News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

CA-68

Started by Plutonic Panda, July 28, 2023, 03:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

As far as I know it just runs from Monterey to Salinas. I'll reiterate what I said about CA-46 minus the excessive speeding there just is so much damned traffic I tried to slow down for some folks who were trying to make turns and they were very grateful. Another road that needs the freeway treatment or at least some roundabouts or grade separations. It seems like roundabouts are under consideration which would help.

Quillz

I think long term plans is to make the Monterey-Salinas alignment a freeway.

Plutonic Panda

That would be very nice. I'm sure the residence would really appreciate it given how hard it seems to be the merge onto that road if you're not already on it.

Max Rockatansky

There is a bunch of right of way set aside to the current 68 freeway west of the Salinas River.  I seem to recall there is a ton of existence towards the freeway being extended despite the huge amount of traffic.  68 gets really interesting west of 1 given it ends at the Asilomar Convention Center in Pacific Grove.  68 probably has my favorite state highway terminus given how weird and abruptly the highway ends:

https://flic.kr/p/2nHSjUU

Worth noting, the Monterey Peninsula is the most populated metro area in the state without a four lane highway reaching another.  1, 68 and 156 all drop to two lane roads before either expanding or hitting US 101.  If you want an easy exit from the area take County Route G16 towards Greenfield on Carmel Valley Road over the Santa Lucia Mountains.

Also worth noting, Monterey is one of my two assigned work locations.  I'm out there every month and if there is something notable you are looking for I can give you a list of cool stuff to see.  The San Juan Grade (Old US 101) is a must do given it basically the same thing as the Old Ridge Route but actually maintained and open to traffic.

Plutonic Panda

Cool! I would like to have a list like that whenever you have time to throw one together. I did check out the Laureles Grade which was kinda cool.

Max Rockatansky

Some of my assorted listed recommendations in the general area.  I'm not including G20, G16 and the San Juan Grade since they have already been mentioned:

-  Old Stage Road from San Juan Bautista if you are inclined for a small hike.  This was the road that preceded the San Juan Grade.
-  G1 through San Juan Canyon to Fremont Peak State Park. 
-  CA 25 south of Hollister is one of the finest remote state highway drives out there. 
-  La Gloria Road is a well graded dirt road in the Gabilan Range north of Pinnacles National Park and has some killer views.
-  G15/Metz Road if you like old railroad tunnels.
-  Western CA 146 has a one lane segment approaching Pinnacles National Park.
-  Lonoak Road east of King City is pretty interesting in the Gabilan Range.
-  G14/G19 on Jolon Road is a scenic alternate to US 101 in the King City area.
-  The River Road portion of G17 passes by Mission Soledad and has nice scenery.
-  Ocean View Boulevard in Pacific Grove is the nicer and free version of 17 Mile Drive.
-  Cannery Row in Monterey has some interesting rail infrastructure if you do some digging.
-  Lighthouse Avenue in Pacific Grove has some interesting landscaping features.
-  CA 183 in Castroville has the Artichoke Arch. 

pderocco

Quote from: Quillz on July 28, 2023, 04:03:51 AM
The hard part would be connecting to US-101. I think they'd just have to bypass Salinas on the south.

TheStranger

Quote from: pderocco on July 28, 2023, 07:57:44 PM
Quote from: Quillz on July 28, 2023, 04:03:51 AM
The hard part would be connecting to US-101. I think they'd just have to bypass Salinas on the south.

I recall at one point - I want to say I saw it in a 1960s edition, not sure -  a corridor was proposed roughly following Davis Road from 101 southwards (on the west side of Salinas) then towards current 68; there is a parclo interchange with Route 183 that may be a vestige of this plan.

From Cahighways, here's a map scan of the proposal:

Chris Sampang

Max Rockatansky

In the past having an adopted corridor of 68 to the south would run afoul of Spreckels Sugar Company. Even nowadays there is some pretty powerful Ag interests around Salinas who would never want to see a 68 freeway built through their lands.  Ironically though, much of Davis Road is built up to expressway standards and includes a partial interchange with CA 183.

Concrete Bob

Here are Caltrans' current plans for updating SR 68:

https://dot.ca.gov/caltrans-near-me/district-5/district-5-current-projects/d5-scenic-route-68-improvements

I would agree that the corridor should be a freeway, but it doesn't look like that is part of the current plan.  Sigh! 

pderocco

Sounds like they're going in the opposite direction. Putting in roundabouts isn't generally a precursor to conversion to full freeway.

Max Rockatansky

So, the moral of the story is to avoid 68 like the plague come 2027 when construction breaks ground.  Not that I needed much selling on Carmel Valley Road as an alternate...

Quillz

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 01, 2023, 11:09:01 PM
So, the moral of the story is to avoid 68 like the plague come 2027 when construction breaks ground.  Not that I needed much selling on Carmel Valley Road as an alternate...
How is the quality? Last time I drove it, there were potholes and rocks on the road.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Quillz on August 01, 2023, 11:39:06 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 01, 2023, 11:09:01 PM
How is the quality? Last time I drove it, there were potholes and rocks on the road.

About the same as you describe.  What it lacks though is other drivers and traffic jams. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.