Photos from VA Beach & Williamsburg

Started by WillWeaverRVA, July 05, 2009, 06:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillWeaverRVA

As promised here are all the photos from the trip to Virginia Beach I took yesterday. Unfortunately, as I said in the Virginia thread I had to use two different cameras, since the battery packs in my DSLR both died. This means the quality of most of these won't be quite as good as usual, but I did manage to get quite a few photos out of the DSLR.

I have yet to finish captioning everything, so keep that in mind.

http://picasaweb.google.com/coredesat/VirginiaBeachHamptonRoads7409#
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Rob Adams

Alex

Can't say that I am excited to see so much Clearview, or Busch Gardens as a control point on Interstate 64. Enjoyed the photos otherwise!

Does #%&@ in a circle/slash sign mean no cursing in Virginia Beach?

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: AARoads on July 05, 2009, 10:23:09 PM
Can't say that I am excited to see so much Clearview, or Busch Gardens as a control point on Interstate 64. Enjoyed the photos otherwise!

Does #%&@ in a circle/slash sign mean no cursing in Virginia Beach?

Correct. I find those signs funny, and I was tempted to stand under one and shout the names of all the symbols (iirc, swirl, lightning bolt, and pound sign) on the sign. :p Alas, there was no parking.

I'm a bit perplexed at the SHORE DRIVE sign on US 13; it's a new Clearview sign paired with a VMS, that replaced a perfectly normal overhead that wasn't in all caps.
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

froggie

Busch Gardens makes sense as a control point at that exit, because VDOT purpose-built that exit a few years back not only to connect to US 60, but to tie into the main entrance to Busch Gardens.

BTW, Will....one glaring error regarding your VB Oceanfront photos as you captioned them on Facebook:  US 60 follows Pacific Ave between the Atlatnic/Pacific split (north of 40th St) and 17th St.  It uses 17th St to connect between Pacific and Atlantic.  So all those photos along Atlantic, north of 17th, are just plain Atlantic Ave and not US 60.

Truvelo

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on July 05, 2009, 06:48:03 PM
I had to use two different cameras, since the battery packs in my DSLR both died. This means the quality of most of these won't be quite as good as usual, but I did manage to get quite a few photos out of the DSLR.
http://picasaweb.google.com/coredesat/VirginiaBeachHamptonRoads7409#

The batteries in my DSLR's are good for 400 pictures on each charge and even when the battery symbol goes down to the last segment it lasts ages.

Anyway, my favourite pictures are the ones of the orange hotrod. Are there any regulations in the US regarding wheel arches? Over here it's illegal to have wheels sticking out further than the arches and to have none at all is a no no.
Speed limits limit life

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Truvelo on July 06, 2009, 07:53:22 AM
Anyway, my favourite pictures are the ones of the orange hotrod. Are there any regulations in the US regarding wheel arches? Over here it's illegal to have wheels sticking out further than the arches and to have none at all is a no no.

Not sure. Froggie might know, though.

Quote from: froggie on July 06, 2009, 06:45:19 AM
Busch Gardens makes sense as a control point at that exit, because VDOT purpose-built that exit a few years back not only to connect to US 60, but to tie into the main entrance to Busch Gardens.

BTW, Will....one glaring error regarding your VB Oceanfront photos as you captioned them on Facebook:  US 60 follows Pacific Ave between the Atlatnic/Pacific split (north of 40th St) and 17th St.  It uses 17th St to connect between Pacific and Atlantic.  So all those photos along Atlantic, north of 17th, are just plain Atlantic Ave and not US 60.

I just fixed them all. Thanks. :)
Will Weaver

Chris

Quote from: Truvelo on July 06, 2009, 07:53:22 AM
The batteries in my DSLR's are good for 400 pictures on each charge and even when the battery symbol goes down to the last segment it lasts ages.

My experiences with battery status of Canon cameras are bad. They sometimes immediatly begin to pop that the battery is almost empty. Sometimes I can FILM another 50 minutes of footage before the battery dies. I have no problem taking pictures with the camera on for 6 hours straight before my two rechargeable batteries die.

WillWeaverRVA

My problem wasn't bad batteries - I just forgot to charge them and I'd been using them with the "low battery" indicator on for a while. I had to switch to JPEG only and turn off the camera or the screen after every photo to save power. Using that technique I managed to get about 100 photos on my second battery before it died (long enough to cover the HRBT, I-564, I-64 to US 13, US 13 to US 60, and US 60 to the Lesner Bridge).
Will Weaver

Chris

In my experience, leaving the camera on (screen off) is better to save energy than turning the camera on and off all the time, because it requires more mechanical movement for the lens.

WillWeaverRVA

I went to Williamsburg a couple days ago, and took my new camera along. In spite of the name of the album I uploaded them to, half of the photos in it were taken with my old camera while I get used to the new one.

The album of 45 photos (there's 47, but two are just macro tests of flowers) is located here.

Some of the photos are basically better versions of the old ones, but there's a few photos of VA 199 and VA 321.
Will Weaver

WillWeaverRVA

Added a few photos from surface streets and I-264 taken during a trip to Sandbridge last weekend.

http://picasaweb.google.com/coredesat/VirginiaBeachArea112109
Will Weaver

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.