News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Toll Transponder Interoperability - 2024 edition

Started by SSOWorld, February 04, 2024, 10:14:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 15, 2024, 10:34:54 PM
This is unusual because usually only the overseeing agency, such as the EZ Pass Consortium, will announce such acceptance.  The press release says "Because of this technology change...", but they don't say what the technology change is (the stickers, I guess?). 

Maybe it's true that the stickers confirm to EZ Pass's minimum standards for the readable technology required for EZ Pass, but it seems a bit presumptuous for NC to inform everyone that every agency's EZ Pass readers will read the stickers.
NC QuickPass isn't actually an E-ZPass member.  They're an independent transponder that's interoperable with E-ZPass, just like SunPass is (and PeachPass and RiverLink).  Illinois is the only member state that I'm aware of currently using stickers.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NJRoadfan

NCTA is very much a part of the E-ZPass IAG these days. They are even the host agency for next generation equipment procurement! https://connect.ncdot.gov/business/Turnpike/Pages/EZPNextGen.aspx

The NC Quickpass hard cased transponders have the E-ZPass logo and appear to be the same casing/vendor as the tags issued by E-ZPass agencies.

kalvado

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on February 14, 2024, 03:17:49 PM
what about say case where Kansas may start takeing EZ-pass but say only show the EZ-pass logo one one side but you then get to Oklahoma see the Kansas pass  logo. Should Oklahoma be foreced to have an sign saying NO EZ-pass if they don't take it?

No. Do they also need a sign for every other transponder they don't take?  How about Sunpass or Epass? 

This is no different than state laws. There is only signage required based on the individual state's laws.  States can't run around updated their signage because other states have different laws, which can change on occasion. 

Quote from: NJRoadfan on February 15, 2024, 06:35:25 PM
NC Quick Pass confirming that all E-ZPass states now accept sticker transponders: https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2024/2024-02-15-ncquickpass-accepted-ezpass.aspx

This is unusual because usually only the overseeing agency, such as the EZ Pass Consortium, will announce such acceptance.  The press release says "Because of this technology change...", but they don't say what the technology change is (the stickers, I guess?). 

Maybe it's true that the stickers confirm to EZ Pass's minimum standards for the readable technology required for EZ Pass, but it seems a bit presumptuous for NC to inform everyone that every agency's EZ Pass readers will read the stickers.
There may be an assumption for license plate reader being a backup option.
But technically I assume universal sticker acceptance is pretty feasible - although alliance may still be doing some verifications; or some last remote location isn't equipped yet.
but IL issuing stickers as universal ez-pass seem to be in line with delayed announcement.

SSOWorld

Quote from: vdeane on February 16, 2024, 12:40:07 PM

NC QuickPass isn't actually an E-ZPass member.  They're an independent transponder that's interoperable with E-ZPass, just like SunPass is (and PeachPass and RiverLink).  Illinois is the only member state that I'm aware of currently using stickers.
reliable source?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

vdeane

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 18, 2024, 05:01:43 AM

reliable source?
That's what we were told when QuickPass first came into being, anyways.  IIRC they were called an "affiliate" rather than a full member.  Which makes sense, because they had stickers that weren't usable in other E-ZPass states and were interoperable with Florida while the rest of E-ZPass wasn't.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SSOWorld

Quote from: vdeane on February 18, 2024, 07:27:12 AM

reliable source?
That's what we were told when QuickPass first came into being, anyways.  IIRC they were called an "affiliate" rather than a full member.  Which makes sense, because they had stickers that weren't usable in other E-ZPass states and were interoperable with Florida while the rest of E-ZPass wasn't.
link to reliable source?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

NJRoadfan

ran4sh

reliable source?

When NC QP first joined E-ZPass, they've always been very clear to their customers that the sticker does not work as an E-ZPass, and the case NC QP design would be needed for NC's customers that want E-ZPass. I don't see how that makes them less than a full member, because the sticker customers back then were not E-ZPass customers at all, so why would E-ZPass be concerned about that.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

vdeane

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 18, 2024, 08:44:51 AM

reliable source?
link to reliable source?
It's kinda hard to dig up stuff from 12 years ago. ;) That said, now that I have some time, I went ahead and did some digging.  As I figured, searching the internet was mostly useless, since search engines focus on current events, not what was happening a decade ago (although I did manage to pull up a press release referencing national affiliates as a distinct membership category).  The forum, however, was a lot more informative, once I finally narrowed down the exact time period this was all going down (see the next three quotes).

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 22, 2013, 07:58:50 PM
Quote from: Interstatefan78 on January 22, 2013, 02:18:16 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 21, 2013, 08:58:50 PM
Quote from: Interstatefan78 on January 21, 2013, 07:17:49 PM
Looks like only the Hardcase and exterior  QuickPass Transmitter can go outside of North Carolina into the tolled I-495 HOT Lanes in Virginia, and the I-95 NJ Turnpike in New Jersey or the I-78 toll bridge in Williams Township, PA, but the stickertag will only work in the Triangle Expressway link is https://www.myncquickpass.com/en/about/rates.shtml or https://www.myncquickpass.com/en/faq/all.shtml

That is correct.  But I think that the folks in North Carolina have made it pretty clear that the sticker tags are only usable on in-state toll roads (and for now, that means the Tri-Ex only).
Maybe the NJ/PA/DE Turnpikes need an E-Z Pass transmitter that can read nc Quickpass sticker tags and this will allow sticker tags to roam the toll roads of NJ/NY/PA/MD, and DE that currently accept E-Z Pass or quickpass hardcase tags, but starting in mid 2013 this problem might be harder because NC Quickpass, and FL Sunpass use sticker tags which the E-Z Pass transponders can't read

As I understand it, an agreement to honor "other" transponders in the E-ZPass Group member states must apply to all member states (North Carolina is an affiliate member).

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 16, 2012, 02:55:13 PM
More from TOLLROADSnews: OmniAir making bid to have its Certification Services subsidiary plan testing programs for E-ZPass interoperability effort

QuoteThe EZPG executives were interested in hearing details of the OCS' testing for their first qualified toll technology, the 6C sticker tags, the 3M/Sirit system having completed certification in September.

QuoteThe E-ZPass Group is looking at different options for managing testing as part of their effort to establish how to handle tags from the various state toll blocs in Texas, Florida, California and other places with different electronic toll or RFID protocols.

QuoteAffiliate membership is now being offered by the EZPG for tollers with different electronic (transponder-reader) technology but who have proposals for interoperability. North Carolina Turnpike with 6B+ protocol and TransCore 6B+/E-ZPass dual protocol transponders plus multi-protocol readers is set to be the first affiliate member later this year.

QuoteThe TransCore equipment in use in North Carolina has been found to meet EZPG standards.

Link to archived article: https://web.archive.org/web/20130601060223/http://www.tollroadsnews.com/node/6233

Quote from: mtantillo on July 21, 2014, 01:45:15 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 18, 2014, 05:28:13 PM
The hard-case QuickPass looks rather different from any E-ZPass I've ever seen. What's interesting is that apparently new Virginia E-ZPass transponders are a different shape from the square devices most of us have had for many years, but they still don't look like the QuickPass. Weird. Do you have any idea how the member agencies choose what sort of device to use? Obviously in Virginia the Flex device is one thing, but aside from that, it's interesting to discover the devices are different and I wonder why that is and whether there is any significance to it.

The old square E-ZPasses were the first generation IAG-spec tags from Mark IV. When E-ZPass was introduced, part of the deal was sole sourcing of the readers and tags from Mark IV, in order to guarantee interoperability. Some other agencies (IL, VA, MA, MD) went with equipment from the same source, not because they had to but because they wanted to be interoperable with E-ZPass in the future.

Then E-ZPass had a procurement out for 5+ years for "next generation" technology. In that time, Mark IV was bought by Kapsch and the IAG rebranded itself as "the E-ZPass Group". The new rectangular E-ZPasses are the next generation transponders from Kapsch, which were ultimately selected as part of the procurement. Eventually, all E-ZPasses will be the new style. Some agencies bought new tags right away, others had to exhaust their supply of old tags first. But the new tags cost about half as much to manufacture, so agencies like them, especially ones that give them away for free. Eventually, as batteries wear out, the old tags will be replaced with new ones.

E-ZPass Flex was obviously a special design from Kapsch to solve a specific need in Virginia, and Maryland bought onto the concept to help its residents who use the 495 Express Lanes in Virginia. 

North Carolina is not a full E-ZPass Group member, they are an affiliate member. Therefore they are not bound by the sole source equipment procurement. So they are using their own equipment that was tested in the lab to ensure it can properly interface with E-ZPass. I believe they are using TransCore readers and tags (the 6B+ protocol that is the primary protocol in NC is proprietary TransCore). So that is why there is a different design. It has more functionality than an E-ZPass because it communicates on two protocols: 6B+ for NC and FL, and IAG for the other E-ZPass states.

It is interesting to note that in Northern Virginia, TransCore is the contractor in charge of the Dulles Toll Road's toll collection system. Despite that they have their own readers and tags and even their own proprietary protocol under their own patents, they had to purchase readers and tags from Kapsch. Even now that E-ZPass IAG protocols are open source and TransCore makes E-ZPass readers (for travel time computation purposes in NYC), the full members have to get readers from the Kapsch procurement for toll collection purposes.

Quote from: ran4sh on February 18, 2024, 07:16:46 PM

reliable source?

When NC QP first joined E-ZPass, they've always been very clear to their customers that the sticker does not work as an E-ZPass, and the case NC QP design would be needed for NC's customers that want E-ZPass. I don't see how that makes them less than a full member, because the sticker customers back then were not E-ZPass customers at all, so why would E-ZPass be concerned about that.
As someone from the northeast, the idea that some transponders would work everywhere and others wouldn't despite being issued by the same agency is really weird.  Especially since transponder discrimination was less prevalent back then; there was a time when, from a driver POV, an E-ZPass was an E-ZPass was an E-ZPass.  NC QuickPass not just being its own entity that was interoperable but was a whole separate system (not just a different brand like I-Pass, i-Zoom, of Fast Lane, the latter two since abandoned) that worked in states that a "regular" E-ZPass did not and had sticker tags that didn't work in E-ZPass states was uncharted territory.  Prior to NC joining, E-ZPass was essentially a system where many states all had the exact same transponder but with decentralized administration.  These days, with NC, GA, FL, KY, and MN having since become interoperable, rampant transponder discrimination, and patchwork systems of interoperability across the nation that work by having transponder systems communicate with each other rather than seemingly merge from a driver POV, it's a lot messier than it was at the time.

NJRoadfan

Something that also changed since 2012-13 is the federal push for interoperability. I seem to recall the E-ZPass IAG being pretty strict about who was a member and what equipment they tested and deployed. I'm sure there was some arm twisting to loosen requirements. Quite a bit of work was done to allow the backend systems of various agencies to communicate, plus multi-protocol reader equipment has matured on the marketplace.

One thing that came out of this is a somewhat standard system of transponder serial numbers. Every agency regardless of tag type now has a 4-digit prefix assigned to their tags to determine who issued the tag.

https://www.ibtta.org/sites/default/files/documents/Interoperability/NIOP2019/NIOP%20ICD%20Appendix%20C%20-%20RELEASED%2020210218.pdf

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.