News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Greetings from South Carolina!

Started by jsell1968, September 23, 2016, 11:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsell1968

Hi there, I have been kind of a lurker for a while.  I am fascinated by old style US Highway shields and other road signs from the  50s and before.  I don't know why.  I would especially like to locate any photographs of roads, signs, etc, from my hometown of Brunswick, Georgia.

I remember when I was a little kid and my dad took me out to where they were building the Spur (GA SPUR 25) from US 17 up to I-95.  I was interested in the grading and paving operations.

I have been messing around with that Shield Generator for years. Something tells me I am in the right place.

Ben Sellers

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Alex

Welcome to the board!

Speaking of Brunswick road history and GA Spur 25, do you know if Business Loop I-95 was ever posted there?

A Chamber of Commerce map from 25 years ago showed a business loop:

jbnati27

jsell1968

Alex, that is a startling map, as I was not aware that it was once signed as a business loop.  The section on exit 38 (Exit 8 on your map) has always been four-laned, but with multiple at-grade intersections with stop lights.  There are plenty of  big box stores and a mall along the route.  Everybody in Brunswick just calls it "The Spur".

The other entrance shown on your map (exit 29/6) has mostly been two-laned for years and is US 17 cosigned with GA 520 and GA 25.

I have never seen any Business Loop signage.  Very interesting!

I will ask my Dad about it.

Ben

noelbotevera

There's two Alexs here. I'm from PA, originally born in NC, and is also called Alex.

Welcome from currently overcast Wisconsin!
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

7/8

Welcome from Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario!

amroad17

Hello from Northern Kentucky!  Welcome to the forum.

As you see by my name, I used to have a US 17 avatar.  I changed it to I-81 in honor of the first free interstate I ever rode on in Syracuse, NY.  Besides, there is an ongoing, engaging debate (war) about what to do with the I-81 viaduct in Syracuse, which, basically, is on its last legs.

I remember back in the mid 1970's when I-95 was being constructed around Brunswick.  On our family trips to Florida (from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia) we had to get off I-95, take GA 303 to US 17, then take GA Spur 25 near Woodbine to get back on I-95 South.  Looking back, that was fun and interesting.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

TR69

You are indeed in the right place.

I love road signs, especially old ones, too. And old highway alignments.

Welcome from Louisville KY!

SignGeek101

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jwolfer

Quote from: amroad17 on September 24, 2016, 05:31:56 AM
Hello from Northern Kentucky!  Welcome to the forum.

As you see by my name, I used to have a US 17 avatar.  I changed it to I-81 in honor of the first free interstate I ever rode on in Syracuse, NY.  Besides, there is an ongoing, engaging debate (war) about what to do with the I-81 viaduct in Syracuse, which, basically, is on its last legs.

I remember back in the mid 1970's when I-95 was being constructed around Brunswick.  On our family trips to Florida (from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia) we had to get off I-95, take GA 303 to US 17, then take GA Spur 25 near Woodbine to get back on I-95 South.  Looking back, that was fun and interesting.
I remember this detour as well. I was little but i remember seeing JUNCTION spelled out on sign for US 84/SR (cant remember)... 84 and 82 east of Brunswick switched places in the 70s or 80s.

I drove to Brunswick yesterday to check out post Matthew damage and drive over Sidney Lanier bridge

LGMS428

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.