News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Longest Commercial Corridors

Started by webny99, June 29, 2020, 04:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

What are some of the longest stretches of road where the strip malls, restaurants, and just general store fronts and businesses, seem to be never-ending? I am mainly looking for examples that (a) are clearly not rural, and (b) are clearly not residential. As long as it meets those criteria, then tell us about it!

I'll start off with this stretch of NY 404 - 5 miles in length, and 15 stoplights, but an absolute eternity to drive in one sitting. Find me the freeway!!
Across town, NY 104 has about 7 miles of this - also painful, but at least it's mostly six lanes now!

hotdogPi

MA/NH 28 between MA 213 and NH 111, slightly over 6 miles. Tax free shopping in New Hampshire!
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

TheHighwayMan3561

Lyndale Avenue from I-94 in Minneapolis to 98th St in Bloomington
The adjacent Hiawatha and Minnehaha Avenues
France Avenue between 494 and Crosstown
County 3 (Lake/Excelsior) from Hopkins through Minneapolis
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ftballfan

28th St in Grand Rapids, MI is almost completely commercial from I-196 in Grandville to Cascade Rd in Cascade Township, a distance of 13 and a half miles.

plain

Except for brief instances where it intercepts I-64, Broad St (US 250) in the Richmond metro fits the bill from near VA 288 all the way to Downtown Richmond, a distance of about 14 miles.
Newark born, Richmond bred

KCRoadFan

A couple years ago I followed the entire length of US 1, from Fort Kent, Maine to Key West, Florida, in Street View - to me, it seemed like the stretch from New Haven, through western Connecticut and Westchester into NYC, was pretty much one long commercial strip. To those who live in that region - does that seem right?

(From the same Street View trip, I also got the same impression with the stretch in South Florida, from Jupiter all the way down to Homestead - about 120 miles in all!)

westerninterloper

US 20 from Perrysburg to Sylvania along the southwest side of Toledo is almost all commercial, save for a few blocks of residential in historic P'burg. Distance, about 15 miles.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

STLmapboy

Manchester Rd (MO-100) in West County, St. Louis. It's kind of in a valley amidst suburbs, and was labelled jokingly "the world's longest collection of strip malls" on judgmentalmaps.com. I would say 17 miles from the city line to Wildwood (when it becomes a divided highway with a grassy median).
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

amroad17

Virginia Beach Blvd. from Ballantine Blvd. in Norfolk, VA to, at least, First Colonial Road in Virginia Beach--about 15 miles.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

KCRoadFan

Quote from: STLmapboy on June 29, 2020, 11:39:47 PM
Manchester Rd (MO-100) in West County, St. Louis. It's kind of in a valley amidst suburbs, and was labelled jokingly "the world's longest collection of strip malls" on judgmentalmaps.com. I would say 17 miles from the city line to Wildwood (when it becomes a divided highway with a grassy median).

Further south, Watson Road/Chippewa Street (MO-366) is pretty much the same story.

STLmapboy

Quote from: KCRoadFan on June 29, 2020, 11:48:09 PM
Quote from: STLmapboy on June 29, 2020, 11:39:47 PM

Further south, Watson Road/Chippewa Street (MO-366) is pretty much the same story.

Slightly less affluent (and a bit more burnt out in parts, like the old Crestwood Mall) but yeah.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Roadrunner75

This would apply to numerous major roads in northern NJ - 1/9, 17, 22, 46...  A few in South Jersey too - 130, 70, 73, 38...

STLmapboy

Quote from: webny99 on June 29, 2020, 04:19:30 PM
What are some of the longest stretches of road where the strip malls, restaurants, and just general store fronts and businesses, seem to be never-ending? I am mainly looking for examples that (a) are clearly not rural, and (b) are clearly not residential. As long as it meets those criteria, then tell us about it!

I'll start off with this stretch of NY 404 - 5 miles in length, and 15 stoplights, but an absolute eternity to drive in one sitting. Find me the freeway!!
Across town, NY 104 has about 7 miles of this - also painful, but at least it's mostly six lanes now!

Isn't NY 404 the one with all the faulty US 404 shields?
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Roadrunner75

Quote from: STLmapboy on June 30, 2020, 12:45:04 AM

Definitely sounds like a 404 error, because the correct shields were not found.

webny99

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on June 30, 2020, 12:50:27 AM
Quote from: STLmapboy on June 30, 2020, 12:45:04 AM

Definitely sounds like a 404 error, because the correct shields were not found.

LOL, yep, although they're finally getting it right with some of the newer installs.

Scott5114

Are you wanting to limit this to numbered routes? Otherwise, you could pick any street in the grid of any city west of the Mississippi and get 20 miles of commercial corridor easy.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jmacswimmer

MD 235 from MD 246 to MD 4 in St. Mary's County has 5 miles of commercial development (most of which is there as a direct result of the Patuxent River Naval Air Station).

MD 140 from Pikesville all the way to Reisterstown is a nonstop 10-mile stretch of development.  Luckily, I-795 exists to bypass most of this!
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 30, 2020, 08:05:25 AM
Are you wanting to limit this to numbered routes? Otherwise, you could pick any street in the grid of any city west of the Mississippi and get 20 miles of commercial corridor easy.

It never occurred to me that we might need to limit it to numbered routes. In my area, I can't think of any non-numbered examples. Commercial development tends to cluster around the numbered routes, while the non-numbered routes (and unsigned county routes)  serve residential areas.

But now I'm interested to see some non-numbered examples, so I won't limit it!  :)

CoreySamson

This stretch of FM 518 in Pearland and Friendswood is traffic light hell. Not to mention, there are tons of businesses and there is always horrific traffic:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/29.5550368,-95.4217008/29.5064443,-95.1857703/@29.5491546,-95.4099495,14994m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: webny99 on June 30, 2020, 08:50:08 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 30, 2020, 08:05:25 AM

It never occurred to me that we might need to limit it to numbered routes. In my area, I can't think of any non-numbered examples. Commercial development tends to cluster around the numbered routes, while the non-numbered routes (and unsigned county routes)  serve residential areas.

But now I'm interested to see some non-numbered examples, so I won't limit it!  :)

It's the opposite here, where most surface mileage has been turned back to counties and cities. Hiawatha is MN 55, and maybe you could argue US 61 (which is on the kill list) in the east metro, but that's about it.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

frankenroad

On a recent visit to the area, I was surprised to see US-50 from Lawrenceburg, IN to Aurora, IN was one long strip like that.  It's only 4 miles, but it's in what I consider to be an outer suburb, semi-rural area.  The whole county has a population of about 50,000.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Ned Weasel

Does I-10 through El Paso count?
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

webny99

Quote from: stridentweasel on June 30, 2020, 12:09:27 PM

In spirit yes; but in practice no.  :-P

STLmapboy

Quote from: webny99 on June 30, 2020, 01:00:24 PM
Quote from: stridentweasel on June 30, 2020, 12:09:27 PM

In spirit yes; but in practice no.  :-P

What about the I-10 Frontage roads through there?  :sombrero:
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

sprjus4

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.