News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Hidden Menus

Started by OCGuy81, May 12, 2021, 02:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

It's not really hidden, in that so many people know about it, but In & Out has long had a "hidden" menu.  Items that aren't displayed on the menu, but are available upon request. 

Personally, I'm partial to animal style fries, which is where the fries are topped with grilled onions, fry sauce, and cheese.  Yum!! I also ask for grilled onions over raw onions when I order.

I know there's a lot of places that have their own hidden menu items, a lot of which are pretty good.  What're some of your favorites?

NWI_Irish96

What things are on In & Out's hidden menu?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

OCGuy81

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 12, 2021, 02:37:59 PM
What things are on In & Out's hidden menu?

There's quite a few.  Animal style, which I mentioned above.  They'll also do a grilled cheese, just their melted cheese between two buns.  You can ask for a burger "mustard grilled" where they'll put mustard on the patty prior to putting it on the flat top.  There's a 3 x 3 or 4 x 4 where the numbers indicate the number of patties.  You can ask for fries well done so they're crispier.

Those are about all the ones I know of off the top of my head.

kphoger

https://www.in-n-out.com/menu/not-so-secret-menu

Of course, it says that's "some of the most popular items"–which implies they left some out.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2021, 02:41:42 PM

Of course, it says that's "some of the most popular items"–which implies they left some out.

OK, those are just different ways of preparing things. When I think hidden menu, I think of how Arby's used to have bacon beef & cheddar (which they finally put on the actual menu).
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

OCGuy81

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 12, 2021, 02:48:54 PM

OK, those are just different ways of preparing things. When I think hidden menu, I think of how Arby's used to have bacon beef & cheddar (which they finally put on the actual menu).

Looks like Jersey Mike's is kind of like that.  The BLT sounds pretty good, I may have to inquire.

http://www.mashed.com/222253/jersey-mikes-secret-menu-items-youll-wish-you-knew-about-sooner/

kphoger

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 12, 2021, 02:48:54 PM

I mean, I guess.  But, if Arby's already had roast beef sandwiches and bacon and cheddar, then wasn't that also just a "different way of preparing things"?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

Sometimes it's discontinued items that we still have all the ingredients for. When I was at Burger King we had the Extra Long Cheeseburger, which was basically a cheeseburger on an original chicken bun. It went away, but every once in a while someone would ask for one; those of us who knew how could still make one if asked and it was never removed from our computers.

It usually depended on the manager working; some would refuse to honor orders for them, while others would permit it.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 12, 2021, 04:46:23 PM
Sometimes it's discontinued items that we still have all the ingredients for. When I was at Burger King we had the Extra Long Cheeseburger, which was basically a cheeseburger on an original chicken bun. It went away, but every once in a while someone would ask for one; those of us who knew how could still make one if asked and it was never removed from our computers.

It usually depended on the manager working; some would refuse to honor orders for them, while others would permit it.

Like how you can still order a cheesarito at Taco Bell, except that it takes about seventeen steps of adding and removing ingredients from an existing menu item, and then the cashier will just give you this annoyed look.
Male pronouns, please.

OCGuy81

Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2021, 04:59:17 PM

Like how you can still order a cheesarito at Taco Bell, except that it takes about seventeen steps of adding and removing ingredients from an existing menu item, and then the cashier will just give you this annoyed look.

Pretty much.  When I used the eat at Taco Bell, the Enchirito was my go-to.  It wasn't on the menu for the longest time, then it was.....but I haven't been there in at least 10 years, maybe someone can confirm if this is still a menu item or not.

Scott5114

At ours, it was the ham and cheese sandwich. We always had ham around (for breakfast), and of course cheese, so it was possible to make. It was just ham and cheese on a burger bun, if I remember correctly. Maybe mayo.

But anyone trying to order one would cause a problem, because first the cashier had to know that was a thing that existed, as well as where to find it on the register, and then inevitably the kitchen would see it on their screen and ask what the hell that was, and hope that the manager knew how to make it (or had the presence of mind to look it up in the ops manual).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SkyPesos

Tip for anyone going to a generic Americanized Chinese restaurant, specifically one owned by a Chinese person, and want to eat some actual Chinese food: ask if they have a Chinese only/secret menu. If so, that's where the authentic Chinese food is. Instead of the General Tso Chicken and Egg Drop Soup crap, you may find stuff like a stir fry pork dish, rice noodles, or some sort of seafood soup. Sometimes, the menu is in Chinese only, so you may need help with translations.

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 12, 2021, 08:18:46 PM
But anyone trying to order one would cause a problem, because first the cashier had to know that was a thing that existed, as well as where to find it on the register, and then inevitably the kitchen would see it on their screen and ask what the hell that was, and hope that the manager knew how to make it (or had the presence of mind to look it up in the ops manual).

Wouldn't it be more likely that the order-taker would just say something like "Sorry, we don't offer that anymore"?

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on May 12, 2021, 10:03:32 PM

Wouldn't it be more likely that the order-taker would just say something like "Sorry, we don't offer that anymore"?

You think anyone accepted that answer?

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 12, 2021, 10:04:39 PM

Uh... I guess I would, because I don't really know how I wouldn't accept that answer. I can't say I've ever argued with a drive-thru order taker (although if you're referring to in-store orders, that might be a little different).

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on May 12, 2021, 10:07:45 PM

Uh... I guess I would, because I don't really know how I wouldn't accept that answer. I can't say I've ever argued with a drive-thru order taker (although if you're referring to in-store orders, that might be a little different).

"No, I've had it here before. You can do it, you just don't want to. Let me talk to a manager."

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 12, 2021, 10:16:45 PM

"No, I've had it here before. You can do it, you just don't want to. Let me talk to a manager."

Golly. I'm not one of those type of customers, or at least I try not to be. (Quite possibly stemming from the fact that it would never even occur to me to go to Burger King for a ham and cheese sandwich...)

TheHighwayMan3561

We had people who would grumble that "you guys let me do it before" (wouldn't be surprised if it was another BK that they were too dumb to realize they are the same store) and put on a pouty face, but I don't recall anyone trying to die on that hill. But I didn't work register much, so that may be why.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 12, 2021, 10:37:39 PM

We had people who would grumble that "you guys let me do it before" (wouldn't be surprised if it was another BK that they were too dumb to realize they are the same store) and put on a pouty face, but I don't recall anyone trying to die on that hill. But I didn't work register much, so that may be why.

I generally preferred to take drive-thru if at all possible, because, while you get the angriest customers, it carried the least amount of cleaning (basically just had to mop my little window area, stock cups/condiments/ice, and clean the shake machine at the end of the night). Also, after I got used to it, I found that the mental stimulus of keeping the drive-thru running correctly and efficiently was much more my style than maintaining the (far too large for our level of business) lobby or the kitchen (while it's nice to get to avoid talking to customers, staying long after close scrubbing broiler parts isn't).

jakeroot

I have learned that Popeyes will allow you to order just about anything on their menu a la carte. I don't like getting drinks from restaurants (I prefer water with food), so I order most things by themselves. Most places allow you to do this via the menu ("#1, just the sandwich" for instance), but Popeyes does not seem to advertise just 'this' or 'that' as something that can be ordered by itself. Their online ordering service (for pickup) also does not offer a la carte options, requiring either a combo or dinner. So if I want a la carte options, I have to ask very specifically ('5 tenders, by themselves', etc).

Route66Fan

When I first saw the title of the thread, I thought it had to do with hidden menus in computer software. I know that the computer game SimCity 2000 has a hidden "debug" menu.

SM-S102DL

WillWeaverRVA

Wawa used to offer a not-so-secret secret menu on their ordering kiosks, accessible by tapping the flying goose logo at the bottom of the screen. It wasn't really a true "secret menu", it was basically just limited-time specials. When Wawa redid their ordering system a couple of years ago, the secret menu went away.

Chipotle has a fairly well-known secret menu, but ordering from it generally requires a staff that's willing to go out of its way to actually make your special order. A lot of Chipotle employees resent making secret menu items, especially when they're busy. The pandemic and staffing shortages probably put an end to this, as a lot of Chipotle locations are online ordering only right now. Notably, customizable quesadillas were once something that was only available on the secret menu, but they're now on the actual menu (but only if you order online).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Scott5114

Quote from: Route66Fan on May 13, 2021, 07:56:49 AM
When I first saw the title of the thread, I thought it had to do with hidden menus in computer software. I know that the computer game SimCity 2000 has a hidden "debug" menu.

The advanced options menu on Cummins touch-screen money counters is hidden away in a particularly odd manner–clear the total from the machine, then long-press the zero on the current total display.

Roadgeekteen

Didn't mcdonalds have both the mcdouble and the double cheeseburger and only one was on the menu?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

The only difference between a McDouble and a double cheeseburger is that the latter has two slices of cheese and the former has one. The double cheeseburger was, in the late 2000s, on the dollar menu, and there was no such thing as a McDouble. But they wanted to raise the price of the double cheeseburger, but doing so would mean they'd have to remove it from the dollar menu. So they invented the McDouble and priced it at $1, hoping nobody would notice.

Later, they ran out of things they were willing to sell for $1 and the dollar menu became the $1-$2-$3 menu thing, which seems pointless to have, but whatever.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.