News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

mrcmc888

Noticed going down I-95 through Wilmington that the variant "RIGHT LANE MUST EXIT" Exit Only signs are gone.  That just leaves the two or so on the Newport Freeway...

Alex

Quote from: Alex on March 15, 2019, 08:49:53 AM
Quote from: Alex4897 on March 08, 2019, 02:03:21 PM
It might be time to say goodbye to DE Route 34, DelDOT looks poised to remove signage for it by this summer:

https://deldot.gov/projects/Studies/FaulklandRoadDeclassificatioofDE34/pdf/Faulkland.pdf

QuoteDeclassification of SR 34 may indirectly encourage drivers to use alternate routes such as SR 48 to the north, or SR 2 to the south

And what does DelDOT do two years later? Post signs for "Alt Route to Wilmington" for Faulkland Road east on SR 141 north from SR 2/Kirkwood Hwy...
Spotted two of these today.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Alex on August 16, 2021, 11:44:58 PM
It might be time to say goodbye to DE Route 34, DelDOT looks poised to remove signage for it by this summer:

https://deldot.gov/projects/Studies/FaulklandRoadDeclassificatioofDE34/pdf/Faulkland.pdf

QuoteDeclassification of SR 34 may indirectly encourage drivers to use alternate routes such as SR 48 to the north, or SR 2 to the south

And what does DelDOT do two years later? Post signs for "Alt Route to Wilmington" for Faulkland Road east on SR 141 north from SR 2/Kirkwood Hwy...

I saw these signs on DE 4 while in the area for the Delaware Road Meet a month ago.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alex4897

They put a ton of those signs up all over the place in response to the I-95 construction through town. I have to wonder what interstate trips could possibly be using Faulkland Road as a reasonable detour though.
👉😎👉

Alex

Quote from: Alex4897 on August 17, 2021, 11:20:31 PM

They put a ton of those signs up all over the place in response to the I-95 construction through town. I have to wonder what interstate trips could possibly be using Faulkland Road as a reasonable detour though.

That explains it, thanks.

Today heading south to Camden in Kent County, noted the work on new large monotubes being installed for the exits to SR 71 southbound and U.S. 40 northbound on SR 1. I'm assuming the new signs will be carbon copies on oversized panels.

The construction on SR 15 in Dover I saw in December is finished. And they added a second shield northbound where SR 15 turns east onto Hazlettsville Road as well.

A large distribution center is near completion off of POW/MIA Parkway. Gone up very quickly as it wasn't there in December.

Great Lakes Roads

ekt8750

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on August 18, 2021, 02:04:01 AM
https://www.wdel.com/news/cash-collection-temporarily-suspended-at-newark-toll-plaza/article_faf6317e-ffcb-11eb-b225-2b7c6a0ebb6e.html

Might as well switch towards AET while we are at it...  :hmmm:

If months of Covid didn't end collections, I don't think a small sewage leak will change their minds at this time either.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 18, 2021, 11:50:04 AM
https://www.wdel.com/news/cash-collection-temporarily-suspended-at-newark-toll-plaza/article_faf6317e-ffcb-11eb-b225-2b7c6a0ebb6e.html

If months of Covid didn't end collections, I don't think a small sewage leak will change their minds at this time either.

Maybe they would if the mainline plazas on both I-95 & DE 1 didn't already have express lanes, but yes DelDOT does seem content with their current tolling setup.

(In a perfect world, a 3rd lane would be added to the express lanes thru the Newark Plaza...the past couple times I've been thru there, I've noticed that most of the traffic squeezes into the 2 E-ZPass lanes while very little traffic takes the outer 2 lanes that feed into the toll booths. But given that the entire plaza was just reconstructed about a decade ago and that widening the express lanes would likely require some substantial reconstruction, I can't imagine it'll happen anytime soon - DelDOT going fully AET and simply removing the booths at some point in the future is probably the more likely outcome.)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jmacswimmer on August 18, 2021, 12:03:15 PM

Maybe they would if the mainline plazas on both I-95 & DE 1 didn't already have express lanes, but yes DelDOT does seem content with their current tolling setup.

(In a perfect world, a 3rd lane would be added to the express lanes thru the Newark Plaza...the past couple times I've been thru there, I've noticed that most of the traffic squeezes into the 2 E-ZPass lanes while very little traffic takes the outer 2 lanes that feed into the toll booths. But given that the entire plaza was just reconstructed about a decade ago and that widening the express lanes would likely require some substantial reconstruction, I can't imagine it'll happen anytime soon - DelDOT going fully AET and simply removing the booths at some point in the future is probably the more likely outcome.)

The reconstruction was a wild exaggeration from what was needed, and it going to be another costly project to remove the split.

One of the reasons stated was the SB ramp from 896 was too close to the plaza, but at over a half-mile away for a lightly used ramp, there were other options. And the NB side doesn't have this ramp issue.

Another reason was regarding the stacking of traffic into the cash lanes, although that issue disappeared fairly quickly.

Alex4897

If anything, the Delaware Memorial Bridge toll is the most likely candidate for AET reconstruction anytime in the near future. Every other booth in the state flows perfectly fine.
👉😎👉

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alex4897 on August 18, 2021, 12:33:17 PM

If anything, the Delaware Memorial Bridge toll is the most likely candidate for AET reconstruction anytime in the near future. Every other booth in the state flows perfectly fine.

And based on some recent toll plaza projects, there's no timeline for it to occur there either.

Alps

That plaza flows perfectly fine also. It's the squeezing onto I-95 that kills it.

Alex4897

Quote from: Alps on August 18, 2021, 07:20:36 PM

That plaza flows perfectly fine also. It's the squeezing onto I-95 that kills it.
That's true, I meant to point out more that every other booth had free-flowing options. Worded that poorly. Between the age of the booths and the lack of any sort of express lanes I'd expect it to get a significant rebuild before any other facility in the state, though it definitely shouldn't be a priority project for the DRBA.

As an aside, I really wish the DRBA was better about posting their planned projects for their portion of I-295. Finding detailed plans for the newly-finished and future expansion projects is always a pain in the neck, especially since it's not necessarily DelDOT's responsibility to upload to their website.
(EDIT) So the project I had in mind actually is a DelDOT project by the looks of it, not sure why I thought this was a DRBA project.

Conceptual plans are here. Looks like the gist is to slap a third lane onto I-295 NB, with the lane beginning on I-95 near Airport Road and continuing through the I-295 split all the way over US 13. The left-side CD road with the I-95/495 SB and US 13 NB ramps will be restriped to a full two lanes, utilizing the entire roadway that was built last time the area was reconstructed.
👉😎👉

Alex

Drove the completed Eagle Run Rd from SR 273 to Stanton Christiana Rd this morning. Already has two signalized intersections along it. Several driveway stubs built in to saturate the wedge between the road and I-95 with development.

The signal where SR 7 turns from Road A to Stanton Christiana Rd is now split phased. No shield assembly refercing the turn of SR 7 south there, and no reassurance marker posted afterward either.

No changes to the traffic pattern for I-95 at SR 273 yet, though there are barriers shifting traffic on both sides of SR 273. A large area of dirt is piled up on the northeast quadrant and grading is underway for the future signalized turn from I-95 to SR 273 west.

Checked out the never ending construction on SR 141. The temporary signal is still in operation southbound at I-95. There's new bases in place for a sign bridge (monutube would be my guess) to the north. New signs for SR 141 are up on I-95 southbound too.

You can easily see the large Amazon distribution center from SR 141 that was built where the GM Boxwood Road plant was. They finally corrected the SR 41 assembly on SR 2 eastbound that referenced the former overlap: https://www.aaroads.com/de/002/de-002-e-at-de-041-3.jpg

And what goes on at the Newark Toll Plaza never effects me as my drives always originate or end in Newark when I'm up here.  :)

roadman65

Hopefully they finally replace Dover for Exit 3 on I-95 as a control city as well.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alex4897 on August 18, 2021, 08:05:36 PM

That's true, I meant to point out more that every other booth had free-flowing options. Worded that poorly. Between the age of the booths and the lack of any sort of express lanes I'd expect it to get a significant rebuild before any other facility in the state, though it definitely shouldn't be a priority project for the DRBA.

What I don't like is how the lanes are striped after you go thru the plaza. 

Here's an overhead view...  https://goo.gl/maps/dLKfsG8RYMADA1ys8 .  You'll need to move it around to see everything, and even then a still picture just doesn't justify the issue because you're seeing it as a still picture, not as you're speeding up to 50 or 60 mph with other traffic right beside you.

Looking at the lanes from left to right (or in the case of the link I provided, from bottom to top), there are 13 toll lanes.  By the time you get to Route 9:

Lanes 1 - 5 Merge into 1 lane.  (Lanes 1 - 4 are typically EZ Pass only lanes).
Lane 6 continues as a single lane.
Lane 7 continues as a single lane.
Lane 8 continues as a single lane.
Lanes 9 - 13 merge into the C/D exit lane for DE 9. (Lanes 10 & 11 are typically EZ Pass only lanes)

As a result, there's an unnecessary amount of merging of traffic into a single lane for the 5 left toll lanes.  The 2 middle lanes have their own, unimpeded lane leaving the toll plaza, and the 5 right toll lanes merge into a single lane that's marked for an exit, forcing most of them to merge over again.  While DE 9 is a relatively lightly used exit just after the plaza, there's no signage prior to the plaza indicating that motorists should try to keep to the right at the plaza.

When normal, everyday traffic goes thru the plaza, it works well.  When motorists not familiar with the traffic patterns use the plaza (especially weekend/holiday traffic), there's a lot more weaving after the plaza than should be necessary.

Alex4897

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 18, 2021, 10:45:31 PM
Quote from: Alex4897 on August 18, 2021, 08:05:36 PM

Here's an overhead view...  https://goo.gl/maps/dLKfsG8RYMADA1ys8 .  You'll need to move it around to see everything, and even then a still picture just doesn't justify the issue because you're seeing it as a still picture, not as you're speeding up to 50 or 60 mph with other traffic right beside you.

Looking at the lanes from left to right (or in the case of the link I provided, from bottom to top), there are 13 toll lanes.  By the time you get to Route 9:

Lanes 9 - 13 merge into the C/D exit lane for DE 9. (Lanes 10 & 11 are typically EZ Pass only lanes)

As a result, there's an unnecessary amount of merging of traffic into a single lane for the 5 left toll lanes.  The 2 middle lanes have their own, unimpeded lane leaving the toll plaza, and the 5 right toll lanes merge into a single lane that's marked for an exit, forcing most of them to merge over again.  While DE 9 is a relatively lightly used exit just after the plaza, there's no signage prior to the plaza indicating that motorists should try to keep to the right at the plaza.

When normal, everyday traffic goes thru the plaza, it works well.  When motorists not familiar with the traffic patterns use the plaza (especially weekend/holiday traffic), there's a lot more weaving after the plaza than should be necessary.

That throws me off every time I head through that area as I usually keep left to hit those EZPass lanes. I've always been more fond of the way Maryland separates it into chunks and eases those chunks together coming off the Tydings Bridge toll.

https://image.prntscr.com/image/8gR1e-S2QTqmm2qONFhbPg.png
(edit: image cannot be hotlinked)
👉😎👉

jmacswimmer

Quote from: Alex4897 on August 19, 2021, 01:34:52 AM

That throws me off every time I head through that area as I usually keep left to hit those EZPass lanes.

Totally agreed here - I usually hit the E-ZPass lanes towards the right for the exact reason of avoiding the crunch of cars merging together from those left 5 toll lanes.

The part I find ironic is that DRBA does stripe the lanes to gradually fan out approaching the toll plaza...so why they didn't do that on the side that's (arguably) more important, I will never know!

I've always been more fond of the way Maryland separates it into chunks and eases those chunks together coming off the Tydings Bridge toll.

That was a relatively recent addition when MDTA resurfaced the approach/departure from the toll plaza...prior to that, it was a massive unmarked blob with lane lines only resuming once the roadway narrowed back to the standard 3-lane width.

(And of course, the removal of that toll plaza is now well underway.)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jmacswimmer on August 19, 2021, 08:19:33 AM
What I don't like is how the lanes are striped after you go thru the plaza...

That throws me off every time I head through that area as I usually keep left to hit those EZPass lanes.

Totally agreed here - I usually hit the E-ZPass lanes towards the right for the exact reason of avoiding the crunch of cars merging together from those left 5 toll lanes.

The part I find ironic is that DRBA does stripe the lanes to gradually fan out approaching the toll plaza...so why they didn't do that on the side that's (arguably) more important, I will never know!

Yep. Other than the unreasonable 20 mph limit approaching the toll plaza, it's generally well striped.

I tend to stay to the right also. And for people using GPS, after the plaza they're told to keep left, and they often merge left so quickly they wind up in the lanes that are ending and need to merge back!

Quote from: jmacswimmer on August 19, 2021, 08:19:33 AM
I've always been more fond of the way Maryland separates it into chunks and eases those chunks together coming off the Tydings Bridge toll.

That was a relatively recent addition when MDTA resurfaced the approach/departure from the toll plaza...prior to that, it was a massive unmarked blob with lane lines only resuming once the roadway narrowed back to the standard 3-lane width.

(And of course, the removal of that toll plaza is now well underway.)

I always thought that worked well, corralling motorists into a specific lane as they took off from the plaza.

74/171FAN

Alex

A few observations while running a couple of errands and picking up Capriotti's for lunch today.

The APL's o I-95 south for I-295 were removed and new panels for just Left Exit 5C were added in their place. This is all due to traffic being shifted over to accommodate work on the northbound side.

Most of the overheads along the Adams-Jackson section of I-95 were removed and some of the new overheads for Exit 6 are now in place. These omit SR 4.

And end shield was added for SR 491 eastbound. Parts are TriState Mall are being demolished while another section is completely shuttered. The signal for it on SR 92 (Naamans Road) should be removed at this point.

Alex4897

Quote from: Alex on August 25, 2021, 05:23:23 PM
Parts are TriState Mall are being demolished while another section is completely shuttered. The signal for it on SR 92 (Naamans Road) should be removed at this point.

The Tri-State Mall is slated to be rebuilt into a "Mixed-Use Lifestyle Center [Retail/Residential/Institutional]" area per the North Claymont Area Master Plan. The intention is to build a new road connecting that light on DE 92 to a new light on US 13 east of I-495 where the new Claymont Train Station is being built, then redevelop a significant chunk of the brownfields / abandoned retail in that general area.

http://www.wilmapco.org/ncamp1/ncampreport.pdf
The TLDR of their recommendations is on Page 62. No idea what the timetable for all this work is, they should be laying the groundwork for some of these new roadway connections with the ongoing train station construction though.
👉😎👉

bluecountry

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 26, 2021, 10:09:55 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on July 25, 2021, 09:44:59 AM
I know I am being a tad redundant but I have to ask:

1.  The construction at the junction of SB I-295 and I-95, what is being done and when will it be completed?
-I believe I was told they were making it so the shoulder lane on one side could be used for travel during peak times, but given the clearance and time it has taken, this seems like something more is being done.

295 will remain separate from 95 for a bit longer than present.  It'll go under 141 before it merges with I-95.

The shoulder lane is a completely separate project.  I haven't seen anything done about that, and don't know its timeline.

Quote from: bluecountry on July 25, 2021, 09:44:59 AM
2.  Back in 2017 there was a lot of construction on I-295 between I-95 and the DEMB, what exactly was done?

The ramp from US 13/40 North to I-295 South was moved from being a flyover to a cloverleaf ramp.  I-495 North lost its "Exit Only" lane, and the right lane became an exit lane for both I-495 North and I-95 North.  That, in turn, modified I-295 South to be 3 continuous lanes from the toll plaza to the DE 141 Exit, where the left lane became an Exit Only lane for 141 South.

-Why would the 13/40 flyover to cloverleaf help traffic?  Normally flyovers are better.
-Why would losing the I-495 exit only lane help...and how did that make I-295 SB 3 continuous lanes (actually 4 in some spots) from the DEMB Tolls to 141?

-Also, didn't the 2017 work improve I-295 NB?
1) OK ok so let me get this straight...right now I-295 SB from the DE Bridge toll plaza is
-4 lanes to the 95 NB exit
-3 lanes to the 141 exit
-2 lanes from the 141 exit to the 95 merge just before the 141 overpass

The project now will do what exactly?
-Will it add a lane on I-295 SB so it retains 3 lanes from the 141 exit to the 95 merge (will that be the shoulder)?
-Where will the merge occur, just how far after 141 underpass?

2) 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.