News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Thanksgiving 2017 Roadtrips

Started by ParrDa, October 14, 2017, 11:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Does anyone have any road trips planned (family or otherwise) for Thanksgiving 2017?

7/8

I already had my Thanksgiving trip. :) Last Monday, my family drove up to Parry Sound to visit my younger brother, who gave us a "fall colours" tour in a float plane! Here's some of the photos I took:

1995hoo

My parents live about 20 minutes from us and we're going over to their place. Not much of a roadtrip!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

pumpkineater2

I'll be driving 2 hours south to be with my family in Phoenix. Other than that, no real road trips planned for the holiday.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

hbelkins

A good weekend to avoid the crowds and the traffic.

If I'm lucky, I'll come home from work Wednesday evening and not leave the place until I head out for work on Monday.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

To drive to Gobles, Michigan, hunt down and kill two trees, tying them to the top of the car to take back to Illinois.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

No plans.  My folks live 10 miles away, though.

Thanksgiving is my least favorite to drive long-distance anyway, though, due to two factors:  [1] heavy traffic, [2] almost all restaurants being closed.

My wife and I once waited in a McDonald's drive-through at lunch time on Thanksgiving, and it was taking forever.  Wondering if they were actually open, I got out and read the special hours notice on the door, and we were there within the open hours.  So we waited.  Finally, the car in front moved ahead.  Then we waited forever again, until finally the next car moved ahead.  And so forth.  When we eventually got up to the front, nobody was on the other end of the speaker.  So all those other people had figured out the restaurant was closed and then driven off without bothering to tell the rest of us.  I made darned sure to tell everyone else waiting before we left.  So we made our way to the next McDonald's, finding a long line of cars in the drive-through.  Not wanting to go through all of that again, I did a drive-around and noticed all the lights were off inside the building.  OK, gas station lunch it is!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

We went to Kansas City last year to celebrate Thanksgiving with relatives who were coming from Omaha, Nebraska.  We did not find traffic to be heavy on Thanksgiving Day itself, though that is largely due to this being the (relatively) thinly populated Midwest.  We had Thanksgiving dinner at a restaurant, but as it was a set meal for which we had made reservations more than a month in advance, I am not sure walk-ins were being accepted.

The following day I had a vague plan to check out SR 152 or go to the Nelson-Atkins, but I was put off by Black Friday traffic.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on October 17, 2017, 01:20:25 PM
No plans.  My folks live 10 miles away, though.

Thanksgiving is my least favorite to drive long-distance anyway, though, due to two factors:  [1] heavy traffic, [2] almost all restaurants being closed.

My wife and I once waited in a McDonald's drive-through at lunch time on Thanksgiving, and it was taking forever.  Wondering if they were actually open, I got out and read the special hours notice on the door, and we were there within the open hours.  So we waited.  Finally, the car in front moved ahead.  Then we waited forever again, until finally the next car moved ahead.  And so forth.  When we eventually got up to the front, nobody was on the other end of the speaker.  So all those other people had figured out the restaurant was closed and then driven off without bothering to tell the rest of us.  I made darned sure to tell everyone else waiting before we left.  So we made our way to the next McDonald's, finding a long line of cars in the drive-through.  Not wanting to go through all of that again, I did a drive-around and noticed all the lights were off inside the building.  OK, gas station lunch it is!

I wonder how many of those people complained when malls and Walmarts said they'll be open on Thanksgiving.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.