News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cumberland, MD Meet - Saturday, October 21, 2023

Started by Laura, September 01, 2023, 02:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura

Y'all know how I've been teasing the Cumberland, MD meet for years now? I'm finally ready to host it, and at a time when everyone can see some peak fall colors in the area, too!

Saturday, October 21, 2023 at 11 am
Crabby Pig Restaurant, 13 Canal Street, Cumberland, MD 21502

Meet Itinerary and Driving Tour information is complete and can be viewed at the link below:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/q0tyfqa5o23v6cv49tzad/Cumberland-Meet-Itinerary.docx?rlkey=qzzzq12qfnv3bty92trdyexx8&dl=0

Sites include:

• Cumberland - Site of Mile Marker Zero (National Road, Great Allegheny Passage) and George Washington's Headquarters
  • LaVale Toll Gate House
  • US 219 Bypass east of Grantsville
  • Casselman River Bridge
  • Oldtown Toll Bridge

roadwaywiz95

I'm definitely in for this. I also plan on investing in a new video camera soon, as I'm looking to add the title of "amateur documentary filmmaker" to my already-congested resume. (I'm moving away from doing live streams for meets due to the hassle of internet reception and wanting to keep my phone in functioning order during the event.) I am aware of a documentary that was put together for the 2008 Atlanta meet and using that as a model, I'd like to do something similar for this meet. It'll be a dry run of sorts for something much larger I'd like to do for the New Orleans meet in February. So be prepared for the presence of a one-person film crew.  :-|
Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

74/171FAN

Well I guess this means I am pushing Lancaster to November 11th or even December.  I have not heard back on an official Goat Path Opening Date so you win, Laura.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

signalman

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 01, 2023, 04:10:19 PM
Well I guess this means I am pushing Lancaster to November 11th or even December.  I have not heard back on an official Goat Path Opening Date so you win, Laura.
Didn't know that you were looking at hosting a meet in Lancaster. I lived in Landisville for about 10 months in 2000-01. Last time I was in the area was 2018 on my way home from the Shreveport meet. I'd be interested in getting back out that way.

As for the subject meet, I'm also interested in it  :sombrero:

74/171FAN

Quote from: signalman on September 01, 2023, 04:53:07 PM
Didn't know that you were looking at hosting a meet in Lancaster. I lived in Landisville for about 10 months in 2000-01. Last time I was in the area was 2018 on my way home from the Shreveport meet. I'd be interested in getting back out that way.

I had started discussions on it within the last week.  I am just waiting on a schedule update from East Lampeter Township before I am ready to announce it.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

dgolub

Well, well, well.  It looks like my planned NH/VT vacation for this fall is getting replaced by a MD/WV vacation...

Duke87

...while my trip to TX is committed to and not changing so I can't make it unfortunately.

But, I'm going to have a new nephew to meet, which is kinda more important.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Duke87 on September 01, 2023, 05:06:56 PM
...while my trip to TX is committed to and not changing so I can't make it unfortunately.

But, I'm going to have a new nephew to meet, which is kinda more important.

Agreed.  I really should get out to TX at some point for the family of my sister's husband.

By the way, I am unsurprisingly almost certain to attend this meet.

baugh17

Maybe...Depends on how things play out over the next month (I only have 3½ days of PTO left on the table for this year).

A.J. Bertin

Bummer... I had really been looking forward to the idea of attending this meet since the idea was first announced a long time ago.  This is not enough notice for me, and I already have other plans for that weekend - so I'm out.  I'll probably do a solo trip to Cumberland at some point over the next couple of years.

Enjoy!! :D
-A.J. from Michigan

SSOWorld

zero chance for me. I'm restricting myself to local surrounding areas and trips of lesser budgets due to priorities shifted elsewhere.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Can't happen for me.
I've already committed to attending the King Biscuit Blues Festival, in Helena, Arkansas, at the beginning of October, with several friends of mine from here in Columbus.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Rothman

Quote from: baugh17 on September 01, 2023, 08:55:45 PM
Maybe...Depends on how things play out over the next month (I only have 3½ days of PTO left on the table for this year).

I have a parallel issue that keeps me from attending anything for a year.  Got a promotion that put me back on "probation," which limits how much time I can take off (a little frustrating in the last half of my career since I also have time I need to use up to stay under total annual limits...I think I won't lose any, though).  With other trips planned to family and whatnot and expected doctor's visits, I'm fully tapped out.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jpi

Well, that's the day of the Cincinatti Hot Wheels club diecast car show so I am out. Cumberland is a really cool city and surrounding area and I know Mrs MDRoads will put on a great meet. :bigass: I will be there in spirit  :nod:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

I love the mountains, so I might consider attending. A lot depends on accommodations, however. I would probably spend Friday and Saturday nights in Morgantown, so if there's a WVU football game to jack room rates up for the weekend, that would be a negative factor. I"ve looked into staying in Cumberland a few times on past trips, but always decided against it because of already-high room rates. If it wasn't on the opposite side of where I am, I'd consider staying in Hagerstown.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on September 02, 2023, 03:21:22 PM
I love the mountains, so I might consider attending. A lot depends on accommodations, however. I would probably spend Friday and Saturday nights in Morgantown, so if there's a WVU football game to jack room rates up for the weekend, that would be a negative factor. I"ve looked into staying in Cumberland a few times on past trips, but always decided against it because of already-high room rates. If it wasn't on the opposite side of where I am, I'd consider staying in Hagerstown.
Hotel rates have grown exponentially everywhere.  That said, I don't see any outlandish aberration for hotels right around Cumberland for that weekend.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Great Lakes Roads

I've talked to my dad about this meet in October, and I guess that we are going now!  :D

jpi

I plan to be in central PA around Saturday 11/25, hint, hint  ;-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

74/171FAN

Quote from: jpi on September 03, 2023, 08:16:19 AM
I plan to be in central PA around Saturday 11/25, hint, hint  ;-)

Yeah, I am always in VA for Thanksgiving so that is the issue there.  Hopefully, you will be able to explore it yourself at that point.

akotchi

Interested in Cumberland.  Years ago, I worked at a Scout camp in Hancock, MD, where week-long canoe trips down the Potomac originated in the Cumberland area.  I-68 was U.S. 48 then, and not freeway.

Also interested in a Lancaster meet.  I was born and raised there, well, west of downtown, in Rohrerstown.  Nice to get back when I can. 
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

dlsterner

Quote from: Laura on September 01, 2023, 02:47:57 PM
Y'all know how I've been teasing the Cumberland, MD meet for years now? I'm finally ready to host it, and at a time when everyone can see some peak fall colors in the area, too!

Saturday, October 21, 2023 at 11 am
Crabby Pig Restaurant, 13 Canal Street, Cumberland, MD 21502

Sites include:

• Cumberland - Site of Mile Marker Zero (National Road, Great Allegheny Passage) and George Washington's Headquarters
  • LaVale Toll Gate House
  • US 219 Bypass east of Grantsville
  • Casselman River Bridge
  • Oldtown Toll Bridge

I've visited Cumberland a few times; it's a pretty neat town.  Just gonna throw out an idea for an optional activity ...

Since there is definitely some overlap in being a road fan and being a rail fan, the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad is a fun ride - it makes a round trip to Frostburg and back, over the span of a few hours.  It's literally steps away from the Crabby Pig.

There's also a one-lane bridge near the north end of MD 638 (closer to Frostburg).

I've never been to a road meet, so maybe this could be the one?  Although I can't do a lot of walking (arthritic knees) these days ...

dgolub

Just confirmed with my boss that I can move my vacation to that weekend.  I'm in.

74/171FAN

I will be announcing Lancaster for December 9th in a separate thread later today.  Please direct all future posts in regard to that meet there once I get to posting it.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on September 02, 2023, 03:46:47 PM
Hotel rates have grown exponentially everywhere.  That said, I don't see any outlandish aberration for hotels right around Cumberland for that weekend.

There's definitely a football game in Morgantown that weekend. Prices (according to Trip Advisor) are running $200-$400 per night.

Cheapest price I see for Cumberland is $87 per night at the Super 8. I could probably get some knocked off that via my Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance discount, but that's still a bit too rich for my tastes.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on September 06, 2023, 03:01:57 PM
Quote from: Rothman on September 02, 2023, 03:46:47 PM

There's definitely a football game in Morgantown that weekend. Prices (according to Trip Advisor) are running $200-$400 per night.

Cheapest price I see for Cumberland is $87 per night at the Super 8. I could probably get some knocked off that via my Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance discount, but that's still a bit too rich for my tastes.
Yep, hotel prices have gone up everywhere.  $87 is around the going rate anywhere...that's not having a college football game.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.