 2020, 02:07:06 PM

Suggested truck route.
It says no trucks! What a terrible setup. And then I saw no other yellow T's anywhere else. Are there others?

mvak36

Quote from: Alps on June 13, 2020, 02:35:02 PM

Suggested truck route.
It says no trucks! What a terrible setup. And then I saw no other yellow T's anywhere else. Are there others?

I saw this further up the street (north and east of the intersection you posted): https://goo.gl/maps/KxogbFEL2B65NZkE9.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

plain

Suggested truck route.

The "No Trucks" is for Staples Mill Rd south of (straight through) the intersection, which is why the "T" sign is pointing right. Since there is no numbered route there, Richmond simply put up that T.

Here's one on Brookland Pkwy at Robin Hood Rd

https://maps.app.goo.gl/NF6hUqy62VH5Y1UC9

Alps

Quote from: plain on June 13, 2020, 04:03:38 PM

Suggested truck route.

The "No Trucks" is for Staples Mill Rd south of (straight through) the intersection, which is why the "T" sign is pointing right. Since there is no numbered route there, Richmond simply put up that T.

Here's one on Brook and Pkwy at Robin Hood Rd

https://maps.app.goo.gl/NF6hUqy62VH5Y1UC9
Thanks to both you and mvak for walking me through it. I'm reacting to the T with right arrow over a no trucks sign with no arrow... mvak's example was perfect because it does have the arrow. That's what I wish they did here!

sprjus4

Apparently people forgot it was a bike lane. In fairness, it was a lane before a road diet.

plain

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 13, 2020, 04:31:17 PM
Apparently people forgot it was a bike lane. In fairness, it was a lane before a road diet.

People around here habitually ignore that bike lane for some reason. There's another one on the VA 33 MLK Jr Bridge that often gets ignored as well.

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 10, 2020, 03:45:47 PM
https://twitter.com/vadotnova/status/1270802476862709760?s=21

I went up to BJ's on Van Dorn Street today to buy propane and decided to take I-395 back to check out the new configuration. The Duke Street and Edsall Road interchanges are much improved with the weave areas gone. The fourth lane didn't make a huge difference at 4 PM on a Saturday. I did notice the new traffic light on westbound Duke Street is in a horrible spot–the existing flyover ramp blocks the view until you're right at the front of the line (there is one lower-mounted signal head on the median prior to the flyover). Of course the existing interchange design limited what they could do as to that traffic light, but I wonder how many accidents there might be in the short term with people not being used to that light being there.

In the picture above, the lane on the other side of the barrier to the right is the onramp from eastbound Duke to southbound I-395. It merges onto the Turkeycock exit ramp from the HO/T lanes to the mainline right about where that ramp makes its curve to the left to go downhill to join the mainline. The Turkeycock ramp becomes an exit-only lane to Edsall.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.