News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 42

Started by LM117, May 27, 2016, 11:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slorydn1

I just got home from work. I've been chomping at the bit (a 12 hour shift never felt so long) to get out to Cove City to get this picture ever since my co-worker told me about the sign this morning. Well here it is, in Craven County on US-70 eastbound approximately 0.75 miles east of the Cove City overpass:

That little smudge of green off in the distance to the left of this sign is the 401 mile marker.

That sign was not there, even in blank form, when I went through there Tuesday evening. The only blank ones I had seen so far were on either side of the Lenior/Wayne County line on the new US-70 Bypass around Goldsboro.

For the first time in my short road geek picture taking career I actually pulled off the road and took the picture. I was really thinking that the picture would have come out better since I stopped the car, even with a smartphone camera. Asyou can see, I hoped wrong. I'm going to have to invest in a decent camera, I guess.

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

LM117

Quote from: slorydn1 on June 24, 2016, 07:20:55 PM

I just got home from work. I've been chomping at the bit (a 12 hour shift never felt so long) to get out to Cove City to get this picture ever since my co-worker told me about the sign this morning. Well here it is, in Craven County on US-70 eastbound approximately 0.75 miles east of the Cove City overpass:

That little smudge of green off in the distance to the left of this sign is the 401 mile marker.

That sign was not there, even in blank form, when I went through there Tuesday evening. The only blank ones I had seen so far were on either side of the Lenior/Wayne County line on the new US-70 Bypass around Goldsboro.

For the first time in my short road geek picture taking career I actually pulled off the road and took the picture. I was really thinking that the picture would have come out better since I stopped the car, even with a smartphone camera. Asyou can see, I hoped wrong. I'm going to have to invest in a decent camera, I guess.

If this sign is any indication, then it's a good bet that I-42 shields will be put up on the empty signs around Goldsboro real soon, if it hasn't been done already.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

slorydn1

After I drove all the way out to Cove City to get that picture last night my wife informed me that there is also one posted on US-70 westbound just west of the Pembroke Rd overpass, so just after you come down off the Trent River Bridge here in New Bern. I totally missed it. Sure enough when I got to work this morning I swung my bridge surveillance camera around and yep, its there.

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

froggie

QuoteIf this sign is any indication, then it's a good bet that I-42 shields will be put up on the empty signs around Goldsboro real soon, if it hasn't been done already.

Only IF FHWA has quietly signed off on it.  Otherwise, NCDOT needs to wait.  Future I-42 shields may be allowed...but full I-42 shields on the Interstate standard segments must wait for FHWA to sign off.

LM117

Quote from: froggie on June 25, 2016, 07:55:14 AM
QuoteIf this sign is any indication, then it's a good bet that I-42 shields will be put up on the empty signs around Goldsboro real soon, if it hasn't been done already.

Future I-42 shields may be allowed...but full I-42 shields on the Interstate standard segments must wait for FHWA to sign off.

I know that. I was talking about NCDOT putting I-42 on the blank "Future Interstate" signs that were put up on the Goldsboro Bypass in March. NCDOT will likely ask AASHTO and FHWA this fall to add the Clayton and Goldsboro bypasses to the Interstate system and fully sign those segments as I-42 and (hopefully) decommission US-70 Bypass in Goldsboro since otherwise it would be a useless concurrency with I-42.

hbelkins

Someone needs to start a thread on all the ways future Interstates have been signed. North Carolina alone could have several entries. For instance, Future I-26 is signed along the US 19/23 corridor with "FUTURE" in the blue banner where the direction normally appears, and no writing in the red portion of the route marker. I've seen designations for Future I-73 and I-74 with "FUTURE" in the red area of the shield.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: hbelkins on June 25, 2016, 09:22:44 PM
Someone needs to start a thread on all the ways future Interstates have been signed. North Carolina alone could have several entries. For instance, Future I-26 is signed along the US 19/23 corridor with "FUTURE" in the blue banner where the direction normally appears, and no writing in the red portion of the route marker. I've seen designations for Future I-73 and I-74 with "FUTURE" in the red area of the shield.

The reason why I-26 is signed differently is because its a gap in the route and eventually they want to keep those same signs by simply removing the FUTURE when completed.

Henry

Quote from: slorydn1 on June 24, 2016, 07:20:55 PM
I knew it would only be a matter of time before we saw I-42 on signs! It's not a bad number choice for that corridor. But as for I-87...
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

slorydn1

My wife and I took one of our famous road trips up to the mountains this weekend, and as such I can confirm that "FUTURE I-42" is fully signed between New Bern in Craven County all the way to I-40 in Wake County, in both directions-complete with "BEGIN" on US-70 eastbound approx 1/2 mile east of I-40 and "End" approximately the same distance from I-40 on the westbound side. What I mean by "fully" is that NCDOT has placed the 2 signs per county that they bought out in the field.

I have not been east of New Bern to see what they did in Carteret County, so I can't speak to what has been done down that way, yet.

I have noticed, that all but one westbound was placed on an an existing freeway section (and now I forgot which one wasn't on a freeway section).
It was after midnight when I was coming back eastbound so I forgot placement on those for sure but I want to say all were on freeway segments.

LM117

Quote from: slorydn1 on July 04, 2016, 10:31:28 PMI have not been east of New Bern to see what they did in Carteret County, so I can't speak to what has been done down that way, yet.

I'll be surprised if there's any past Havelock. The Northern Carteret Bypass is supposed to split off of US-70 just past the future Havelock Bypass and reconnect with US-70 near Beaufort, so I-42 will eventually have a slight indirect ending near Morehead City and it's access to the port, similar to how I-40 ends at the very edge of Wilmington. I haven't found any updates on the status of the Northern Carteret Bypass other than a feasability study that was released in 2009. The bypass doesn't even show up on NCDOT's map of the projects on US-70 anymore, so I'm not sure what the deal is there.

Mr. ENC

I saw a Future 42 sign right next to Wynn Oddom Ford in La Grange. Also why not extend I-42 to Charlotte so you can avoid having to go to the Triad to get to Charlotte?

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Mr. ENC on July 07, 2016, 01:17:11 PM
I saw a Future 42 sign right next to Wynn Oddom Ford in La Grange. Also why not extend I-42 to Charlotte so you can avoid having to go to the Triad to get to Charlotte?

Other than the fact NCDOT didn't request that, there is already a direct route between Charlotte and Raleigh via NC 49/US 64.

The Ghostbuster

Mr. ENC, even if Interstate 42 was extended to Charlotte, what route would you have it take?

Thing 342

Quote from: slorydn1 on July 04, 2016, 10:31:28 PM
My wife and I took one of our famous road trips up to the mountains this weekend, and as such I can confirm that "FUTURE I-42" is fully signed between New Bern in Craven County all the way to I-40 in Wake County, in both directions-complete with "BEGIN" on US-70 eastbound approx 1/2 mile east of I-40 and "End" approximately the same distance from I-40 on the westbound side. What I mean by "fully" is that NCDOT has placed the 2 signs per county that they bought out in the field.

I have not been east of New Bern to see what they did in Carteret County, so I can't speak to what has been done down that way, yet.

I have noticed, that all but one westbound was placed on an an existing freeway section (and now I forgot which one wasn't on a freeway section).
It was after midnight when I was coming back eastbound so I forgot placement on those for sure but I want to say all were on freeway segments.
Have any pictures?
Is it signed like the designated "Future" routes (i.e. Future I-26/73/74), or just the "FUTURE INTERSTATE" LGSs like above?

LM117

The Super 70 Corridor Commission FINALLY posted their minutes from their most recent meeting on May 26. It gives the status of the projects on US-70. Their next meeting is on August 18 at the Crystal Coast Civic Center in Morehead City.

http://www.super70corridor.com/cms/lib04/NC01920485/Centricity/Domain/14/Highway%2070%20May%2026.pdf

QuoteUS Highway 70 Projects Update

North Carolina Department of Transportation Eastern Project Development Section Head
of the Project Development and Environmental Analysis Unit Rob Hanson updated the members
of the Highway 70 Corridor Commission on the following:

- Wilson's Mills freeway upgrade. Merger team meeting will be held in June 2016 to
discuss preferred alternative and impact minimization for project. The environmental
document is being prepared and is expected to be approved in July 2016.
Minimization of the design has recently reduced wetlands impact by one-half acre
and reduced impacts to a cemetery. Right of way acquisition is expected in October
2017. Construction is expected in October 2019.

- Pine Level improvements. Median cross-over closures and upgrades of two
intersections to interchanges. Construction is underway and is 31% complete.
Estimated completion date is January 2018.

- Kinston Bypass is unfunded in the 2016-2025 State Transportation Improvement
Program (STIP). Decisions regarding further scheduling activities will be
determined. Work continues on study revisions to traffic forecasts and design aspects
of the shallow bypass alternative. Rough draft of the preliminary draft
Environmental Impact Statement to be completed this fall.

- James City improvements to upgrade to freeway standards. Public meetings held last
year. Public meetings will be held this fall to show the preliminary design concepts.
Evaluation of historical resources is underway to determine any effects the design of
the project may cause. Traffic forecast is due this summer. Environmental surveys
are underway. Environmental documents are planned to be completed in 2018
(Environmental Assessment) and 2019 (Finding of No Significant Impact).
Design/build let is planned for 2021. Charles Cox is working on the project as a
Project Manager.

- James City to Havelock Bypass improvements will upgrade to freeway standards,
including construction of service roads and interchanges. The right of way
acquisition was recently funded in the 2016-2025 State Transportation Improvement
Program (STIP). The schedule is as follows: environmental assessment fiscal year
2022, Finding ofNo Significant Impact (FONSI) fiscal year 2023, right of way
acquisition fiscal year 2025 and construction is post year. The planning and
environmental study will begin in 2017. Charles Cox is working on the project as a
Project Manager.

- Slocum Gate improvements for construction of fly over on existing US Highway 70
into MCAS Cherry Point. Right of way acquisition is underway. Construction is
scheduled for June 2017.

- Havelock Bypass - North Carolina Department of Transportation Eastern Region
Project Development Group Supervisor Brian Yamamoto has been completing the
Record of Decision for the project. Hopefully, the Federal Highway Administration
will approve the Record of Decision in June or July. The North Carolina Department
of Transportation is working with the US Forest Service concerning the Havelock
Bypass closure plan for prescribed burns. After the Record of Decision is approved,
the US Forest Service will need to grant an easement, 4,000 acres will need to be
transferred to the US Forest Service, a Memorandum of Understanding will need to
be updated concerning wetland mitigation. Right of way acquisition is scheduled for
September 2016. Construction is scheduled for September 2018.

- Newport River Bridge project- US Highway 70 will be widened and the bridge will
be widened and upgraded. The project is fully funded in the 2016-2025 State
Transportation Improvement Program (STIP). The schedule is as follows:
enviromnental assessment fiscal year 2020, Finding of No Significant Impact
(FONSI) fiscal year 2021, right of way acquisition fiscal year 2022 and construction
is scheduled for fiscal year 2024. The planning and enviromnental study will begin in

- Gallants Channel Bridge replacement in Beaufort - Turner Street bridge construction
is almost complete. Traffic scheduled to be on bridge in spring 2017.

Does anybody know what happened with the Northern Carteret Bypass? Nearly all the info on it has practically vanished. Was it killed?  :hmmm: I can't see NCDOT upgrading the existing US-70 between the future Havelock Bypass and Morehead City. There's numerous side streets and businesses along there, IIRC. :hmm:

slorydn1

Quote from: Thing 342 on July 07, 2016, 05:26:12 PM

Have any pictures?
Is it signed like the designated "Future" routes (i.e. Future I-26/73/74), or just the "FUTURE INTERSTATE" LGSs like above?

No I didn't take any new pictures. All of the signs look exactly like the one I did post a picture of in reply #25 above, with the addition of BEGIN or END before the word Future for the 2 signs closest to I-40 in both directions. Now I wish I took a picture of one of those two because I can't remember if the words BEGIN or END were above or to the left of the word Future.

slorydn1

Quote from: LM117 on July 07, 2016, 06:31:57 PM
The Super 70 Corridor Commission FINALLY posted their minutes from their most recent meeting on May 26. It gives the status of the projects on US-70. Their next meeting is on August 18 at the Crystal Coast Civic Center in Morehead City.

http://www.super70corridor.com/cms/lib04/NC01920485/Centricity/Domain/14/Highway%2070%20May%2026.pdf

North Carolina Department of Transportation Eastern Project Development Section Head
of the Project Development and Environmental Analysis Unit Rob Hanson updated the members

- Wilson's Mills freeway upgrade. Merger team meeting will be held in June 2016 to
discuss preferred alternative and impact minimization for project. The environmental
Minimization of the design has recently reduced wetlands impact by one-half acre
and reduced impacts to a cemetery. Right of way acquisition is expected in October

determined. Work continues on study revisions to traffic forecasts and design aspects

- James City improvements to upgrade to freeway standards. Public meetings held last
year. Public meetings will be held this fall to show the preliminary design concepts.
Evaluation of historical resources is underway to determine any effects the design of
the project may cause. Traffic forecast is due this summer. Environmental surveys
Design/build let is planned for 2021. Charles Cox is working on the project as a
Project Manager.

acquisition was recently funded in the 2016-2025 State Transportation Improvement
Program (STIP). The schedule is as follows: environmental assessment fiscal year
environmental study will begin in 2017. Charles Cox is working on the project as a
Project Manager.

- Slocum Gate improvements for construction of fly over on existing US Highway 70
scheduled for June 2017.

Record of Decision for the project. Hopefully, the Federal Highway Administration
will approve the Record of Decision in June or July. The North Carolina Department
Bypass closure plan for prescribed burns. After the Record of Decision is approved,
the US Forest Service will need to grant an easement, 4,000 acres will need to be
transferred to the US Forest Service, a Memorandum of Understanding will need to
be updated concerning wetland mitigation. Right of way acquisition is scheduled for

- Newport River Bridge project- US Highway 70 will be widened and the bridge will
(FONSI) fiscal year 2021, right of way acquisition fiscal year 2022 and construction
is scheduled for fiscal year 2024. The planning and enviromnental study will begin in

- Gallants Channel Bridge replacement in Beaufort - Turner Street bridge construction

Does anybody know what happened with the Northern Carteret Bypass? Nearly all the info on it has practically vanished. Was it killed?  :hmmm: I can't see NCDOT upgrading the existing US-70 between the future Havelock Bypass and Morehead City. There's numerous side streets and businesses along there, IIRC. :hmm:

It was on the 2006-2012 STIP as post year, I haven't heard a peep about it in years down here though.

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/us70corridor/download/US70_TIP_Projects.pdf

LM117

Quote from: slorydn1 on July 07, 2016, 06:44:25 PM
Quote from: LM117 on July 07, 2016, 06:31:57 PM

Project Manager.

Project Manager.

scheduled for June 2017.

It was on the 2006-2012 STIP as post year, I haven't heard a peep about it in years down here though.

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/us70corridor/download/US70_TIP_Projects.pdf

It probably won't be brought up again until the Havelock Bypass is done, since the eastern (or southern) end of that bypass is supposed to be where the Northern Carteret Bypass begins.

slorydn1

The more I look at it, the Northern Carteret Bypass was nothing more than a feasibility study (R-4431) and it dropped off the face of the map after it was completed in 2009. I have not been able to find any links to the actual study anywhere, so I'm guessing it was probably deemed not feasible and dropped.

CanesFan27

Quote from: Thing 342 on July 07, 2016, 05:26:12 PM

Have any pictures?

Ask and you shall receive:

IMG_9806 by Adam Prince, on Flickr

LM117

Quote from: slorydn1 on July 07, 2016, 08:02:20 PM
The more I look at it, the Northern Carteret Bypass was nothing more than a feasibility study (R-4431) and it dropped off the face of the map after it was completed in 2009. I have not been able to find any links to the actual study anywhere, so I'm guessing it was probably deemed not feasible and dropped.

I believe I found it. :nod: Two versions, actually. I tried downloading it myself, but my phone keeps dropping the signal and interrupting the download (Sprint's BoostMobile blows) and I don't have access to a desktop at the moment, so I have no idea what the study says. Maybe you and whoever else wants to see it will have better luck. I'm not sure which is the real deal (maybe both), but here ya go:

(This PDF size is 26.96MB)

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/R-4431_Feasibility-Study_Memo-Report_2009.pdf

(This PDF size is 92.68MB)

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/R-4431_Feasibility-Study_Report_2009.pdf

slorydn1

Quote from: LM117 on July 07, 2016, 09:14:54 PM

I believe I found it. :nod: I tried downloading it myself, but my phone keeps dropping the signal and interrupting the download (Sprint's BoostMobile blows) and I don't have access to a desktop at the moment, so I have no idea what the study says. Maybe you and whoever else wants to see it will have better luck. Here ya go:

(PDF is 26.96MB)

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/R-4431_Feasibility-Study_Memo-Report_2009.pdf

You didn't miss much, it just discusses the costs and general alignment of 2 options (all freeway and a freeway/expressway combo) at the southern 2 sections of the project near Beaufort (map included).

LM117

Quote from: slorydn1 on July 07, 2016, 09:27:32 PM
Quote from: LM117 on July 07, 2016, 09:14:54 PM

I believe I found it. :nod: I tried downloading it myself, but my phone keeps dropping the signal and interrupting the download (Sprint's BoostMobile blows) and I don't have access to a desktop at the moment, so I have no idea what the study says. Maybe you and whoever else wants to see it will have better luck. Here ya go:

(PDF is 26.96MB)

You didn't miss much, it just discusses the costs and general alignment of 2 options (all freeway and a freeway/expressway combo) at the southern 2 sections of the project near Beaufort (map included).

I found a second, longer version. I edited my last post to include the link. It might have more details in it.

slorydn1

Wow, that was a huge file, it took 5 minutes at broadband speeds to download, lol.

OK, I'll cut to the chase, here is the section labeled "reccomendations" in it's entirety:

QuoteVII. Recommendations CORRIDORS A, B, & C: It was found that the four-lane divided freeway (Sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 — Option A, 6, and 7) and the four-lane divided expressway (Section 5 — Option B) would be able to accommodate the projected 2030 design year traffic volumes with an acceptable level of service. The estimated cost for the proposed project corridor with the whole freeway ranges from $372,400,000 to $390,100,000. The estimated cost for the proposed project corridor with the freeway/expressway combination ranges from $272,300,000 to $290,000,000.

LM117

Quote from: slorydn1 on July 07, 2016, 09:46:48 PM
Wow, that was a huge file, it took 5 minutes at broadband speeds to download, lol.

OK, I'll cut to the chase, here is the section labeled "reccomendations" in it's entirety:

QuoteVII. Recommendations CORRIDORS A, B, & C: It was found that the four-lane divided freeway (Sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 — Option A, 6, and 7) and the four-lane divided expressway (Section 5 — Option B) would be able to accommodate the projected 2030 design year traffic volumes with an acceptable level of service. The estimated cost for the proposed project corridor with the whole freeway ranges from $372,400,000 to $390,100,000. The estimated cost for the proposed project corridor with the freeway/expressway combination ranges from $272,300,000 to $290,000,000.

Damn, I knew it was a big file but I didn't think it would take 5 minutes to download. Oops! :-D

Anyway, thanks for the briefing. Steep price tags aside, it might be likely that NCDOT will go for the "whole freeway" route now that I-42 is a factor.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.