News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Maximum Commute Distance

Started by webny99, February 16, 2018, 08:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the mean travel time to work is 26.6 minutes.

There is a lot of anecdotal evidence of people commuting 2 hours each way, but they are outliers. Only 9.1% of Americans commute more than 60 minutes each way. Even in Riverside County, CA, known for brutal commutes, the mean commuting time is 33.8 minutes, but 19.2% of its residents commute over 60 minutes each way. However 65% of Riverside County residents commute under 34 minutes each way.

It's interesting to see that the average commute time in sprawling, congested places is not really much longer than that of Manhattan, where the average commute time is 32.5 minutes. The average commute in Los Angeles County is even slightly shorter than that of residents of Manhattan.

jwolfer

Quote from: Rothman on February 18, 2018, 11:43:35 PM
I lived in the DC area.  I know how it is.  Just sounds like someone was overly determined to get to work, that's all.
The way I read the OP it was getting home from work.. I would imagine the forecast was off so it was an unexpected happening

Z981

Mapmikey

Quote from: jwolfer on February 19, 2018, 08:57:01 AM
I lived in the DC area.  I know how it is.  Just sounds like someone was overly determined to get to work, that's all.
The way I read the OP it was getting home from work.. I would imagine the forecast was off so it was an unexpected happening

Z981

Was definitely going home...she made it around midnight

Rothman

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 19, 2018, 01:07:31 PM
Quote from: jwolfer on February 19, 2018, 08:57:01 AM

Z981

Was definitely going home...she made it around midnight
Eesh.  I suppose that makes more sense.  Would have gone home earlier. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jwolfer

I think in the past they tried to be more realistic in forecasts..  now every run of the mill winter storm is given a name and the tell us it's gonna be the end of the world that Cleveland got a foot of snow...(I am waiting for summer thunderstorms in Florida to get names lol)

Same thing with hurricanes.. every single tropical storm is overblown and they show the same  downed tree over and over again like it's Armageddon.

The overdramatic presentation of weather events will have a chicken little effect.

Z981

hotdogPi

Quote from: jwolfer on February 19, 2018, 02:31:59 PM
I think in the past they tried to be more realistic in forecasts..  now every run of the mill winter storm is given a name and the tell us it's gonna be the end of the world that Cleveland got a foot of snow...(I am waiting for summer thunderstorms in Florida to get names lol)

Same thing with hurricanes.. every single tropical storm is overblown and they show the same  downed tree over and over again like it's Armageddon.

The overdramatic presentation of weather events will have a chicken little effect.

Z981

About winter storms: Officially, they aren't named, at least for those in the United States. All winter storm names are unofficial, unless you consider the year/days they happened to be a name.

About hurricanes: 2017 was an abnormal year. Puerto Rico permanently lost 1/10 of its population, and Harvey was very damaging, too. (Irma was a bit overblown, but that was because the general public saw it coming much earlier than normal due to Harvey being in the news.)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

adventurernumber1

When I was in 8th Grade a few years ago (the 2013-2014 School Year), I had a Literature teacher that had an extremely long commute. According to him, he drove 2 hours every day to get to my school here in Dalton, GA from his home in the rural countryside somewhat close to Blue Ridge, GA, and he had to drive 2 hours again on the way back home (which was a total daily commute time of around 4 hours). I was so shocked when he told us (the class) that - I had never heard of such a long (both in time and distance together) commute in my life for a typical occupation like a teacher.  :-o

I admired him very much for that, since he would have to be very determined to make that commute every day. I thought it was so incredibly cool that he did that (because of how much driving (and seeing roads) it was), but I could see how that commute could get old pretty quick, with factors such as traffic and physical fatigue and monotony and more.  :paranoid:  :-D

This stands, by far, as the longest consistent commute made by anyone I personally know, and it is definitely a long one.  :wow:

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

US 89

Utah's lieutenant governor Spencer Cox lives in Fairview UT and commutes every day to Salt Lake City, 100 miles each way.

When I was in elementary school in Salt Lake City, there was a kid who lived in Wendover. That was 120 miles each way.

slorydn1

To answer the OP, I wouldn't consider any regular one way commute longer than 30 minutes anymore. At this point in my career I just don't see the need to go any further than that.

During high school my garage door to classroom commute was either 2.5 hrs (car-bus-train-train-walk) or 70-75 mins (car only). I had to do option 1 most days because it cost at least $10 for me to park anywhere near my high school vs $1.10 (with transfer) on the Pace bus/CTA trains.

My current 20+ year commute is either 7.7 or 9.2 miles depending on which way I decide to go to work and they both average right at 12-13 minutes. Because of that I usually go the 9.2 mile route as it allows higher speeds, less stop lights for me to fume at (why does it only seem go or stay red when I pull up but it goes green for the other guy as soon as he pulls up to the line, lol).
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

bzakharin

I have a 50-60 mile (depending on route) 60 minute commute 3 times a week. This is the maximum I will tolerate at this stage of my life (well, maybe 5 days a week, but it's a stretch). Back when I got my first real job, it was 35 minutes by car + 35 minutes by train + 10 minutes by taxi + waiting in between. I managed to handle that for 6 months before moving so that my commute was 10 minutes. By foot.

doorknob60

My longest commute was 22 miles. Roughly 30 minutes in the morning, and 35-45 in the afternoon (record was about an hour). Now I moved closer and it's 9 miles and 15 minutes in the morning, roughly 20 in the afternoon unless there's snow or an accident (record about 50 minutes).

NWI_Irish96

About 6 months ago I accepted a job transfer to Oak Brook, IL.  We decided to live in Munster, IN, for school and tax reasons.  My commute is 37 miles, which translates to 50-55 minutes in "normal" rush hour traffic but gets well over an hour in bad weather and/or if there is an accident.  It's really more than I ever imagined I'd commute for a job but the financial considerations are worth it.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Sanctimoniously

My current commute back and forth to work is roughly 25 minutes or so, on about 18 miles of country road, where the biggest inconvenience is a timid grandmother who handles her minivan like it's a dump truck. I briefly had a commute of an hour each way (Louisa County to Waynesboro, VA) when I had to relocate. Previously, my commute back and forth to work was about 15 minutes through town, while my school commutes averaged about 35 minutes one way on rural highways and interstate. Occasionally there would be some cataclysm on I-64 that would stretch it out to an hour or more, even if I could get off the interstate, but US 250 is the only other convenient alternate route there.
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

seicer

Most of my commutes have been close - either a place I can bike to within 30 minutes and shower at, or a place I can drive to within that same time frame. The longest commute I had was 30 minutes between Lexington, Ky. and Frankfort, which often became commutes of one hour or more if there was an accident, road work and such. I had a variety of routes to choose from, but it didn't matter. It just made me tired and was part of the reason why I left my job a year later.

The shortest commute of them all has been my current job - which is a 3-minute drive up the hill. The hill is partly one reason why I haven't biked to work, which takes about 25 minutes to bike and about 50 minutes to walk. But the rent in Ithaca, Ny. is so expensive that I am considering moving to the country or another town (Watkins Glen?) and doing a 30 minute commute to save on rent.

freddyb590

I know a guy that travels daily from Keene, NH to Albany, NY and back (98.5 mi / 2 hr 20 min - one way).

Commutes for most of my career have been about an hour.  Right now, 40 miles takes me an hour (or 75 min in heavy traffic).

Rothman

Keene to Albany every day?  Insanity. 
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Rothman on February 27, 2018, 04:31:26 PM

And even though Vermont and New Hampshire are very small states, if you think about it, technically this person's everyday commute passes through three different states (assuming that he does in fact travel through Vermont on his commute) - New Hampshire, Vermont, and New York.  :-o
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Jim

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on February 27, 2018, 06:16:02 PM

And even though Vermont and New Hampshire are very small states, if you think about it, technically this person's everyday commute passes through three different states (assuming that he does in fact travel through Vermont on his commute) - New Hampshire, Vermont, and New York.  :-o

That one is more than I could manage since there's no good way to do it, especially in bad weather or tourist seasons.  But 3-state commutes can be manageable.  Live in one of the Hoosick, NY, area or Williamstown, MA, area and work in the other, and your commute wouldn't be long but would likely cut the corner on 346 and 7 through Pownal, VT.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

jwolfer

I knew a guy in college who was from Penns Grove, NJ.. right near the Delaware Memorial Bridge.. his dad commuted from there to near Baltimore, MD..  3 states every work day.. NJ, DE and MD

Z981

vdeane

Since New York and New Hampshire don't border each other, unless he has an airplane or helicopter, there isn't any way he wouldn't be traveling through three (possibly even four!) states.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

I commuted from MD to DC (Greenbelt to Dupont Circle) every day.  Horrible.  Never going back to a long commute.  Ever.

Right after my stint there, I commuted from WI to MN (Superior to Duluth).  Best commute I have ever had.

Also commuted from VA to DC over a summer between grad school years (Falls Church to L'Enfant Plaza) after WI.  Not as bad as when I had lived in MD.

jon daly

Quote from: Jim on February 27, 2018, 06:46:00 PM

That one is more than I could manage since there's no good way to do it, especially in bad weather or tourist seasons.  But 3-state commutes can be manageable.  Live in one of the Hoosick, NY, area or Williamstown, MA, area and work in the other, and your commute wouldn't be long but would likely cut the corner on 346 and 7 through Pownal, VT.

I live in Mystic, CT and work in Riverside, RI. But I sometimes go over the state line to Seekonk, MA to gas up (prices are lower there.) For @ five years I've had commutes from SE Connecticut to the Hartford or Providence area. I'm in financial services (and my types of jobs usually congregate around big cities) and met a woman from that area. Mystic is inconveniently located to metro areas. I may finally take the plunge  and move closer to work. Mentally, I don't mind the drive, but it's physically tiring if I hit too much traffic and there's other things I'd like to do with my time.

kennyshark

Mine is about 30 miles each way, using mostly I-696, just north of the I-696/I-275/I-96/M-5 interchange in Novi/Farmington Hills, MI.  Usually takes about 45 minutes in the AM, an hour or so PM.  If it snows, I just use the surface or "mile" roads, for which you have to plan carefully.  Right now, my AM commute is a little longer timewise, on account of I-696 being closed between I-94 & I-75 until November.

But if you think that's stressful, I've had coworkers (no longer here) who have commuted 70 or 80 miles, from such places as Oregon, OH (outside Toledo) or the Frankenmuth area.  I couldn't handle that.

riiga

My current commute is 3.5 km, which is 10 min by car + 5 min walking from the parking, or just under 15 min by bike. I would put my maximum distance at about 40-50 km or 30 minutes of travel. More than that is a waste of time, and despite enjoying driving, I wouldn't want to spend more than an hour in the car everyday just to get to and from work.

jon daly

Quote from: jon daly on May 18, 2018, 10:30:11 AM
Quote from: Jim on February 27, 2018, 06:46:00 PM

I live in Mystic, CT and work in Riverside, RI. But I sometimes go over the state line to Seekonk, MA to gas up (prices are lower there.) For @ five years I've had commutes from SE Connecticut to the Hartford or Providence area. I'm in financial services (and my types of jobs usually congregate around big cities) and met a woman from that area. Mystic is inconveniently located to metro areas. I may finally take the plunge  and move closer to work. Mentally, I don't mind the drive, but it's physically tiring if I hit too much traffic and there's other things I'd like to do with my time.

Meant to say that distance-wise, it is about 55 miles. Timewise, it is an hour on a good day to an hour and a half on a bad one.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.