News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

1933 Texaco Texas/Oklahoma Map

Started by Brian556, September 06, 2012, 06:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

1927 (shown here for comapison purposes)

Notice that there are obvious errors on the 1933 map. The biggest is that it shows SH 121 between Lewisville and McKinney; this section wasn't built till the early 50's. It's very strange that the 1933 shows alot more jogs and stairsteps in highway alignments that, if they existed at all, whould have been earlier, not later. I wonder if the Rand map could have smoothed their lines any, but i think it's more likely that the 1933 map is riddled with errors.

Notice that the 1933 map shows US 75 passing west of Angus. The 1927 map shows it passing through. The alignment of US 75 between Ennis and Corsicana did change, the straighter alignment through Emhouse (on hte 1927 map) can be varified by old the concrete highway on streetview.

Notice the odd stairstep on US 81 south of Ft Worth.
Notice the US 80N/TX1A west of Ft Worth.
Both maps shows an old alignment of TX 10 (US 377) near Benbrook. The old alignment is depicted differently on each of these maps.

agentsteel53

US 80N is documented on Robert Droz's site as having existed 1931-1934.  one map apparently showed the pair as 80/80S, but this appears to be an error.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Quote from: Brian556 on September 06, 2012, 06:44:18 PM
Notice that there are obvious errors on the 1933 map. The biggest is that it shows SH 121 between Lewisville and McKinney; this section wasn't built till the early 50's.
The scan is too crappy to tell, but could it be showing it as proposed?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

Is there any way you could post a high-resolution scan of these maps?  I live in Oklahoma and I'm very interested in Texas highway history so larger versions of these maps would be very much welcomed.

Brian556

Brian556

QuoteNotice that there are obvious errors on the 1933 map. The biggest is that it shows SH 121 between Lewisville and McKinney; this section wasn't built till the early 50's.
The scan is too crappy to tell, but could it be showing it as proposed?

No, proposed highways are double broken lines on this map. The symbol used means "dirt road". According to TxDot's General Highway Maps, there wasn't a county road on the alignment prior to SH 121 being constructed.

bugo

Thanks, Brian!  I appreciate it.  More maps for my collection.

Road Hog

The 1927 map has errors, also. It shows Denton, Little Elm and Frisco as all being on the same east-west line as McKinney, which they are not. It has SH 24 following the direct path of today's US 380 between Denton and McKinney, when in fact it followed roughly what is Eldorado Parkway and Main Street in Frisco today. (That route is largely at the bottom of Lake Lewisville.)

Brian556

QuoteThe 1927 map has errors, also. It shows Denton, Little Elm and Frisco as all being on the same east-west line as McKinney, which they are not. It has SH 24 following the direct path of today's US 380 between Denton and McKinney, when in fact it followed roughly what is Eldorado Parkway and Main Street in Frisco today. (That route is largely at the bottom of Lake Lewisville.)

Yeah, it has Frisco and Little Elm too far north on the 1927 map. It also shows Krum as being on SH 24, which it was not.The 1933  fails to shown the original Lake Dallas reservoir, which was completed in 1928.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.