News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

CA 31

Started by Max Rockatansky, December 01, 2023, 09:47:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

California State Route 31 was post-1964 State Highway Renumbering designation in the Inland Empire area.  As defined, California State Route 31 spanned from Corona northward towards Devore along the outskirts of Cajon Pass.  The corridor of California State Route 31 would be consumed as part of the new alignment of Interstate 15 approved by the Federal Highway Administration during January 1972.  California State Route 31 was legislatively deleted during 1974 but signage remained for several years as Interstate 15 was being constructed. 

https://www.gribblenation.org/2023/12/former-california-state-route-31.html?m=1

RZF

A few iOSes ago, Apple Maps still showed CA-31 running up and down Hamner/Millikan Ave. That's how I found out there was a former state route there in the first place. Good thing they came to their senses and removed the CA-31 markers on the map.

Occidental Tourist

Route 31 was signed for the Main Street exit off the 91 well into the late 80s. I don't think they completed the 91/15 interchange until 87 or 88, and my recollection was that 31 stayed up on the signs for a short period even after that interchange was opened.

JustDrive

I remember 31/Main Street being signed off the 91 well into the 90s, before the double exits EB were eliminated in favor of a simple diamond.

Also, there was a huge greenout on WB 60 at the Hamner/Millikan interchange. Was that ever signed for 31?

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: JustDrive on December 02, 2023, 09:16:37 PM
I remember 31/Main Street being signed off the 91 well into the 90s, before the double exits EB were eliminated in favor of a simple diamond.

Also, there was a huge greenout on WB 60 at the Hamner/Millikan interchange. Was that ever signed for 31?

Apparently it was.  This website looks at a couple of former signs on the 60 at Hamner/Millikan.  One looks like a Temp 15 sign with control cities and the other looks like a scraped-off 31 spade.

Quillz

Quote from: RZF on December 01, 2023, 05:26:19 PM
A few iOSes ago, Apple Maps still showed CA-31 running up and down Hamner/Millikan Ave. That's how I found out there was a former state route there in the first place. Good thing they came to their senses and removed the CA-31 markers on the map.
They still sign CA-42 however.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Quillz on December 03, 2023, 09:53:22 AM
Quote from: RZF on December 01, 2023, 05:26:19 PM
They still sign CA-42 however.

More a case of CA 42 "still existing."

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on December 03, 2023, 01:15:12 AM
Quote from: JustDrive on December 02, 2023, 09:16:37 PM

Apparently it was.  This website looks at a couple of former signs on the 60 at Hamner/Millikan.  One looks like a Temp 15 sign with control cities and the other looks like a scraped-off 31 spade.

As the author of said site, yup, that's exactly what they are. At least as of a few years ago there was a surviving postmile NB at the Santa Ana River crossing, but I never got around to grabbing a camera for it. One of these days when I'm in the area again.

JustDrive

It's probably not there anymore, as the Hamner crossing over the Santa Ana River is being redone entirely.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.