News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Bridgehunter.com

Started by bugo, June 02, 2010, 12:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Just in case anybody is unaware of the existence of bridgehunter.com, here is a link to the Bible of Bridges:

http://bridgehunter.com/

I highly recommend the site.  There are over 10,000 bridges listed. 

roadman65

Some of the bridges need updating real badly.  It still shows the old Shrewsbury River Bridge in Highlands, NJ as being current when it was replaced a few years ago.

In Boonton, NJ the Jersey City Reservoir Bridge has since been replaced according to Alps Roads and it still shows the original structure as existing to this day.

It is a good site, otherwise.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US71

Quote from: roadman65 on February 11, 2012, 06:48:25 PM
Some of the bridges need updating real badly.  It still shows the old Shrewsbury River Bridge in Highlands, NJ as being current when it was replaced a few years ago.

In Boonton, NJ the Jersey City Reservoir Bridge has since been replaced according to Alps Roads and it still shows the original structure as existing to this day.

It is a good site, otherwise.

Feel free to sign up for an account or leave a message in the comments area. :)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Alps

I've made a couple of comments. They need more East Coast moderators - they're very heavily Central States biased in that regard.

US71

Quote from: Steve on February 12, 2012, 09:43:10 PM
I've made a couple of comments. They need more East Coast moderators - they're very heavily Central States biased in that regard.

By all means, sign up to be an editor. :)

The site owner is based in Cape Girardeau, which leads to some of the bias (plus it was originally "MidWestPlaces.com" and the bridges took over)

mcdonaat

I'm signed up as an editor on the site, and trying to update the bridges in my own state (Louisiana, still a central state, I guess). However, uglybridges.com has a really nice feature where you can see old bridges, when they were built, who owns them, etc... for EVERY bridge in the USA.

D-Dey65

Quote from: mcdonaat on April 14, 2012, 02:50:02 AM
I'm signed up as an editor on the site, and trying to update the bridges in my own state (Louisiana, still a central state, I guess). However, uglybridges.com has a really nice feature where you can see old bridges, when they were built, who owns them, etc... for EVERY bridge in the USA.
I've already added some comments on that site, and I'm glad somebody mentioned the affiliated "UglyBridges.com." Although I really want to remove my e-mail address from one of them. Somehow I had the impression that it was required, and that they would conceal it.

In any case, I stumbled upon one bridge in the Hamptons that is said to be structurally deficient:
http://uglybridges.com/1383380

It makes me wonder if the East End NIMBYists are stopping that bridge from being replaced, or rebuilt, just like they did with the Sunrise Highway extension, and the Sag Harbor-Amagansett Highway, and the widening of Long Lane.

US71

I've been busy adding photos from my recent trip and adding a couple new finds. ;)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.