News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2015 CA/NV/UT/CO/WY/SD Road Trip

Started by ZLoth, February 03, 2014, 05:14:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

After my aborted 2013 Colorado road trip, I'm starting to plan again for a two-week road trip. Right now, it's in the planning stages, and I'm looking at Summer, 2015 travel time (probably late-June). Here is what I'm looking at for destinations:
Now, to figure out some places to stay at.... anyone have suggestions? Obviously, if I have a (MULTI) next to a destination, then I'm planing on staying for 2-3 nights, and thus I want something fancier than if I'm planning on staying at a place to just sleep. I'm also trying to be a little less aggressive with putting in the daily miles, but not always succeeding.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

ZLoth

Would I be better traveling in late June prior to fourth of July weekend, or early July after fourth of July weekend?
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

corco

I tend to think weather is usually better in late June than it is in early July...though I have no numbers to support me.

As far as traffic, I'd think the opposite. People will be worn out from their 4th of July trips and less likely to be traveling at that point.

agentsteel53

there will be days that, unless you are stopping at every clump of trees to look for old Lincoln Highway concrete, you will make 500 miles without any particular effort.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

ZLoth

500? Uff! I want to be able to stop along the way and take pictures. Last year, I drove from Sacramento to Roseburg, OR (417 miles) to Port Angeles, WA (407 miles) in two days. It was not enjoyable, plus, I had to make a ferry appointment to Victoria, BC. 250-300 miles is more of my pace.

ZLoth

I'm wondering if I should substitute Beaver, UT instead of Salina, UT. Salina would still be a mandatory story for fuel anyways.

oscar

Quote from: ZLoth on February 12, 2014, 08:38:41 AM
I'm wondering if I should substitute Beaver, UT instead of Salina, UT.

Beaver would draw you south from your route, and both the town and UT 21 to get there from US 50 are pretty uninteresting.  Also, AFAIK just a handful of chain motels for lodging in Beaver.  I'm sure you can do better in Salina. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.